Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Are 15 days enough to visit New York and Pittsburgh?

Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

It is the first time that I decided to head to the US! I'm going to visit a friend who lives in Pittsburgh and I was thinking I could combine it with an escape to New York as well.

Thinking of staying 7-10 in New York and another maybe 7 days at my friend's house in Pennsylvania. Might try to go to DC as well if the schedule and budget allow it.

Please advise how many days is the less possible I should spend to see the best places in New York?
Also, do add some info about what should be missed when you visit the Big Apple for the first time.

Thanks a lot!

A.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 12:41 AM

First, you need a guidebook.

It’s worth considering taking some time from New York for Philadelphia and DC. It obviously depends on dates, and I don’t know what lodging budget you have, but both cities are frequently cheaper than NYC. Also, the Smithsonians in DC are all FREE. So is the zoo. DC is one of the cheapest destinations I’ve been to in the US. And I really enjoy Philadelphia. I love NYC and you could spend weeks and still not see everything, but I found it expensive, and I visited at a cheap time of year.

In New York, the Metropolitan Museum is amazing.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 02:55 AM

Really agree about going to Washington, and as noted many things are free admission.
But yes, 2 weeks is a great amount of time. And you can see a lot.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 06:47 AM

That's plenty of time to see NYC and Pittsburgh as well as DC. Pittsburgh is a long way from all of these places, so just understand that you will spend at least 6 hours traveling unless you fly. You may also want to stop off in Philadelphia.

A good itinerary might be: Pittsburgh==>Philadelphia (stopover for 1 night)==>DC (for at least 2 or 3 nights)==>NYC for as long as you wish. When you're in Pittsburgh, perhaps you can see some of the great Frank Lloyd Wright houses in the area if you're in to architecture.

This itinerary can be done by train, and if you book your tickets in advance they are pretty cheap. You could also fly to NYC and visit Philadelphia and DC from there, but the train could be much cheaper.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 08:16 AM

DC is one of the cheapest destinations I’ve been to in the US.

I've been to DC many times (kids live there). While the museums are free, the hotels and restaurants are right up there with the more expensive cities in the US.

I do think two weeks, you have plenty of time. I'd recommend NY (5 nights), Philadelphia (2 nights), DC (4 nights), Pittsburgh (4 nights - mainly because you're visiting a friend, otherwise just 1 or 2 nights).
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 08:36 AM

DC hotels aren't cheap, except sometimes on weekends in off-months they can be.

15 days is plenty, now NY is the expensive place so you probably aren't going to want to spend 7 days there. YOu don't really mean 7-10 days in New York City alone, do you? I just never heard of anyone being that interested in visiting Albany, for example.
I agree with sf7307 on possible allocation of days.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 08:54 AM

If your friend and you will be driving to DC from Pittsburgh, it's only 4 hrs.
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 10:07 AM

Yes, but a significant portion of my budget goes to museums and entertainment in other cities. In DC that can go towards food. The hotels certainly aren’t cheap but I don’t find them as expensive as say SF or NYC or even Seattle in the summer. Admittedly, I do plan my trips to DC around lodging prices or I stay at the Hostel, which is considerably cheaper than the NYC HI.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 04:08 AM

We live in western PA. My wife and I own a small tour company and short term (vacation rental) lodging...we travel frequently to all the places you want to go and are close enough to Pittsburgh that we can go there for dinner and return home...so hopefully my thoughts will be helpful!

As others have suggested, strongly consider at least a day in Philadelphia enroute to elsewhere...my recommended itinerary would be:

Fly into New York City - more choices and lower airfares than Pittsburgh. Spend 5 days here and then rent a car and drive to Pittsburgh. Don't opt for bus or train because both are poor service generally and you'll need a car everywhere except NYC.

Spend as long as you want in Pittsburgh,say 5 more days, and be sure to explore out of the city a little bit. Normally, I would think a good visit to Pittsburgh could be done in three complete days but since you have a friend in town, you'll also do visiting.

Your friend will be able to show you the important and interesting things (and there are a lot!) and you'll be amazed at all the self-driving cars on the road here (I am). Among many other things...it's quite a place now days.

Our town is a little all-American town nestled in a valley of the Laurel (Appalachian) mountains...here is a link to "things to do" in the western PA area from our web page:

http://www.beechwoodcottageligonier.com/things-to-do/

Continuing your itinerary, I'd head next to Washington DC. A four hour drive from Pittsburgh is generally accurate. You have about 5 more full days...spend three in Washington - the vast majority of museums are free and of world class. There are many fine places to eat and see and it's just a great city to visit. It has a very European design and feel as compared to other places you will see.

Finally, drive to Philadelphia - leave Washington early and spend a full day there. Your choice to overnight here or not. If you enjoy art museums, an often overlooked one near here is the Brandywine Museum - the art of the Wyeth family - and one of my absolute favorites. But, the majority focus of the visit is on the World Heritage Site in center city Philadelphia. Human and global history changed here in the 1770s.

Finally, drive to NY, return your car and depart for home having seen a very small part of the USA but many important things.
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM

You do not need a car for DC or Philadelphia. You will have a difficult time finding parking. If you stay in hotels that are downtown, you will have to pay quite a bit for overnight parking.

Both cities have excellent public transportation.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Hello marvelousmouse,

Thanks for your reply! When was the cheap season you mentioned? If I do get there it has to be low budget. I don't want to spend more than let's say 2.500 for 2 weeks time. I've found round trip tickets around 500 euro so it is ok. I hope I don't get stuck in my seat all those hours. Never done such a big flight... really scared of it lol. Thanks for the tip about the Smithsonians and the Metropolitan Museum!!! So, I guess one time is never enough for NY
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen,

Thank you for your reply! That's cool. I thought 2 weeks would be limited but it is good to here that from someone who has been around So, it might be better to stay in DC and get excursions from there?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi Doug!

Thank you, wow 6 hours is a long time. I though it was around 4, my memory fooled me completely. Great itinerary suggestion. I think I'll start making my what to visit list from there!!!! I like trains, I might consider this type of transport instead of planes. Actually I am a bit afraid of flying... I haven't figured out how I am going to get past that...
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi sf7307,

Thanks for the recommended itinerary. Sounds good. So, from that I understand that there are not many things to do in Philly, right? No, I didn't mean 7-10 only in NY. I don't know if I'll have the chance to visit the US again soon so I'd like to see as much as possible in that time. Other friends have told me it would be better to get to California or Miami but since I've spend my summers in Greece I thought it would be better to see the Metropolitan side of the States.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Christina,

Great! Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about 4-5 days in the NY and the rest wherever I can... Which months are considered off-season for the area?
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Yeap, driving. This is what got me confused.. I thought NY was 4 hours from Pitt but it was DC instead... Thanks SeaF!
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

What are the prices for a Hostel or a cheap hotel? Best time to visit off-season? Thanks again...
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hello TJM_70!

Thank you so much for your tips! I've written everything down. I am a new driver. Do you think that would be a big issue? I'll definitely check your Things To Do list I might as well get a high-tech car that will be my driver lol <3
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Good to know... I am not that of a driver after all :/ Thank you DeniseLMA
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 11:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I understand that there are not many things to do in Philly, right?

What??? Of course there is a lot to do in Philadelphia! But I think New York (or California or Miami for that matter) would be more fun.

And as a "new driver" I would plan this trip around public transportation instead!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -