Notices

Visiting Iguazu Falls

Nov 26th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Visiting Iguazu Falls

Taking a cruise out of Rio and would like to visit Iguazu Falls.Which is the more interesting side to go to, Argentina or Brazil? If it is the Argentinean side thinking of flying into BA, fly to the Falls and then on to Rio. Does this make sense? How many days at the Falls?
Nov 26th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I don’t think there is a "more interesting" they are just different. On the Argentine side it is more about getting up close to the falls, whereas the Brazilian side provide a more panoramic view.

Depending on flight times 2/3 nights there would enable you to cover both sides. I would go with whichever provided the most convenient or inexpensive flights.
Nov 27th, 2017, 05:40 PM

I did my Iguazu Falls trip prior to a cruise as well. I flew into Puerto Iguazu from BsAs using Latam, stayed at hotel in the town called Jardin De Iguazu for 2 nights. I visited the Brazilian side the first day and the Argentinian side the second. Yes, they are different and well worth the visit to both. To me the Argentinian side was more physically challenging with a lot of walking required. I did the boat ride as well and that was a hoot. I used what I would call a trip broker, Argentina4U (As well as many other 4U names) to make transportation and tour arrangements for my South America trip. They were excellent! I had the best tour guide I have ever had, Miguel on the Brazil side. Lots of folks talk about doing it all DIY, but I was so happy with the way I did it.

https://www.argentina4u.com/
Dec 8th, 2017, 02:48 PM

Totally agree you should see from both countries. You can stay in either country and visit both sides, the drive is not long.

The Argentine side requires a full day to cover the lower trail close to river, upper trail looking down, riding train out to platform over falls, etc. It is the up close experience.

The Brazilian side requires less time to walk the one trail along the top, stopping at all the amazing views. The panorama is fantastic.

There can be a wait to cross the border--lots of locals cross to shop. I would want to stay on the side from which I was flying onward to make travel to the airport for departure easier. The hotels along the highway on the Brazilian side are close to the entrance and airport, but out of town. The hotels on the Argentine side are in town, further from that entrance. Each side has one hotel inside the park. We splurged on one night in the Belmond on Brazil side to get late/early access that gave us some quiet time on the trail on our short visit.

You may also want to consider visa requirements, but it sounds as if you plan to visit both countries anyway.

Search this Thread