Gay Couple Traveling to Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice for a gay couple traveling to Costa Rica. We will be staying in Manual Antonio. Considering either Makanda (which is labeled as gay friendly) or La Plantacion which is for gay men. This is a vacation of a lifetime and although La Plantacion looks nice Makanda has had such rave reviews I really would like to stay there...I only wonder how the atmosphere is and whether or not the guests and or staff would be comfortable. I would appreciate any info you could share based on your experiences.

Thanks, Scott
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM

If I remember correctly Colours has tours in Costa Rica. If you are really worried about particular hotels you could contact them.
The Moon Handbook to Costa Rica has quite a few contact numbers for gay friendly travel in CR but I don't know how current they are. Hopefully someone will answer with more practical info for you. Good Luck and have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Scott,
We stayed at Makanda, and if this is a trip of a lifetime for you and your partner, I highly recommend it. The staff was very friendly, and although we are married yuppies, I would imagine they would treat you with the utmost respect. It is a very classy establishment. Randall, the main bartender, is rastafarian and has a booming laugh that is contagious. He is single but has a kid- very friendly and outgoing. One of the waiters appeared to be gay, but I can't be sure. Kimberly in the office was also very nice, and I strongly suggest you contact her directly via the web site and tell her your concern. I really think she'd be honest with you. You can tell her Jill and Andy from January referred you (we were in Villa 8- it was magnificent). Good luck.

Jill
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses....I am probably going to go with a studio at makanda for 4 nights and a villa at Villa Nicolas for the last two nights. Does that sound like a good plan? (That is the only time available that fit my needs at Makanda). It is either that or the whole week at Villas Nicolas. Any feedback on plan would be appreciated...Thanks for those of you who have replied!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:39 AM

We were at Makanda last year in February and there was a lesbian couple there then. There certainly didn't appear to be any hassles for them.

We loved the place, it's truly beautiful and with great service and a warm attitude.

Jean
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:53 AM

TTT
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:24 AM

JeanH- if your visit was in Feb, 2003, my husband & I were at Makanda the same time. We saw that couple at dinner and they seemed quite comfortable & happy. Some other diners chatted with them for a bit (maybe it was your group?).

At any rate, everyone in the Makanda setting (guests & staff alike) seemed very comfortable and accepting. I think you will really love it!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:23 AM

SierrasMom, We never had dinner at Makanda (only lunch) so it wasn't us that you saw. Were you there when there was that heavy rain that caused a hatch of some sort of white flying ant type thing? We were in a studio and the poor woman in Villa One, which is open air, was hysterical. I don't like to eavesdrop, but it was pretty unavoidable. Makanda was full at the time and they ended up having to move that couple to El Parador for the night. I don't know if they ever moved back, apparently her husband was happy at Parador since there was a TV in the room.....

Jean