Deluxe vs Standard room in London

Sep 18th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Deluxe vs Standard room in London

I am looking for two double rooms in London for four nights in November (the 6th to 10th). I'm hoping to find a four-star hotel, but would prefer not to spend more than $200 (VAT incl) per night. A number of nice hotels have standard rooms that fit these criteria, but also offer deluxe rooms at an increased cost. These hotels (e.g. the Radisson Vanderbilt) have good reviews on these boards, but I can never be sure whether the posts refer to all rooms, or just the deluxe rooms. Has anyone had really bad experiences with Standard rooms in otherwise nice hotels??
Thank you!!!
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:25 AM

I'm not sure exactly how to answer this except to say the logical -- deluxe rooms are, well, more deluxe than standard rooms. More often than not, the major difference will be the size. Nine times out of ten when someone complains about the tiny size of a room, you can guess it was a standard room and not a deluxe one, so that is the first and most obvious difference. Once in a great while the difference may be the view from the room, or the decor, or the fact that the deluxe has a bathtub with a shower as opposed to just a shower or something like that, but size of room will be the number one difference. Most hotels will be able to give you the average size of the various category of room if you ask them, or certainly be able to tell you the differences.
Sep 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I guess my concern is that I would book a Standard Room (again, in a 4-star hotel), and then be disappointed to have gotten a closet with a saggy bed. Do you happen to know if the standard rooms at the Vanderbilt are good, bad, or ugly??
Thanks for the input!
Sep 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Have you looked at this hotel on the www.radisson.com website? You can do a "virtual tour" of both a standard and deluxe room and see the difference. I would not expect a saggy bed in one room rather than another. Again, I think it will simply be a matter of size, and from the looks of the two virtual tours, I am right.
Sep 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM

I would not expect a saggy bed in a 4* hotel. Std rooms can be smaller and other things, of course.

If it's any help, I booked a standard double queenbed room at Millennium Bailey's on londontown.com last summer and it was very nice and large. I paid less than your upper limit.
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:21 PM

We had a standard double room at the Rubens Hotel (4*) and it was fine. A little smallish, but air conditioned and nicely furnished with a great bathroom. We got a great deal on londontown.com but they also have specials on their website. They did have deluxe rooms and I'm sure they might have been larger with added amenities, but I didn't miss them!
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:04 PM

I agree that the difference will most likely be in size of room. A note on your budget: I stayed at the Sheraton Park Lane two years ago in November for $155/night booked on expedia.com, and have reservations at Le Meridien Grosvenor House this coming Nov. for 99GBP/night (approx. $160) booked at lemeridien.com. There are deals to be had -- just look around. Both of these rates are for Std rooms, and while I cannot comment on the Grosvenor House yet, the SPL was excellent -- large marble bathroom, a view of Green Park, etc. Good luck!
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments. I did look at the 360-degree pictures of the deluxe and standard rooms at the Vanderbilt (thanks, Patrick), and they did not look radically different.
Happy travels!!
Sep 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM

topping for more info on Vanderbilt Hotel