Would you sleep in a smokers' room?

Mar 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Would you sleep in a smokers' room?

Non-smokers: I have the opportunity of staying in a pretty good boutique hotel- the location is in a good place, the room looks attractive, breakfast is included and it's a great discounted room rate. The only problem is that the room is a smokers' room. As a non-smoker, would you still stay there or is it enough for you to give it a miss?
Mar 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
esm

No, I wouldn't. Everything in the room absorbs the smell; it hits you as soon as you open the door.
Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM

No way. Not unless I am forced to.
Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM

No.
From my experience it makes you happier if you save money on other things than accommodation (dinners, tours, souvenirs).
Mar 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Depends on the other options.
Mar 25th, 2010, 05:34 AM

ehhhhh... your stuff would smell like smoke for days.

On the other hand, MAYBE if you booked the smokers room and arrived and they had a last minute cancellation you'd luck out and get a nonsmoking room. You'd be taking a chance.

If this is a boutique hotel, it's probably very clean and well kept so perhaps they do a better job of ridding the room of the smoke smell. Also, if it has a balcony I'd be willing to bet a number of smokers step outside anyway. I dunno. I'd have to be totally in love with the hotel and location to take the chance.
Mar 26th, 2010, 09:43 AM

No. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, and no savings is worth the wheezing, stuffed up nose and swollen eyes.
Mar 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM

I agree with flygirl. I don't smoke but if the room had other options that made it attractive and it was clean. I would take it. In some countries and states in the US, people smoke wherever they want and sometimes they smoke in non smoking rooms. Usually it's cleaned up.

Only you know how much it would bother you.
Mar 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM

No way. Last week I stayed in the Westin Back Bay in Boston and we were offered an upgrade to a junior suite with river views. The room was lovely but it smelt of smoke (in a smoke free hotel!!!) so we quickly downgraded to a regular room.
Mar 31st, 2010, 06:08 AM

No. I've had to do it on rare occasions, most recently in Singapore, when my flight from Tokyo arrived well after midnight and the hotel could only give me a smoking room with the promise to move me the next day. The room was was foul: not just the smell of stale smoke, but the general griminess that comes with it. I didn't bother to even open my suitcase, and waited to shower until I'd been moved to a new room.

My new room was lovely, bright, clean, and fresh-smelling.
Mar 31st, 2010, 09:07 AM

No, no, no!

I stayed at the Wangfujing Grand Hotel in Beijing and was unfortunately assigned a smokers room. As soon as I opened the door the stench of stale cigarette smoke hit me.

Everything absorbs the odour; carpet, bedding, soft furnishings, everything! The next morning my hair was stinky as were my pyjamas. I'm just glad I didn't leave my suitcase open that night. I was able to transfer to a non smoking room...which just so happened to be in another hotel.
Apr 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I ended up not booking the room, and checking in at a more inexpensive (but inferior) hotel. Thing was, although I could have sworn I booked a non-smoking room, I am sure my nose twigged on something not quite right. There was something faintly noxious, but it wasn't obvious.
Apr 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM

I couldn't no matter what the options are; my wife wouldn't be able to either. If you arrived unannounced at a hotel, you'd have the chance of taking a look (and smell) first; in this situation you don't have that option. Only you can know how it affects you.
Apr 14th, 2010, 07:10 AM

I'm curious as to why you are asking total strangers on the internet a question which only you can answer. Your preferences in where you stay or choose, what you smell or eat are yours alone. All we can do is offer opinions based on OUR OWN experiences and/or preferences. We don't know what drives you to your decisions over such deeply personal things. Are you wanting to "flame" smokers? Kind of reminds me of asking a previously unknown policeman if he wears boxers or briefs.
Apr 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Absolutely not!
Apr 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Salina. My response would be that I am asking experienced members of this forum as to their experiences in this kind of situation. he question wasn't just "would you sleep in a smoking room if you are a non-smoker" but also "at what price would you sleep in a smoking room if you are a non-smoker". For the majority of people who replied, the answer is not at any price.

BTW, I wasn't being anti-smoker at all when I asked this question.
Apr 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM

No. Been there done that, regretted it. You probably would, too. That room, being a designated "smoking room" probably gets smoked in every single night. It's gonna reek.
salina5 needs to loosen the necktie just a bit, me thinks.

Search this Thread