4 Days in Brazil - Amazon or Iguacu Fall?

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Days in Brazil - Amazon or Iguacu Fall?

My sister and her husband will attend a conference in Rio, Brazil for 3 days in early October this year. They would like to spend extra 4 days to see some place in the country. They are in their late thirties and active. Since they have limited time they can only see one place. Initially they were thinking about visiting Amazon. After some further research on this board and reading some books it seems to me that they may not get much out of it in 4 days. The flight from Rio to Manaus will take 5 hours each way and they probably need to take some boat ride further into the rain forest. This means they will spend 2 days out of 4 days on the road just to reach the Amazon and back. I am not sure if it is worth the trouble.

The other option I am considering now is to visit Iguacu Falls. It is closer to Rio with 2 hour flight. I know you can see the fall from both sides and can probably spend 2 days there.

Here are my questions:

1. Can you do Amazon in 4 days including travel time to/from Rio? Is it worth it? How to do it?
2. Is visiting Iguacu Fall a better option with the time constrain? Are there any other activities in Iguacu Fall area other than seeing the fall? Any recommendation?
3. Are there other places you would recommend them to visit for 4 days?

Thanks very much for your help!
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 12:06 AM

I think visiting the Amazon is really worth it but with 4 days including travel it would make more sense to go to Iguaçu. I'd suggest spending a couple of extra days after the conference in Rio and then going to the falls.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM

I'm with Susan7! Do try to spend a few more days in beautiful Rio de janeiro before flying to Foz do Iguacu.

I think when I went to the falls-- I flew in and met my guide who took me to the Hotel Tropical das Cataratas on the Brasilian side and the only hotel in the park. After I settled in-- I walked to the magnificent falls only to return to the hotel to enjoye its amenities and ambience-- eating sumptuous and reasonably priced meals (b-l-d) and taking in all that it offered.

The next day my guide arrived at the hotel and picked up two guests from Israel and me and took us to the Argentine side where we spent over five hours. When I returned to the hotel after taking some other great tours independently which were related-- I went to a cultural performance at a venue some 30 mins. away.

<While on the Argentine side-- go to the Sheraton Hotel to take in the falls from that vantage point! We managed, without the help of our guide, to see and hear them from one of the rooms.>

<I selected all of my tours from a centralized company that was based at the airport directly across from baggage pickup. This made my stay one that I'd never forget.>

Enjoy your impending experience. It will always be memorable!
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM

It's an awesome opportunity to be able to travel in such a wonderful part of the world. I had to make this same decision, between Iguazu and the Amazon. I spent 6 months traveling in Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil two years ago when I was 38.

Here is what I have to share: Iguzau Falls is a phenomenally beautiful and exciting thing to see! It is fairly easy to get to (we took a luxury sleeping coach--with butler!), full of activity and beauty, and I would recommend going to both the Argentine side (no visa required) and the Brazilian side (since you will already have the appropriate visa). It is simply breathtaking and beautiful, although I did go in a different part of the year, fall (there). Make sure to take a boat tour under the falls, it is an experience you will never forget! We also went on an 1/2 day tour of the jungle (Argentine side) where we saw many fascinating things including monkeys, insects and spiders as big as my hand.

One thing to remember, October is a "shoulder season" in the Amazon and it could be quite rainy and wet (mind you, I was rained upon for 3 straight weeks while traveling and it can both dampen and damper a good time!). Also, consider the possibility of contracting malaria...it is a real possibility in the Amazon. I did contract Dengue Fever in Rio, on my first trip there, and was quite miserable and sick for a couple of weeks. Also, consider the yellow fever vaccination--it cannot hurt! Those mosquitos could carry off a small child (and I was bitten A LOT despite that generally speaking, they don't even like me!)

I had the opportunity to go this month (August) to the Amazon(the dry season), before beginning my 3rd year of law school, but with malaria in mind, I chose to postpone until after the bar exam next summer. It is a great desire of mine to go there and experience the Amazon, but I have to consider all the consequences of doing so--it is "the wild," after all!

Either way, Amazon or Iguazu Falls, it should be awesome! Don't miss out on all Rio has to offer, one can spend many days seeing all there is to see--it is incredibly beautiful and interesting. Bring back coffee and bikinis and Havaiana flip-flops---high quality that does not compare in the USA!
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Have they considered the Pantanal? Better wildlife viewing than the amazon.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Definitely Iguacu! We went to the amazon last year and were disappointed, although we expected to be as our friends had told us not to expect to see lots of animals, but we wanted to "check it off our list" so we went. It is interesting to see a place like that you have always heard about, but because it is so vast, the animals don't hang out near where any of the pousadas or people are. So there is not much to do. Our friends had more time (like a week) so went deeper into the jungle and got to swim with the pink dolphins, but it is a long way in.

The Pantanal we also went to last year and it is great for seeing animals. But the best time of year is arond April-June.

But above either of them you must see the falls! Definitely one of the most amazing sights in S. America. We were just there a couple of months ago. If you want more info email me at [email protected].
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:39 PM

I would strongly recommend you to consider the "Lencois Maranhenses"option.
It is a coastal desert area in the north east ,the sand dunes are shining white (even the Maldives can't match that)and abuot 50 pct of the area consists of blue and green crystal clear lakes.
The blue-green-white landscape is breathtaking and truly unique.
On top of this the area is very easy to reach although( at least for the time being( it is off the beaten track and also it is absolutely safe and trouble-free.
You may well have a look through Google,lots of stunning pictures and films are available.
I will be pleased to provide you with detailed info if you wish.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:48 AM

I would second the suggestion to consider the Pantanal. Very good choice for the active outdoors type who wants to see nature. But alas their time is short. No matter their choice, they will be in a rush.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM

Oh - for a sneak preview of the Falls, I have posted a video of Foz do Iguaçu (scenes from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides on my blog. http://qualidadedevida-jim.blogspot....do-iguacu.html
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your reply. My sister has decided to go to the Iguassu Falls during this trip due to the time limit. Maybe other places later. They need some logistic help in planning the trip. Hope you can answer the following questions.

Here is their two day side trip from Rio to Iguassu Falls.

Oct. 5: Arrive at Rio (GIG) from US in the morning. Fly from there to Iguassu Falls, Brazil (IGU) arriving around Noon.

Oct. 7: Leave from IGU at 3:45 PM and back to Rio.

So they basically have two full days to see the falls. They have booked Sheraton hotel on Argentina side for 2 nights.

1. Itinerary and Activities

Here is the itinerary I would suggest to them. I would love to hear your thoughts on this and if you have any better suggestions.

Oct. 5: Go directly to Sheraton hotel from IGU airport. Tour the Argentina side of the falls in the afternoon. I learned that the light for photo is best in the afternoon on Argentina side. Possibly take a boat trip this afternoon or Oct. 7 in the morning

Oct. 6: Take a day trip to Brazil side. Visit Brazil side of the falls and tour the bird park. I am not sure if the dam is worth visiting.

Oct. 7. Visit the Argentina side of the park in the morning and then depart Sheraton hotel for the 3:45 PM flight from IGU to Rio.

My sister and her husband are in their late 30s and active. So they would also like to do some activities such as hiking, boating, white water rafting, etc. I heard boating on the Argentina side is less expensive. I don’t know if October is a good time (temperature and water level) for white water rafting. I don't know much about hiking in either side. They would like to do some hiking for good scenery for 2-3 hours (not all day hiking). If you have any suggestions for these activities and detail information of them I would really appreciate it.

2. Currency exchange and credit card acceptance

I read on Sheraton website that all guest need to have Argentina money (in cash) to pay the park entry fee before arriving at the hotel. Where can they get peso? They will only have access to ATM machine at these two airports (GIG and IGU) and both in Brazil before they arrive at park. If they hire a taxi from IGU airport to Sheraton hotel what currency should they pay the driver? They will also go to Brazil side of the falls during the visit. So they probably need Brazil cash as well. Where is the best place to get Brazil cash? Do most places near falls (parks, border crossing, restaurants, taxi drivers, stores, etc.) only accept cash? I assume Sheraton probably accepts credit card. Do they have to pay fees when cross the border from Brazil to Argentina and vice versa? How much are the fees and in what currency?

3. Transportation options

I read there are various buses go to the falls from various locations. I would like to know the difference in cost and trip length between taking the buses vs. taking the taxi. They need to get to Sheraton from IGU airport on arrival. How much is the costs for the taxi for that trip and how long will it take? If they take the bus how long would that trip take and do they have to change bus somewhere? They would also take a day trip from Sheraton to Brazil side of the falls. What is the best transportation option for that?

4. Restaurant options

I understand that dining options at Sheraton hotel are limited and very expensive. Just want to know if there are any other convenient and decent options for dinner if you stay at Sheraton.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM

we just returned from Brazil and the Falls...it's really impossible to capture in pictures...the volume of water, the number of falls, the layers of cascading water...really breathtaking and worth going...the only thing I'd disagree with is reasonably priced food...we also stayed at the Cataratas...a gorgeous hotel...very cool to be able to hang around the falls after the last bus of tourists leave...we basically had one of the Seven Wonders to ourselves till just after sundown...breakfast was included but lunch and dinner prices reflected that they had you inside the park with no other options lest you travel 30 minutes! : ) The dinner buffet was 99Reals which equated to about $70USD...the day in Argentina is great...more extensive trails on the Argentina side and the jet boat seems to go up and under the falls in a couple locations...just seemed more fun than what they wre allowed on the Brazil side...I'd recommend dinner on the Argentina side as well...CHEAP!! We had dinner at a Argentian Steak House and it costs $35US for two...for some reason they thought our steaks weren't cooked to our satisfaction (they were!) and they brought out a whole new round of steaks! We had to send our guide home with them! I'll try to locate the card because they also serve a nice river fish if youre not in the mood for beef...we were able to explore the Brazil side twice and used the whole day to go over to Argentina...but that leaves some spa time too...I think they made a good choice rather than the Amazon considering the time they have...
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

gatoratlarge,

Thanks so much for sharing your recent experience to the falls. Can you tell me if you need both Brazil Reals and Argentina Peso in the fall area depending which side you are in? Are these two currency interchangeable in the area? Can you use US dollars there? Where can you get the best exchange rate if you need to get local currency? Based on their itinerary they probably won't be near any bank before arriving at the Falls. Is airport ATM machine is the best place for local currency?

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM

You are so much like me- planning every last detail for all my family and friends! Must all be perfect right?

Well I think you made the best choice! The currency was not such a problem- both sides take both currencies. And they can get money out when they get to the airport (either airport). Also their hotel should change some money if they need more (ours did). So do they have any interest in staying one night on the Brazil side? We stayed 2 nights on the Arg side and one one the Brazil at the Cataratas. We booked the trip with Dehouche Travel, who got us a great deal there, and we would not have stayed there optherwise with the off-the-shelf- rates they had given us. We were so glad we stayed there for a night. We spent a full day on the Argentina side, with hiking and the boat ride, and then a half day on the Brazil side, then lunch, then the other half at the bird sanctuary. Then the next morning we wanted more and went for a light jog along the pathway that runs alongside the falls on the Brazil side, as we couldn't get enough! Another idea I just thought of is, they could arrive the first day and since they are already on the Brazil side, they can put their luggage in the luggage storage lockers at the park entrance and do the Brazil falls the first day? Then do the bird park the morning of the last day? Then they would have all day in between to see the Argentina side. Just a thought. Oh by the way, you can take the boat ride through the falls from boths sides, which we didn't realize.

The buses are easy to take, and very cheap. We took a taxi the first day and then walked the 10-15 minutes or so to the bus station on the Arg side from then on. They seem to leave around every 20 minutes or so. Actually the Sheraton is right next tot eh park isn't it? So that is easy- the bus will stop there. And they will need to take a taxi to cross the border. Not sure about buses across the border with visa checks and all, a taxi is easiest so it is one-on-one with the documentation.

As for restaurants, don't eat at the hotel, except for breakfast...they are never good. I will email you some of my recommendations, as well as others recommendations.