Search

Need assistance from previous guests of Residenza Canali in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need assistance from previous guests of Residenza Canali in Rome

Hi dear Fodorites,

Need your advice. Am booking far in advance our room with Res. Canali, we will not be there until January, however they only have six rooms.

DH and I are trying to decide between Room #1 (their suite with terrace but no bathtub) or a room that has a bathtub. Either room rate is acceptable to us.

Our main concern is this, the reviews I have read all say to request a room on the highest floor possible to avoid noise. I normally want a bathtub to soak at the end of the day to alleviate any swelling from walking (I have a knee that bothers me sometimes. Don't worry, as long as I soak or elevate at a day's end, I am fine, it is not all that bad - the lack of a lift at Res. Canali won't be an issue for me.)

I am asking which room you stayed in while you were there (I know to avoid the room right by the reception desk) and did you find it peaceful?

Debating... Room #1 would be lovely, but no tub. The Junior Suite is also on the top floor, but only a shower, too. Did you stay on the next floor, which I am assuming would be Room 3 and/or 4? Was it quiet?

I really want my DH to be able to rest and feel I could give up my tub if the Suite is the most quiet room to stay in.

I hope my inquiry does not seem over the top. We will be there for nine nights and I would rather do my research now then be sorry later.

Mille grazie!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

>-
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I'll give the ole gal one more top before I give up, lol.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM

I have stayed here a few times and don't remember one room number. We had a two room suite one time, I had a lovely room with a terrace one time, another time I had a double room with a tub and the last time, a tiny lousy room with a double bed.

I wonder if there is a site with the room numbers listed, I know where the rooms are but not the numbers.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SeaUrchin for your efforts.

All I know is this, Room 1 and 2 are on the top floor and each have terraces.

Of the two, they consider Room 2 a 'double superior' as it does have a terrace but is not as large as Room 1. The pictures on their site of the Room with the terrace is Room 1.

I believe 3 and 4 are on the next floor down, etc.

Rooms A, B, C, & D are near the Reception desk and I have read that one should avoid those if noise is an issue.

I will probably go without the tub and reserve Room 1, as all reviews I have read say only good things about Room 1 - - I want my DH to have a relaxing time and if that is the best chance for a smaller noise factor, then that is what I shall do.

I have also asked the staff via email what they would advise, but of course I had to check my every move with you guys, ha ha.

Mille grazie, SeaUrchin, you are a good sport.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I think the room with the terrace is a good choice, it was my favorite of all the rooms. Are you dealing with Stefano at the hotel? I hope so, he is so efficient and personable.

PS, it is so nice to sit outside for breakfast or in the evening on the room's terrace.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Hi - Does the Canali have a lift? or staff to help schlep luggage to the top floors? We are looking to be close to Piazza Navona and on a "safe" street, not in the center of the hustle-bustle. Does this qualify? Do they have staff to help with reservations, drivers and tours? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM

no life but they help with the luggage. Stefano will help with reservations, drivers and tours.
The women at the desk will be helpful to you if you are a male.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Hmmmmmmm. I'll send my charming husband down to the desk then...
This hotel sounds fine, although I'll have to get used to no room service this visit.....Any other "luxury" hotel suggestions near Piazza Navona SeaUrchin?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM

This one is near the Pantheon which is near P. Navona: Grand Hotel De La Minerve

I really wouldn't consider Res. Canali luxury but it is pleasant.

(and I meant lift, not life, lol)
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM

We stayed in Room 1 the last time we were in Rome. I don't recall hearing any noise at all! One thing about the terrace is that we figured out that we're not terrace people. It was a sizeable area, with nice chairs and a table, too, I think. But given the choice between the terrace and a ringside seat at the very-nearby Piazza Navona, we chose Piazza Navona every time. So I have absolutely no criticism of the terrace, it's just that we chose not to use it. It did make the room seem bigger, though!

The location of Residenza Canali is wonderful; I loved being so close to Piazza Navona. And the antiques-street that it's on is charming (and quiet), and even directionally-challenged me could take it down to the Arno for more beautiful sights.

There's no elevator, and when we arrived, there was only a female staff member. We didn't mind at all taking our own luggage up to the top, and while the stairs certainly seemed longer at the end of a long day, I figured the more calories I burned, the more gelato I could eat!

Stefano (and the others, too) were very helpful, and called to confirm some restaurant reservations for us, and arranged a car to take us to the airport.

Keep in mind that this is not a luxury hotel. This is a very nice, appealing "residenza," which to my mind, was kind of like a B&B (a nice one).
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:43 AM

A terrace isn't likely to be much use in January.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM

I don't know about that, I was in Rome for a week in Jan.'07 and it was in the 60's so she might get use out if the terrace. In Dec 2004, my parents had I think room A and my husband, son and I had an adjoining room B.

I love the location, the staff is great and the breakfast is very nice. I personally did not like the decor, the walls were paper thin and from our rooms you could hear every echoing footstep from the marble staircase. There's no walls to buffer the sound and for me it was very loud. I have heard from people that stayed at the top, with the terrace and they had no noise issue.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your advice. We will go with the top floor, Room #1 and just go without the tub.

The reviews are just SO consistent with that Room #1 - there have been no complaints with that room, the others are hit and miss. Regardless if we use the terrace, a room with a terrace always feels bigger to us, and essentially we are booking it because of the excellent reviews for a lower noise factor.

I don't mind that there isn't a lift. It would be nice but is not required. We are very light packers, so I don't care about the stairs (and light sleeps, LOL, hence the need for the top floor room, ha.)

I will state that the staff at Residenza Canali has been vey prompt with their email replies to me this week. I have always heard back from them within 24 hours. Excellent for abroad.

Can't wait to report back. Thanks to Fodorville's excellent trip reports, I have SO many area restaurant recommendations. I have made note of all of them.

<i>Mille grazie!</i>
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I wanted to let all of you know that I just received an email from Res. Canali - - it was their advice also that I should go with Room #1 for maximum quiet.

pattrink ~ I hope you find the perfect place for you and your DH. Also look at www.tripadvisor.com I usually try to use three sources of recs before I book.

This is only my third trip to Italy; DH and I really prefer small Residenzas or Locandas for our stays in Italy as long as they are very clean and in a good location. We usually enjoy a five star more for a warm weather vacation because of the proximity it gives you to the ocean. In Italy, it has been our preference to stay in smaller family run places because they are so much more quaint, and sometimes quite historic.

Have fun with your search (one of the best parts!)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Tiff, one thing I remember that I hope they still have is hot, fresh baked goods are delivered every morning from a near by bakery. YUM!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM

they didn't last year when I was there.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I read a review about those very pastries, sandi.

Now sad because SeaUrchin did not get them, nor will we.

Oh well, it's not like we're not going to eat well in Rome. I am amazed by the amount of restaurants that so many rave about. In other areas of Italy, there are always a few that people say are a must, but in Rome... I finally looked what I had copied and pasted and I had 9 pages, lol.

I'm hungry now.