"Big" beds at Sayo?

Search

"Big" beds at Sayo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
"Big" beds at Sayo?

I'm in the process of reserving a room in Luang Prabang at Sayo Guesthouse, and we have the option of a big room with a big bed, a standard room with a big bed, or a back room with a big bed or twin beds. I'm wondering what they mean by "big." A double? A queen? Or a king? I'm with my daughter and we'd prefer twin beds, but if the big room comes with a king bed, that would be ok. From what I've read, the big rooms are wonderful, but we'd go with the small back room with twin beds rather than share a double (not that we don't like each other, but...) Can anyone who's stayed there comment on what they mean by a "big" bed?
Thanks,
Karen
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karen, the Sayo Guest House is such a wonderful place, and such good value, that why don't you go "all the way" and order, for just a few dollars extra, the upstairs room with the mezzanine bedroom above. If your daughter (like ours) is a teen or preteen, she may feel it's a great thrill to sleep in her own "suspended" bedroom, and you will have all that room downstairs to wander around in!

I don't know if there is more than one room with a mezzanine in it -- I have only ever heard of one -- but it is in the old (main) building, and it runs the complete depth of the building, so that it has suttered windows and views on three sides. At the front this view overlooks the temple opposite. The bathroom is larger than some bedrooms we slept in in south-east Asia! The room has a frig, a little sitting-room outside, and is altogether delightful.

Our girls rated Sayo's the best accommodation we had in two weeks. And this costs us $40 for the four of us -- probably a little more than they're asking you to pay for your "back" room, but hardly a king's ransom!

The "big bed" in the downstairs room of this suite was a queen, I think. Upstairs were two singles.

I didn't see any of the other rooms, and I don't know exactly what they are referring to by the "back" room, but I should mention this about the set-up of Sayo's: once an old French mansion, it is currently two buildings: a two-storey shuttered-window home at the front (facing the temple and the street), and an older bungalow-type building out the back, which looks like it might have been stables or a long garage, and has been converted into a series of rather motel-looking rooms, most of which face the back of the house (there's a small garden between them). I heard from someone who had one of these that it was "very nice", but I think if you are going to travel half-way around the world to Luang Prabang and then stay in an original mansion there, you may as well go that one step further and take the best room in the place.... or, certainly, an upstairs room in the main building. If I were you, I wouldn't settle for less.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

OH! The price for the room with the mezzanine is $60 for when we're going to be there, but it wasn't clear to me that "mezzanine" meant an extra bedroom. It said 1 big bed and one mezzanine - I thought that might be a loft, but it didn't specify that there was a bed in it. The room with twin beds in the back is only $25, so the cost difference is fairly significant for three nights... but gee, $60 a night isn't so bad for what sounds like an amazing room. I didn't think anyone was going to respond, so I already wrote back (to Nepon) and said we'd take the smaller room, but I just might ask to change my mind! That big room sounds awesome! Thanks so much. (Daughter is 24, not a teen-ager, but we'd both love the privacy of separate space.)
Karen
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Well, that IS a big difference in price, isn't it.... obviously that room is much in-demand and the Sayo people think that they might as well get rich on it!

If you DO go ahead and splurge, I do hope you like the room!

Have a great time!
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Another thought: Why not simply write back and tell them how disappointed you are, because a "friend" of yours stayed there with his family just six weeks ago and raved about that room, assuring you that the price was forty dollars? Tell them you guess you might have to look for another guest house.... who knows, maybe they'll write back and say, "Well, okay". Can't hurt to try.... and, you know, there are several other beautiful old guest houses in Luang Prabang, one of which is right next door to Sayos!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Alan - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I saw it too late! I decided to go ahead and splurge and wrote back to Sayo that we'd take the big room (without trying to bargain). You're right - flying halfway across the world and then saving $100 to get a small room rather than a wonderful large one with a view of a Buddhist wat just didn't seem to make sense. I'm NOT poor - and we ARE on the vacation of a lifetime! (With my daughter now 24, I suspect future vacations together may be limited - at least long ones like this - so i'm going to make the most of it.) Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I am confident that you will enjoy your room.... and I wish you good fortune on your holiday. I'm sure you'll recoup the $100 in other areas!