Details on Hotel de Lutece - Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some specific questions for those of you who have stayed at Hotel de Lutece in Paris recently. One post said their room had no closet. Anyone know if all the rooms are that way? Do the rooms with bath tubs have hand-held shower devices in them? Any specific room number suggestions for a larger twin-bed room. Also, what method did you use to make a reservation. Anyone have experience calling them, as far as English goes? Is a fax better?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM

We had a double room , 5th floor, overlooking the street. It is 2 twin beds pushed together.
There was a dresser, 2 chairs and 2 windows, the "closet" was a rod in the corner, with hangers.
The bathroom was almost larger than the bedroom with a handheld shower and no shower curtain .
We called and they speak English well.
My daughter had a very large twin/double room on a lower floor, looking out to the courtyard ( not so pretty)..but quiet and the bath/bed situation seemed to be the same.
All the rooms are a bit different .
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM

I requested a large double room for my husband and me. It was a nice surprise to us that the hotel gave us a room on the 5th floor overlooking the back of the hotel (no view in particular just of the rooftops). The room was apparently a triple as the beds (two twins pushed together) was on one side of the room with a desk and chair in the middle, and a small alcove on the next side of the room with a single bed. Upon entering the room there is a small passageway with an actual closet with sliding doors on the right and the alcove area had the TV set (one of those TV's that has a floor stand). We had a roomy bathroom but it contained a shower only. The shower head was wall-mounted. There was a sliding shower door that had three panels. It's an older shower that definitely needs replacing, but it was fine for us. In fact, I found out from the hotel that they will be doing renovations in spring 2006.

Reservations were made via email. The staff spoke good English when we were there so calling would be fine if you prefer.

Not sure if you can really ask for a specific room number. I booked our room five months in advance and emailed the hotel a few times about booking a large double with a view. They said they cannot guarantee me a room with a view but would do what they could.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM

franchophile, did you see the room on the top floor? with the beamed ceiling? I always thought that would be the room I would request if we went back there again
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Scarlett, no, I didn't get to see that room. I wish I had. Apparently the elevator doesn't reach the 6th floor and you get out on the 5th and walk up a short flight of stairs. Sounds like the kind of room I'd like with the beamed ceilings.

Btw, to elizacat, the housekeeper and the breakfast attendant are really sweet ladies. Also the hotel's coffee is the best I've had in Paris so far.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Yes, that room is right over the room we had, a little garret at the top of the hotel

and I agree about the coffee and the ladies !
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Elizacat, honestly, Scarlett and I are not being paid by the Hotel de Lutece!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I wish!! I would take the pay in free room and board

But really, it was the first hotel we stayed in when I had my first trip to Paris..so I have the fondest of memories..and now my children do too
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Scarlett, I see your point about the Lutece being sentimental and it's great to know that your children enjoy staying there too. I agree that free room and board there would be fine as payment for me too. Also if they can agree to including unlimited cups of coffee that'll be even better.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Scarlett & Francophile03 for the replies. The information is useful and I will try to make a reservation. It's for next September which I know is busy so hopefully it won't be booked.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Closets are a rather recent innovation. We recently stayed in a chateau near the Loire which was built 1873-1876. Not a closet in the entire place. Armoires served.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 05:02 PM

You're welcome, elizacat. If you check guidebooks they advise to reserve as far in advance as possible. So check with the hotel as to the earliest they will take reservations. Five to six months in advance at least is not uncommon. September is a typically busy month in Paris.