Malaria pills for Peru/altitude sickness

Jul 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Malaria pills for Peru/altitude sickness

My friend and I are traveling to Peru next Sunday. We are visiting Lima, Nazca, Cusco, Macchu Pichu and Puerto Maldonada. We got Hep a, Hep B, yellow fever and typhoid vaccinations. Our agent in Peru says there hasn't been an outbreak of malaria in 25 years. Did anyone take any pills for malaria prevention (as in some kind of antibiotic)? Also- did anyone suffer from altitude sickness in Cusco? Thanks!
Jul 17th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Can't comment on malaria. We didn't have any problems with altitude sickness, but that varies from person to person, you won't know until you get there how/if you will be effected..
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Where is your travel agent getting their info from? All government sources indicate a risk of malaria around Puerto Maldonado.

You can decide to use things like DEET and clothing treated with permerthrin, as the risk is lower if you are there for a few days.
Jul 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM

... for ONLY a few days is what I should have written.
Jul 18th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Hmmm... Medical advice from a travel agent. Would you seek advice on your holidays from your doctor? Seriously though, I have had malaria and it is not pleasant. Check you country's official travel health website and get the correct pills for the area. you should be aware that with some pills you need to start taking them a week or so before arrival and for some time afterwards. It only takes one bite..
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:53 AM

www.mdtravelhealth.com Peru CORRECT CDC info

for altitude illness malaria risk issues

There is malaria risk in the jungle take Doxycycline

if you will be there a long time otherwise

www.cutteradvanced.com and insect precautions.

Altitude Illness a big risk in Cusco 11000-12000 ft

ALWAYS take Diamox(Acetazolamida) 2 days B4 and after

ascent pick up cheaply at pharmacies in www.mirafloresperu.com

for $5 or so without a prescription...do review all health

issues B4 you go your travel agent apparently not up to speed

Have fun,
Jul 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM

More side effects with doxycylcine for women especially discuss with your travel doctor. Mine recommended Malarone as first choice, start two days before and continue a week after. Malarone is more expensive if your health plan doesn't cover it. I just had a copay.
Jul 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM

We just returned from our trip to cusco and Machu Picchu and the Jungle and we did take altitude sickness pills and had no problem and we live in flat NJ. We did not take malaria pills and had no problems with bug bites, we used bug spray once on the trek and liberally in puerto Maldonado. We talked to other trekers from the midwest who got really sick from the Altitude so I think it helped.