Rio to Iguazu falls

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rio to Iguazu falls

First time user here! My husband and I will be flying into Sao Paulo in May on the way to Rio for a few days. Flying Delta so we have to go thru Sao Paulo. My question is...we want to spend a couple days in Iguazu falls. Would we be better off going straight there from Sao Paulo and then to Rio? Is the airport close to the falls? Like taxi close? Thanks for any help. I've never been ro Brazil before. Husband has on business.
Karen
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:33 AM

The best thing will be to take a flight out of Sao Paulo to Iguazu and then to Rio. TAM and Varig offer flight from Sao Paulo. The airport in Iguazu is very close to the falls. Stay at the Sheraton Iguazu in the Argentina side, it is fabulous.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:33 PM

Hope you aren't just stopping to change planes in Sao Paulo and hoping to drive to the falls--way too far--yes, fly to Iguacu Falls from Sao Paulo, then Rio. For hotel stay at Hotel Bourbon--5 star at great prices; also a neat looking older hotel at the falls in Brasil(can't remember the name) It's the only one there. We didn't go to the Sheraton but saw it from the falls; stayed at Bourbon and wished we'd stayed at the older one at the falls. Fantastic sites. You can also take a quick trip to Paraguay(that Tijuana feel). Saw a great dinner show at the Teatro Plaza Foz--dancing from all 3 countries--and a great lunch at the Rafain Churrascaria, both in Foz do Iguacu--we love the people and the country--let us know if you want info on a great jungle lodge!! ENJOY!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM

First time to Rio for my wife and I in mid April 2004. Recomendation for best hotels under $200 per night.

We also want to go to Iguazu Falls from Rio. What is cost of flight? Should we book while in Rio or here now? Best places to stay Braizil side or Argentina?

Or recomendations for alternative side trips near Rio area?

Thank you fellow travelers.

MHS

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM

At $200 a night that will give you alot to choose from except maybe the Copacabana Palace and Ceasar Park. The Marriott is real nice. Take a look at www.blameitonrio4travel.com or http://www.carnaval.com/cityguides/brazil/rio/index.htm

www.ipanema.com has plenty of hotel choices too.

A place to go 110 miles outside of Rio is Buzios, check out www.buziosonline.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

I have been in contact with Cintia and she assures me that the Iguassu Sheraton on the Argentine side is the best hotel at the Falls. This is the only hotel that offers views of the Falls from your room. I will be staying at the Iguassu Sheraton in July.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:36 PM

the old hotel in brazil is the hotel das cataratas. nice location, but the place is rather disappointing, has seen much better days...
sheraton in argentina is by far superior, great views from the balcony if you book the better rooms and they have much better food, too. if you do not want to get the pricey rooms, you can still enjoy the views if you go on the hotels roof. a door besides the highest elevator floor(3rd?) leads to the stairway to the roof....
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Dear Artnkar,
I went with my Argentine sister-in-law last December. We stayed at the Sheraton on the Argentine side on her advice. She said there's more to do on that side...you have a panoramic view on the Brazil side, but on the other side, you can do so much more and actually be in the falls. If you stay at the Sheraton, you're already in the park every day, you don't have to travel in, you just wake up with them. You can get busy when you arise. You must take the boat ride that goes under the falls. The food and amenities are quite nice. We also took a private car into Port Iguazu one day for sightseeing and went to a mate field and an amethyst mine. It was a reasonable charge (about $50/day US) for a car and driver. We flew on an airline, I think Southern Airways, and had a good package deal.
Bon Voyage,
Abbey