Need Suggestions for Iguazu Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently planning a several weeks long trip through Brazil, but am having trouble figuring out some logistics for Iguazu Falls. Tips from anyone who has been previously are welcome.

1. I'm arriving and leaving on flights from Foz de Iguacu. Which side of the falls should I stay on?
2. Would it be crazy to arrive/leave from the Brazilian side but stay in Puerto de Iguazu on the Argentinian side, and cross back into Brazil for a day? I have 2 full days.
3. I may be there during the time the moonlight tours are offered in the Argentinian park. Which side should I be staying on if I want to do this?
4. Any other tips? Good (midrange) hotels?

Thanks, in advance!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I only went to the Arg side and it was fabulous. We missed the moonlight tours but would have thought that to be fantastic to go on. Which side are you departing from? That woudl make a difference.
We stayed on a great rate at the Sheraton, so cant help with hotels.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:55 AM

Argentina side best

www.directrooms.com

www.sidestep.com

in the park splurge for the Sheraton if you can...
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM

In the middle 2000's, I flew from either Salvador, Bahia or from Sao Paulo to Foz do Iguazu. When I arrived in Foz, I made reservations for my tours right at the airport. Then my special guide delivered me to the Hotel das Cataratas, a stellar venue in all respects, which is the only hotel in the park per se. It's on the Brasilian side which was fine with me because the next day my tour guide picked up three clients and took us to the Argentine side of the falls.

Both sides of the falls are magnificent, so it is a matter of personal tastes and one's assessment. But if you stay on the Argentine side-- try to stay in the Sheraton. From this hotel you can view the falls in all of their glory.

At the Hotel das Cataratas on the Brazil side, one can see the falls from his splendid room as well as hear them.

You would not go wrong with qwovadis's ideas or mine. We're basically "on the same page." But do go to the falls on both sides. It's easy in terms of passport/visa.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:54 AM

While you are there, try to see both the Brazilian and Argentine side of the falls. This can easily be done on the same day. I saw both sides on the same day using the local buses. Even with all the waiting around and transferring one has to do when using public transit, I had plenty of time to see both sides of the falls within the same day.
I was also there for two days. On my first day, I just visited the Argentine side of the falls, but left early due to an unexpected torrential downpour.
The Argentine side provides you with a much more intimate experience of the falls. On the lower path, you can follow narrow trails nearly enveloped by foliage, which will take you very close to the water (you might get misted), and smaller waterfalls cascading down rock faces. The upper path takes you across a foot bridge, which offers more panoramic views as well as a thrilling vantage point over the Devil's Throat. When I was there, I often stopped to snap photos of colorful birds and butterflies.
A little train takes you to the trailheads.
The Brazilian side impresses you with the vast scale and breadth of the falls. You can appreciate the Devil's Throat from a lower point of view, almost as if you are in it.
Hotel das Cataratas would be a wonderful place to stay, but I don't think it is a mid-range hotel. If I were you, I would check Trip Advisor for hotel recommendations on both sides. If I were you, I would avoid staying in Foz do Iguaçu city--this is a city of more than 300,000. However, there are some nice hotels on the Brazilian side not too far from the park on Rodovia das Cataratas (Rodovia means highway or freeway).
I have visited Iguazu Falls twice. The first time I stayed in Foz do Iguaçu city. However, this was almost 30 years ago, and the city was still slow and easy-going. On my last visit, two years ago, I stayed in Puerto Iguazú in Argentina. I thought it was perfect. Small, slow, and relatively quiet, but with all services--restaurants, buses, banks, shops, travel agencies (it seems to be a town that exists for tourist going the falls). I stayed at the mid-range Panoramic Hotel, which was about a 10 minute walk from the center of town. The decor was stylishly modern. CNN on flat screen TV in the room. Views from some of the rooms (not of the falls, but of the river and forests/jungle). It was winter, so they had drained the pool for cleaning, but it looked lovely. Had it been summer, I definitely would have used it. I must admit, though, if had deeper pockets, I would have stayed at the Sheraton! Like the Hotel das Cataratas, it is right in the park itself (though on the Argentine side).
Anyhow, once you have picked out a hotel on Trip Advisor, I would contact that hotel personally and ask them if they can arrange transport from the airport as well as to the falls.
I don't know if you need to pay for a visa to enter the Argentine side of the falls (you did not have to pay for an Argentine visa two years ago, but things might have changed--others on this board will know). I had both visas.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 02:32 AM

Forgot to mention that the Panoramic Hotel had a great breakfast spread.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:19 PM

I love both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides, and I don't think you can say one is better. I stayed at the Sheraton, which was great, and if you collect Starwood points, you can often get a good cash and points deal. See if you can get a Starwood AMEX with some free points to start you off.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:20 PM

I did take a look in Hotel das Cataratas, which is in (of course) a magnificent setting and seems to be a nice, old-style hotel, but it's certainly not cheap. But I would love to stay there too.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I stayed at the Hotel Cataratas last October. It wasnt horrible, but it wasnt great. The pictures look a lot better than it is. Huge rooms which is nice, but kind of shabby. It seemed like a hotel that is past its hayday circa 1970s.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I stayed at a hostel right in Puerto Iguazu, they are all lined up it only costed us $10 a day. You really only need a day or two to see it all. Here are some links to buses that go to Iguazu from Brazil and Buenos aires:
http://omnilineas.com/
http://plataforma10.com/

Hope that helps:
http://www.wanderingtrader.com
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:36 AM

We did not stay at the Sheraton. However, we ate at both the Sheraton and Hotel de Cataratas. My vote goes to the Sheraton.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 07:38 AM

> You really only need a day or two to see it all.

You can see a lot in that time, but for sure, you will also miss a lot. Just do what you can do, though.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM

I have a completely different question -- do people have ideas for what to do if you have 4-5 days to pass in the area? I'll be there without a car, based in Foz, while my companion attends a conference. Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM

It might be a little expensive, but I think it would be interesting to get a guide and go to various spots in Misiones province in Argentina. You could probably visit some spots in Paraguay too. The reason I suggest a guide is that I personally would not want to rent a car there, and I'm not sure of the logistics of renting a car for 3 different countries. At any rate, I know there are various interesting places you can visit, although I don't recall them.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Has anyone on the thread stayed at the Mabu Thermal Resort?
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Last year we stayed at Los Troncos on the AR side. Very spacious two level rooms that will sleep five with refrig and balcony overlooking the pool. The husband and wife staff were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Will arrange transfer from the airport and return. We walked about 4 blocks to town that has many restaurants and the bus to the falls. We are not budget travelers but we do not like big box hotels. Besides, if you stay at the Sheraton or other outlying resorts you are stuck unless you take a taxi or a bus to town. Los Troncos will prepare lunch or dinner for you. The average per night was U.S. 115.