Search

Hotel Monge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Monge

We are toying with the idea of a hasty trip to Paris, and may end up not going after all. But I have been hotel "shopping" and like Hotel Monge because of price, location and great reviews. The question is: we can have a room with a "garden view" for a few more euros a night. When we were in Paris last February, it was fairly dark when we left the room and dark when we got back. Would there really be any "garden" in early April? The other rooms face the street and would be a little noisier, probably, but the street noise didn't bother us last time. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:50 PM
NHC

Hi,
We stayed at the Hotel Monge last year. We had to switch rooms while we were there because our room type (regular type) wasn't available for the first night of our trip, and I think that the room we had for the first night (although I could be wrong) was a "garden view" room. The room itself was nicer than the other room, and did have a pretty garden view in April. But both rooms were pretty nice, and I don't recall us noticing noise from the street or anything in the regular room. The other room was just a bit bigger and prettier, that's all, but there wasn't a huge amount of difference between the two rooms. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Hello, I have been there several times. I got the view of the arena for more money for my anniversary and did not like it at all. It seems smaller and definitely darker. I MUCH prefer the street rooms. The window really blocked out the noise. No problem at all.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! I think for the amount of time we will be in the room, it would be fine facing the street. Now all I have to do is figure out if we can do it!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM

We had a view of the arena when we were there, which was in mid-March. Our room was bright and sunny, quite large and quiet. We were very happy with the Hotel Monge, especially for the price (we paid just 84 euros).
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

YES!! After much hemming and hawing, tonight I finally booked our tickets so we are going! Now that the decision has been made I am so psyched! We went with the hotel street view, so I'll report back on that. I'll be trying to peek into a room with an arena view to see if we are missing out on anything.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM

allisonm--
Pleae let us know what you thought of the Monge! I'm considering it for next year's trip and would appreciate your thoughts on the room comparisons.
Thanks!
Paule
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM

Just my two cents. We stayed there with a street view and loved it. The noise never bothered us because we were on a higher floor and we enjoyed having the double French doors open to wander on the balcony and enjoy the goings on in town below us. Personally, I would request a street view again.

Congrats on your upcoming trip, allisonm, and let us know how it goes!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:55 PM

There is a market at Place Monge (1/2 block away) on Wednesdays and Sundays...

Monge Market / Place Monge
Wednesday, Friday, 7 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
Sunday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Metro : Place Monge

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Can any of you folks who stayed at the Hotel Monge email me as I have a few other questions about it. We just booked the hotel for five nights this September. Thanks!

Dave
[email protected]
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Dave, you can ask the questions right here and we'll be glad to help. That way the questions and answers are available for future posters who might be seeking the same info.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestion to post my questions here.

I have read others comments, but am just a bit concerned that the Monge is a bit "far out" from the center of the 5th? Any encouragement appreciated. Any comments on the neighborhood, etc. My wife and I are 50 - well, she is 47!! and have no problem walking and enjoy it.

With a room price of $98.00 euros - facing the street - and with the reviews on Tripadvisor, it seems like one heck of a deal. We have no problem paying more for a better hotel or neighborhood, but are planning with only several weeks notice and many hotels are booked. The Monge looks like a great price/quality combination.

Any comments appreciated, especially from those who have been there recently.

Dave
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Dave, we stayed at Hotel Monge in the summer of 2003 and really liked it. It was a couple of blocks farther than the previous hotel we'd stayed at on the main drag of St. Germain, and I liked that it was more quiet, but I didn't feel that it was too far out at all. It was surprisingly close to Notre Dame, although I don't recall exactly how many blocks. Also, it's about a block away from Cardinal Limone metro station if I recall the name correctly. I still feel that the location is quite convenient and central.

I would definitely stay there again because it really is very clean, modern, and convenient for the price.

I'd be glad to answer any other specific questions you might have.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM

dwzemens...

Back from Hotel Monge 2 weeks ago. I paid 97 euros per night for 2 twin rooms, although one was a triple. Both rooms faced the street, but there was no noise, and the larger room had a big bathroom, whereas the twin the next floor up had a shower room with a very small shower.

As for it being a bit far out - not at all. I am slightly younger than you but older than your wife, and had no problems apart from getting a bit puffed up the metro steps at the back of the Place Monge metro station, but they did bring you up just round the corner from the hotel. The only place that was a little tricky to get to was the Eiffel Tower, because you have to change lines twice (unless you walk from Bir-Hakeim, but that is a long way). No doubt someone will correct me on this, but I couldn't see an easier route! Anyway, it's not really that much of a problem. It's just that we had to go over there 3 times in 3 days for various reasons that it became a bit of a nuisance!

You are only 5 minutes walk from the Pantheon, and therefore just a few minutes more to the Jardins de Luxembourg. You are also within a 5 minute walk of a marvellous little restaurant, le Petit Prince de Paris, tucked away behind the Pantheon.

We found getting on line 7 at Place Monge, and changing to line 10 at Jussieu offered us the most options, followed by staying on line 7 to Palais Royal and changing there to Line 1. Buses weren't bad for getting up to the river - there's one that goes up Rue Monge every 20 minutes, but I can't remember the number right now.

Also, if you can get to the Eiffel Tower, do book a bike or segway tour.
there are lots of reviews of this forum, www.fattirebiketoursparis.com
It's great fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:23 AM

I think you will be happy at Hotel Monge. It has two metros Place Monge and Cardinal Lemoine very near. It is near the market street rue Mouffetard also. It is really easy walking distance to St. Germain area.

I would like to recommend a nice little restaurant, very reasonable, near there. Tire-Bouchon 47 rue Descartes, telephone 01 43 26 39 11. Their fixed price menus are very good. I always pay to upgrade the starter to the Escargots...so good. You could ask for directions at the Hotel. It is only about 3 blocks from the Hotel. Just enough to walk off that very full feeling.

The owner is VERY nice. He always visits the table and gives a free little after dinner drink.

Best wishes,

gg
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM

The TN Trio of Terror stayed there in March 2005 and we loved it. We walked almost everywhere and found it very convenient. Plus lots of nice little stores and cafes. Ate breakfast everyday at Le Petit Cardinale just down the street to the right as you exit the hotel. Also there is a convenient ATM right across the street. Not to mention a couple of bakeries that we just had to go to everyday!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Yes, the bakery on the opposite side of the street, closer to Rue St. Germain is awesome. We've been there on every trip, but have learned to pop in early or they run out of the best stuff.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM

SharonG:

I just read your Paris trip report - I had somehow missed it when you originally wrote it. What a great knack you have for both humor and great information. Terrific report!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Julia T:

One more question - I reservied a 3rd floor room, street view, for 98 euros per night. Do you know if the rooms on that floor have a small balcony? Thanks again to everyone!
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 04:36 PM

It has a tiny 'balcony' - not really one you can stand on...

http://linktrim.com/2vf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -