Reload this Page >

Room recommendiations at d'Angleterre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:55 AM
beth

Hi all, <BR><BR>We reserved a deluxe room at d'Angleterre in Paris. We made sure to ask for a courtyard room. Anyone have specific rooms that would recommened and why. <BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Beth

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:00 AM
kate

Whenever we have stayed at the D'Angleterre, we have had courtyard rooms. The one I liked the most was a suite we had last year, top floor facing the front of the hotel.That way you see the courtyard, the sky and the lobby, which has a glass wall and doors going to the courtyard. *Remember that some rooms are reached by stairs instead of an elevator, which never made any difference to us!<BR>It is a lovely hotel, old and charming, great staff, very helpful and competent.<BR>I think you will love your stay there.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:10 AM
beth

Kate, <BR><BR>Many people like that room, since I have read about it on this board. We're not paying for a suite, though. <BR><BR>I'm glad to hear you liked it because I have read mixed things which made me lean towards another hotel, but I figured I would make a fuss for a nice room. <BR><BR>I figure is someone has a Deluxe room I can ask for, that would be perfect. <BR><BR>Cheers, <BR><BR>Beth

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:48 AM
kate

Beth-the first time we stayed there we just got the cheapest room they had. It was on the half floor! a sort of landing between floors on the staircase. It was a nice room! Long and with 3 large windows in the room and one in the very large bathroom. It was a raw and damp November and I remember how cozy we were in that room, overlooking the courtyard. Since then we have gone for more expensive rooms, but I think all the rooms are charming in their own way. Last trip was our anniversary, so we splurged! There was a fireplace in the room and a desk with a sofa. You entered through your own little foyer with a mirror and then into the actual room. It was fun but not really neccesary, except for being self indulgent<BR>The first thing we did was walk around to rue Sts Peres and to a small lovely florist where I got a bouquet of lilies and lilacs and took them back to the room, the staff scurried about looking for the perfect vase. Be sure to let them book your reservations and get cabs for you at night, they are so much better at it than we are! Have fun!<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:50 PM
cheryl

The room Kate describes sounds like the room we reserved but I'm not certain if it is the same room. Ours was room #47 and you reach it by a small winding staircase only. I understand that this is an old hotel but it really needs maintenance, at least our room needs it. There is peeling paint on the walls and some mold along the tub. <BR>Another negative thing is the pillows have a musty smell and should be replaced. But the topper for us was the thin ceiling. The couple above us was probably on their honeymoon because not only could we hear everything but we thought they'd crash through our ceiling and land on us.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:13 PM
kate

cheryl, that is awful! Lol-nothing worse than lying in bed, trying to sleep and having to listen to the couple next door or over you<BR>Too bad, this has never happened to us at the Angleterre, but maybe we were just lucky. I don't think we had the same room as the paint was not peeling in ours, there was a fireplace in our room and a huge bathroom in good shape.<BR>Oh well, better luck next time-now you have to go back to Paris and try more hotels<BR>Cheers.Kate

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:05 AM
cheryl

Kate, what room number were you given? It may help others who are trying to reserve specific rooms there and if you had a nice one then that would be helpful. <BR><BR>Our room-#47-is the room that's pictured shown one floor above the courtyard in the hotel's postcard ad they leave in the room.<BR><BR>I think if we go back to Paris for sure we will not stay at d'Angleterre as there are many other hotels in St. Germain and the Latin quarter that seem pretty good. I did not mention this before but another reason d'Angleterre is negative for me is the whole idea of having prospective guests send a personal check to reserve the room as they don't believe in taking credit card numbers as guarantee. Well, of course we did so, but the daytime clerk forgot to leave our check for the night porter to hand back to us as we checked out early morning. The night porter called her up at home to speak to me and she admitted the check should be in their safe and asked if I wanted it mailed home or destroyed. I requested it to be destroyed but so far no one has confirmed if this was done although I sent an email since yesterday. It's ticked me off since before we arrived that when I sent emails they are answered whenever.<BR><BR>It's good that you have found the hotel to your liking but it did not work out for us unfortunately.