shots for Brazil & restaurants in Rio

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shots for Brazil & restaurants in Rio

We will be visiting Rio and Iguassu Falls. For those who have travelled there recently, did you get any special shots or take malaria pills. Are mosquitos a problem at the falls?

Any good restaurants we should hit in Rio?

Any other tips greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:59 AM

You don't need any shots in Rio.

The best restaurant on Copacabana is Dom Camillo Av Atlantica 3056
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Just back from Salvador, Iguassu Falls, and Rio. No shots needed. Everything in Brazil is just lovely in these areas. Do the river rafts from the Brazil side. Much better experience. On the Argentina side you are left at the bottom of the falls level and you will climb 1,000,000+ steps to reach the top of the falls level and then go to the rail station. But we did all possible river/falls trips and loved all of them. Do go to the bird park near the falls in Brazil. Excellent!
In Rio we hired an excellent English speaking private guide with car. His name Sallyr Lerner, email...mlerner @filippolippi.com.br. We just had 2 days in Rio and with Sallyr we managed to see as much as possible. Really good!
We went to a very good modern supermarket in the city of Foz do Iguassu. Bought lots of stuff to bring home.
Brazil was even better than we expected.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM

What kind of food are you looking for in Rio? Here are some of my faves:

http://naupaka808.tripod.com/id11.html

Don't drink too many caipirinhas too fast.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:14 AM

For Brazil, I had a yellow fever shot. Although this is not required to enter the country I was advised to have this, I suppose, on a better safe than sorry basis. As far as I know you won't have to take anti-malarials for a trip to the Falls. You may also consider vaccinations against cholera, diptheria etc. Again these are not required but my doctor reckoned it was good idea to do this.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM

My husband and I have travelled a great deal during our long/happy marriage. Probably longer than most Fodorites have lived. The one thing we have learned in our travels...get a good guide (either private or group) for your first day/days in a new big city. Best money we have ever spent. What a difference it makes to "learn" the city without stress. Wish we had learned this earlier in our travels.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Our doctor recommended what was probably overkill on shots, but since we were also planning to be in Africa about 3 montsh after going to Brazil we did it: yellow fever, Hep A, Hep B, typhoid, and tetnus. We also did malaria pulls, but we were going in to the Amazon region, so you probably wouldn't need those for Rio. One thing I discovered in Rio - don't hesitate to stop at one of the beach stands and get something to eat. I had a wonderful pastry filled with ham and cheese (it had a name I couldn't recognize so I didn't know what I was getting until I bit into it) as I wandered along Ipanema Beach. They also made one of the best caipirinhas that I had. Enjoy!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:17 PM

The wonderful pastry filled with ham and cheese could have been called a quejo misto, asking for that should get you something close.