Villa Rio Mar vs. Costa Paraiso

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on staying at Villa Rio Mar vs. Costa Paraiso in Dominical? Going there in 10 days.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Stayed at both a couple years ago.

We had the least desirable room at Costa Paraiso at the time, Coconut Cove. The owners were new and enthusiastic and helpful with info and attitude but the room was not good. I see they have done alot of remodeling since then which is a plus but that wont change the fact the beach is not great for swimming or that many of the rooms look out onto the roof of the owners large house located below the others. The grounds were pleasant but we didn't like the gazebo full of bat guano. It was hard to find a clean place to sit. That may have changed now also. The ac in the unit was appreciated and needed.

Villa Rio Mar had the restaurant which was a plus. The unit we had had no AC which was difficult. The river was a nice place to walk in the morning birding and hear the incredible cicada racket. I'm not interested in returning to either though.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for information Earthtraveler. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Cristal Ballena? I just want to stay somewhere nice and relax.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM

I stayed at Villa Rios Mar in 2005. The grounds are pretty and the restaurant was good, but the rooms were hot and dirty. (The porches are nice.)Service was the worst I've ever seen, which was especially shocking for Costa Rica. The desk clerks were downright nasty. Towels were dirty, etc., so I don't really recommend it.

Sandy
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM

p.s. at the time some locals recommended Rocca Verde for the next visit.

Sandy
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:00 PM

We stayed at Villas Rio Mar a few years ago. the room was not clean and we had no hot water. When we mentioned that to the clerk the next morning (as a courtesy to the next guest) he told us very nastily that we still had to pay for the room. In no way were we implying we were not going to pay or ask for a discount. He was very, very rude. I thought the restaurant food was not good and service was awful. I would never go back.