Reload this Page >

what is a SCOTTISH BREAKFAST like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
leslie

My hotel in Edinburgh offers a scottish breakfast. How is that different than an AMerican breakfast?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Jim

As someone who recently had a string of like 15 of them, I can tell you that it's a full, cooked breakfast. It's usually some combination of the following:<BR><BR>Juice<BR>Cereal<BR>Eggs<BR>Bacon (talking British bacon, not American)<BR>Sausage<BR>Mushrooms<BR>Cooked Tomatoes<BR>Toast w/Jam or Butter<BR>Tea or Coffee

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Snoopy

You left out Black Pudding, Jim. You don't get it everywhere, and you probably won't get it in Edinburgh.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:45 PM
frank

Scottish breakfast is the same as english breakfast except that you also get black pudding.<BR>Ask for the kippers instead!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:53 PM
singapore

WHat exactly is black pudding?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Brit

Erm, do you really want to know? I looked the recipe up and here it is:<BR><BR>Its basically a blood sausage, the flavour of which varies between regions<BR><BR> 125g pearl barley, rice or groats <BR> 125g fine oatmeal <BR> pinch of salt and pepper <BR> 600 ml fresh pig's blood <BR> 250g beef or pork suet, diced <BR> 50g onions <BR> sausage skins or casings. <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:36 PM
scottish

Isn´t oat porridge typical Scottish breakfast?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:54 PM
janis

Almost always eggs x 2, bacon rashers x 2, sausages x 2, cold and/or hot cereal, grilled mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, fresh or canned fruit, toast, tea, coffee, juice -- <BR><BR>and sometimes kippers, blood pudding, and yogurt,

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Sheila

That's an interesting recipe for Black Pudding, but mind you don't break your teeth on the groats.<BR><BR>They haven't been legal tender here for some time.<BR><BR>(I think it should be "oats")<BR><BR>In my house, when I'm going the whole hog for visitors, it will beBR><BR>cereal<BR>Toast<BR>Croissants<BR>Butteries <BR>(further south you'd get a "morning roll" which is like a bap)<BR>butter, jam, honey, marmalade<BR>juice<BR>your choice of<BR>bacon<BR>sausage- link and Lorne<BR>Black pudding<BR>(some people do fruit pudding, but I can't stand it)<BR>mushrooms<BR>eggs, cooked as you like<BR>potato scones<BR>sometime hash browns or bubble and squeak, or last night's left over potatoes<BR><BR>and an added variation is that the cute Scottish habit of frying everything that doesn't move can come into play here. People can and do put fried fruit cake on your breakfast (blech!)

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:01 AM
egg

You can also get sliced haggis and very good it is too. The fried "fruit cake" was dumpling or cloutie dumpling which is often served fried for breakfast.<BR>There's nothing yuk about it.<BR>A full Scottish breakfast will set you up until dinner. You won't want any lunch.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:45 AM
PatrickW

A bit off topic, and not a breakfast suggestion but I still recall the expression on a TV presenter's face when a popular cook advising on using up those Christmas leftovers suggested....Christmas pudding fritters.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 04:25 AM
jahoulih

Webster (www.m-w.com) says:<BR><BR>Main Entry: 1groat <BR>Pronunciation: 'grOt<BR>Function: noun<BR>Etymology: Middle English grotes, plural, from Old English grotan, plural of grot; akin to Old English grEot grit<BR>Date: 12th century<BR>1 usually plural but singular or plural in construction : hulled grain broken into fragments larger than grits<BR>2 : a grain (as of oats) exclusive of the hull

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:39 AM
John B.

I don't know about hotels, but in B & Bs you get most of what has been listed. For North Americans the fried tomatoes were a bit greasy. Eggs too were done the same way.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:01 AM
mpprh

<BR>Hi<BR><BR>Jim has the right answer.<BR><BR>Strangely, traditional Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English breakfasts seem to have much the same ingredients.<BR><BR>National pride ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com/

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:39 AM
John

Alternatively, an optional bacon roll washed down with Irn Bru is a popular breakfast among the drinking classes.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:56 AM
cd

What is kippers? bubble and squeak?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 11:31 AM
john

<BR>leslie,<BR>What I remember from my Edinburgh breakfasts was greasy bangers and greasy everything else. How do the Scots keep their arteries open?<BR>John<BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Tony Hughes

I think John Sevy hit the nail right on the head with bacon roll (buttered - euch!) with regular irn-bru.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Haggis McSporran

<BR>Dear John,<BR><BR>I must tell you that the fried breakfast is not the usual choice for us Scots. It is, however, what is provided in most tourist accommodation in the U.K.<BR><BR>I am pretty sure most Scots have some kind of cereal for breakfast, and we don't even fry it. <BR><BR>Some of us are getting just a bit fed up with the drunken, sentimental, whimsical, grease-guzzling Scottish stereotype we've been burdened with.<BR><BR>I've been silent about that for too many years.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 01:31 PM
carol

i agree with "haggis" - scottish/english etc. breakfast as served to tourists is as out of date as the "high tea". to the person who asked what are kippers and bubble and squeak, kippers are a type of smoked herring, and bubble and squeak is a combination of left over cabbage and potatoes fried up for breakfast which can be absolutely scrumptious<BR>come to wales for breakfast, youll get laverbread (fried cooked seaweed in oatmeal)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -