Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Soccer is an intrinsic characteristic of Latin America

Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

For those traveling to South America I believe that at this moment it should be obvious
that going to a soccer match is part of the tradition and flavor of countries such as Argentina, Brazil , Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru ...etc
Among the 8 best teams this World Cup four-Argentina, Brazil,Uruguay and Paraguay- are from the region. I find it very revealing.
This is a sport that can easily been played without expensive equipment.
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM

Majority of posters on these forums are from the US. So unless you are from one of those countries, no one cares about soccer. At least not enough to take the time to see a game while on vacation.
Jul 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM

baldone... is that a statistic somewhere that we can see?
I mean, there are posters here from all over Europe as well as South America and Asia..
The Trip Advisor forums are full of people from the US as well as Europe who ask how to get tickets to see a futbol game here in Argentina.
In fact, there are tour companies that take tourists to the games, US and European tourists.
Jul 13th, 2010, 06:51 AM

We English invented football (N.B. NOT soccer), but it still bores me to tears! I really don't think nationality has much of a bearing on the love or otherwise of the sport. For some reason it is arguably the most popular sport in the world so a lot people do seem to care although personally I would prefer a trip to the dentist...
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:49 AM

crellston, someone said not long ago about the popularity of football in the world .. that when poor children have nothing else to do or play with, they will be kicking a ball or something resembling a ball, around in the street or field.
That is all it takes to play soccer/futbol , some kids and a ball.
Since living here in South America, I have come to learn how basically the Entire World knows / likes/ watches/plays Futbol to some degree, but not really the US.
It just never caught on there and I don't know why.
It is fast and exciting, I liken it to ice hockey.
And the players look good, so there you have it
Jul 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Yes, there are statistics...soccer (it is not "football") consistently ranks below "poker after dark" in the ratings. And even then, it only rates on the Latin networks. It has never caught on in the US because of the NFL, NBA, MLB, MMA, UFC, PGA, and college football & basketball. That and it is a boring sport that is corrupt and the players fake injuries. It is a child's sport in the US. After the age of 12, they no longer have any interest. IMO.
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:54 AM

A explanation of the differences between American football and real football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD_8prYOxo
Jul 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM

baldone, they call it football here (South America) .. futbol... sorry.
You are talking about statistics for just the US ? Not the World? Meanwhile, I am so loving Rugby now !
All Blacks !!
Jul 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Rugby - Now that's what I call a sport!
Jul 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Soccer, futbol, dirt hockey, whatever you want to call it will never be popular in the US unless the US wins the world cup, which will never happen, so it's a moot point. And even if they did, no one would talk about it for another 4 years. I'm just telling you why it never caught on in the US. And it's not for the lack of trying: Pele', Beckham, indoor, outdoor, nobody cares no matter how much money is thrown about. It's a 3rd world sport. And just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good. Have you ever heard of American Idol?
Jul 17th, 2010, 07:18 AM

<<It's a 3rd world sport. >> Third World? you mean like England and France and Italy and Germany are Third World ?
Or is anything not from the US, Third World to you?

Reverse it and think about it that way- Where else in the World, do they play American football?
Jul 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

I guess baldone is missing the point, when you go to Buenos Aires and go to a tango show, should you consider if it is better than jazz, or as good as salsa,>?.

For me the answer is NO.for me the point is if you are visiting Buenos AIres a tango show is one of several local things you can explore because tango music is part of the "Argentine history and culture" the same with football, or football or soccer or calcio whatever you like to call it, obviously it is an important ingredient of the life of porteños and of many Latin-Americans, it is a very important part of the place you are visiting.
Same thing if you go to Spain you might enjoy a Corrida de Toros, or if you visit the US a baseball game or if you go to Sienna you will love to see the Il Palio ,...... as Scarlet rightly points out there many tourists that feel this way and for this reason there are companies that take the tourists to futbol games.
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM

We all strive to keep this forum as pleasant and polite as possible.

I feel "Or is anything not from the US, Third World to you?" is somewhat out of bounds.

About the subject matter, I have heard rugby defined as "a game for hooligans, played by gentlemen".

However, I define "fútbol", soccer or whatever you want to call it, as "a game for hooligans played by hooligans". LOL!!!
Jul 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Yes, Graziella, those football tours here are very popular with the tourists .. from all over the world.
Some people will have tours for all sorts of odd things, but the Football tours are definitely popular.
Jul 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

I agree, I do not care much for football or soccer because I play tennis and love to watch tennis but I have been to some soccer matches because as I tried to explain I believe that they are an authentic manifestation of the LatinAmerican way of life. Hooligans I do not care for them, I believe they are a fringe extremist group . When I travel I always have tried to see, to feel as much as I can different aspects of the way of life of the places I visit. ( This within reason there might some habits or shows or sports or whatever that I would reject placing them of the question) again I feel that soccer in Latin America is an important element to offer a glimpse at LatinAmerican life.
Jul 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM

Exactly the way we feel too, Graziella.
We would not go to a game, but if we are going to live in Argentina, we feel that we should participate and try to enjoy every aspect of life here.. it is not hard to do, this is a lovely place to live where most of the people are welcoming and very nice.
Actually, everyone we have met is pretty much wonderful.
And it was the World Cup after all ... we never really watched before but we enjoyed it thoroughly, watching after every goal, the way the people in other buildings came out on their terraces and cheered, cars/taxis would honk as they went by .. you knew there was a goal when you heard a lot of taxi horns lol.
It has been exciting and educational.
Maybe things are different out in the countryside, but here in the city, Football is a Big Deal :- )
There are tours that take tourists to the games... there are people who will make up a tour for just about anything to get at those tourist dollars..
And about hooligans.. I have been lucky not to have come across that in my stay here so far and will continue to avoid places where they might be.. even though it will mean I have to watch out in England and Spain too ... L O L
Jul 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM

My point was, is that by and large, Americans don't care about soccer in their own country, let alone pay to see it while traveling. And if Scarlett and Graziella won't or don't care to go to matches in their own countries, that's not exactly an endorsement. We in the US do know about soccer. We know it's important in rest of the world, but not here. We have soccer here. We don't go here, we won't go while in South America. By the same token, I would put attending a sporting event last on the list for any visitor to the US. There's so much more to see and do, just as there is in Europe or South America.