Advice on Portland trip

Apr 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Advice on Portland trip

My husband and I are traveling to Portland this June with our 11 month old. We have to be in Portland for 2 nights for a family event. But, I have 3 more nights during the trip:
1) Should we stay in Portland the whole time and do day trips to the river gorge area/Mt. Hood, wineries, etc. OR
2) Should we stay in Portland for two nights and then stay the other three nights somewhere in the river gorge area--is there enough to see there for 3 days?
3) And if we stay in Portland, we'd like a hotel with a 2 bedroom suite so we can put our baby in her own room--we all get better rest. But, we'd like a central location and good rate (too much to ask?) Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Apr 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM

A lot depends on how your 11 mo old travels and if you can leave your 11 mo old during the day with relatives. If your baby sleeps while you drive or you can leave her with relatives, I'd consider doing the day trips from Portland. If not, I'd consider spending the 3 nights at Canon beach and not in the Gorge. There is not enough to do in the Gorge for 3 nights with a baby in tow. At the beach, you can drive short distances for interesting and varied activities and just enjoy the constantly changing beauty of the scenery.
Apr 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
mms

I agree with Orcas on all counts.

The one hotel here that I think would be a good fit for you is the Embassy Suites in downtown. I have not personally stayed there, but it has a great reputation and is supposedly nicer than most Embassy Suites. I would call and ask about the 2 bedroom suite. If that does not work you could always get two connecting rooms, if you are comfortable with that.

If you go to Cannon Beach, a nice place to stay is the Surfsand Resort. We have stayed there many times and they are very family friendly. They have suites, so you would be able to put your child down for a nap in a separate room. Be sure to ask for a room that faces the water. The views are great, they look out at Haystack Rock.
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM

At the risk of being repetitive in recommending a hotel that my husband and I loved in Portland, the 5th Avenue Suites would be perfect for you!
The rooms are large and beautiful,it is a lovely hotel and the service is great.. And very well located in the middle of downtown within walking distance of transportation and stores and great restaurants.
(take me with you , I will babysit
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM
mms

Scarlett--I can't believe I didn't think of that one! Especially since I am staying there very soon! Guess I am more distracted than I thought.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Kal

Why Scarlett, my dear...
Repetitive recs on Portland threads?

It's like "gambling at Rick's"..."I'm shocked"!

BTW...I'm still trying to figger' out who that beautiful French woman was in that pic you sent us. Maybe I'll bring in Interpol? :-?
Apr 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM

LOL Kal
Apr 20th, 2005, 09:03 AM

I too would recommend 5th Avenue Suite - love that place! However, if you're going to be in Portland the weekend of June 10-12th then you may want to consider a different property since 5th Avenue Suites and Hotel Vintage plaza are booked. Hubby and I will be in Portland that weekend for our anniversary and I called 5th Avenue on Monday and they were booked (I just thought the website was wrong). I was sooo bummed. They also told me their sister hotel (Vintage Plaza) was also booked that weekend. I suspect the full capacity may be do to the Rose Festival going on, or perhaps graduation weekends, but who knows.

As a result, I priced out the Westin, River Place, and Embassy Suites. River Place looks really nice, but it's more expensive than the other two and a little too far away from the "action" for us. Westin was the most affordable of the three and has a great location right in the middle of downtown. Embassy's price was in the middle. We chose to book with the Embassy Suites because of its location to Saturday Market, riverfront, and max - plus breakfast is in included in the price and the rooms are larger than the Westin. Hopefully we'll be happy with our choice.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this information out there in case you do have plans to be in Portland the weekend of June 10th - you may want to book soon.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Cheers,
Tracey
Apr 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Did you check the Heathman ?
I agree, Riverplace is so out of the way, and I believe the rooms are on the small side, if you want a suite or a larger room.
Apr 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM

FYI, the Portland Rose Festival runs from June 2 through 12. It is quite busy in town during that week. There is a "fun center" set up on the waterfront in the downtown area (basically between the Burnside and Hawthorne Bridges). The Starlight Parade is the evening of June 4 and the Grand Floral Parade is Saturday June 11. There are other events going on as well, so keep this in mind if your visit is during this time.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
sks

Just my personal opinion - but I wouldn't go out of my way to be in Portland for the Rose Festival. I wouldn't really avoid it either - but I definitly wouldn't make it part of the trip. Everyone has different tastes but I don't think it's anything special and the 'fun center' leaves a lot to be desired.