Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Doable: NYC-Washinton DC-Richmond/Williamsburg in 12 days

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize anything is doable but does the above itinerary sound sane? We will be flying in from the West Coast so two days will be spent on traveling to a fro. That leaves 12 days to spend in NYC, DC, and Richmond/Williamsburg. How many days should be spent in each city? Thinking of flying into NY and out of Richmond. Will either pick up a car in DC and drive to Richmond or train it to Richmond and pick up a car there. There's another day for travel so now that leaves 11 days. Will only touch on the major hightlights in NY, ie: Statue of Liberty/Ellis Is, Central Park, Time Sq. etc. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:35 PM

It is doable and without too much strain on you as long as you don't mind driving. Flights out of Richmond are in general more expensive than nearby airports, that is why so many locals drive to Norfolk, Newport News, BWI, or Dulles to fly. If you can share why you plan on these 4 particular cities, that would be helpful. (NYC and DC could take up the entire time) Do you have relatives to visit, certain attraction you want to see in each, etc? Train from NYC to DC would be fine, then train from DC to Richmond - you can now take train to downtown Main Street Station. The car rental places are all out by the airport (which is only ten miles from downtown) so not sure about arrangements for picking up vehicle. You could see most of the highlights of Colonial Williamsburg in one or two days, Richmond in one or two days (Poe Museum? Museum of Confederacy? Science Museum? Maymont? NASCAR race?), and it is only a one-hour drive from Richmond to Wmsbg. Drive from DC to Richmond is 2 hours if traffic is not bad, by train it is a bit longer. Post more info and we will be glad to give ideas.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Richmond is very nice, but in comparison to NYC and DC, not too much to see and do. If I were you, I would fly into NYC and out of DC, and spend a few days inbetween somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay area. It is just beautiful, will give you a sense of the wild after being in the urban jungle, and would be a great break from the ultra-touristy places to go.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM

While I am very interested in sights in Richmond, I agree it is not quite up to D.C. and NYC. However, that is up to you. If I were taking that trip, I would give one day to Williamsburg (2 if with kids - Busch Gardens - if the time of year is right for it to be open - or if you want to include Yorktown/Jamestown), one to Richmond, 4 to D.C. and 5 to NY. Definitely give no less than four full days to NY and three to D.C. or you could be pretty rushed.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:58 PM
yk

I know you don't have enough time to see everything already, but I have to point out that you are leaving out Philadelphia to visit. Since Philadelphia is halfway between NYC & DC, it seems to me unfortunate that you are going to skip it. You probably can see the "major" sites in 1 day (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, brand new National Constitution Center).

So, if you have 1 day to spare, you can get on the train early in NYC, which will get you in Philadelphia in 1.5hrs. Sightsee for the day, then hop back on the train later in the day and continue on to DC (1hr 50mins).
More info in Philadelphia at:
www.gophila.com
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We would like to start the trip in NY and then head south. Plus, my husband and I aren't big "city" people so the thought of spending the entire vacation in a concrete jungle in the heat and humidity is a real turn off. WE do however want to see the "heart" of our country and government. My hubby and 12 year old son like early history and will more so when they will be able to walk on some of the ground where several battles took place. Our 19 year old daughter on the other hand loves the city and has already been to DC so NYC will be her dream, (she could easily spend the entire time in NY). We don't want to rush and try to see everything and return home only to need a vacation from vacation. We are open to any and all suggestions especially when it comes to travel to a nd from each city.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Renting a car in the NYC area is very expensive, maybe cheaper when you do a 1-way rental, but I doubt it.

Greyhound has been advertising low priced fares from NYC to DC, so you might wish to look at that for getting to DC (or Philadelphia, which I also recommend), then get a car later.

Better car rental deals often found at PHL, BWI, RIC, and ORF, especially if you're returning at the same spot.

While NYC offers a lot, it's also the most expensive of the cities to do those things, while DC probably offers the most things for the least spent, although food & lodging can drive the prices up, tho not as much as NYC. You might wish to look at things to do in Fredericksburg area too, and/or Gettysburg. Enjoy!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope this info is still current.
Fifteen years ago, we were driving thru central Richmond, and happened to pass a church mentioned in the local tourist attractions magazine. We stopped and went in, and were more than pleasantly surprised by (what turned out to be an ongoing) re-enactment of a pre-Revolutionary debate of the colonial assembly. Re-enactors played the parts (in costume) of Patrick Henry, Ben Franklin, and others of note (yes, not all were Virginians). Free at the time (contributions gladly accepted). We greatly enjoyed it, and would heartily recommend it to history buffs. Richmond being somewhat in between DC and Wiliamsburg, it's worth looking into. Maybe other Fodorites know if this is still active.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tomboy, The church you are talking about is St. John's Church. It's the spot where the Virginia Convention was held in 1775 and where Patrick Henry made is "give me liberty" speeck. Some years earlier Pocahontas was married there.

Far as I know they still do the re-enactment.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That would be "speech" of course.

anesinc, If history is a big component of your trip, I'd fly into NYC (4 days), take the train to DC (4 days), hire a car in DC and tour Virginia for the remaining time. There's a lot to American history to see in No. Virginia, the Richmond/Petersburg area and Wmbg/Jamestown.

When are you planning to take this trip?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, another interesting thing for a history buff, a bit unique, is that at Jamestown VA there's a state park with an interpretation center. Many states have these, but Jamestown's has a replica sailing ship, of the type perhaps used to colonize Jamestown in 16whatever. My recollection is that it was about 35-50 feet long, staffed with park workers in 17th century clothing, playing 17 century games, dong period activities. That was June, of course, 15 years ago, but maybe they still do it
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Re: New York City/Statue of Liberty -- please note that it is closed but you still can visit Ellis Island. Be sure to take either the Staten Island Ferry or a Circle Line to get a great view of Manhattan and the Statue. This will also be a great way to beat the heat. When in the summer will you be coming? June usually is great and july/August are usually pretty rough. I would spend only a little bit of time in Times Square and more time in Central Park. Make sure to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art if you have some time.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:49 PM

To appease the history-loving guys, you might take in a few of the older buldings that survive in NYC. My favorite is the Mount Vernon Hotel Museum (formerly the Abigail Adams Smith Museum):

http://www.ny.com/museums/abigail.ad...th.museum.html