Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Tambor, Nosara and Samara, Costa Rica?

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our third trip to Costa Rica for August. For a while we were considering going to one or two Caribbean islands as an alternative but I think we'll forego the Caribbean trip since it would be the height of the hurricane season and while we have no problem dealing with some rain, we wouldn't like to cancel the vacation due to an impending storm!
So the plan is to go for 2 weeks in the second half of August, stay first and last nights in Alajuela (Xandari) and then head out to explore Nicoya Penninsula starting in Tambor, stopping for a few days both in Samara and Nosara and then a few days in Tamarindo. We will rent a 4x4 for the whole trip and will take the coastal road to the extent passable.
The question is where we should stay in Tambor, Nosara and Samara. I like the looks of Tango Mar in Tambor and there don't seem be too many other places (we like small, clean, upscale hotels with nice pools, on or close to the beach - the pool being our daughter's requirement! - Something like Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo would be best). But there are almost no reviews or reports discussing Tango Mar. In Samara, I like the looks of Las Brisas del Pacifico, although there are no pictures of their rooms on their website. Again, there are no reviews available. In Nosara, well, that is the problem. I have no idea where to stay in Nosara that will meet our requirements.
Ally or anyone else who visited those towns, please come to the rescue!!! I would like to prebook the places to stay and not deal with uncertainty, even though we are going during the rainy season.
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:26 PM

HI-
Although I haven't been yet, I am staying at Villas Playa Samara in Sept for a week...looks good...the website is www.villasplayasamara.com I think.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:44 AM

We stayed in Nosara 2 years ago at the Casa Tucan (next door to the Cafe de Paris). The rooms were big with a kitchenette. Everyone in the area seemed to come to the bar at the Tucan at night. We left for a few days. When we came back we couldn't get a room at the Tucan so we stayed around the corner at the Harbour Reef. The pool is rather small. The room was more of a standard hotel/motel room with not kitchenette. Refer to the following site for a listing of these and other hotels in the area.

http://www.nosara.com/community.htm#hotels
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Hi Iza,
Nosara is not known for upscale hotels, but I have a few ideas. Although I've not stayed at these first two places, they both look nice.
Casa Romantica-is very close to the beach and I've driven by it. It's hard to see inside the grounds because of fencing, but the peeks I've seen have been very nice!
Villa La Ventana-Although it's not on the beach, this is probably the most expensive place in the area. It's really just a private house that rents out 3 very nice looking suites. Upscale kind of place, but like I said, not on the beach. It's built up on a hill in the area affording excellent views like you'd find in Manuel Antonio. As it is SUCH a small property, your daughter may not like it as there won't be any kids around.
I've stayed at Harbor Reef. It's okay, but as previous poster mentions, their pool is VERY small. I've seen bigger hot tubs! Well, that's really not true but trust me that your daughter would NOT enjoy this pool, and the rooms are fairly bland.
We stayed one night at a little hotel across the street from Villa Taype..I THOUGHT it was Casa Tucan, but does match the description from previous poster so I'm not sure. In any case, you would not like this place either. Nothing upscale about it and very small rooms. The restaurant is good however, so keep that in mind when in the area. As I said, it's just across the road from Villa Taype.
We have stayed at Villa Taype 4 or 5 times and really like it. It's very close to the beach and your daughter would love the pool. I'm a 'pool person' myslef and love this pool. May just be the best in the area!
You would NOT like the 'hotel rooms' that we have stayed in (we travel on low budget) as they are older and not very big, BUT, they had just recently completed some new 'cabana' type rooms when we were last there in Jan. that looked VERY, very nice. We inquired about moving to one of those, but they were all booked (it was New Years) and were a bit more than we wanted to spend! I think you'd be happy there with the exception of the fact that it's not exactly a SMALL property. It does not feel like a huge property, because other than the 'hotel' rooms which are built around the pool, the 'cabanas' are scattered around the property with more privacy. I think the property is similar to Capitaz Suizo (I love that place!) except slightly larger, but even the cabanas are not as fabulous as the 'bungalows' as Capitan Suizo! Having been to Nosara so many times, these three properties would be the only ones I would recommend based on what your looking for.
Sorry I can't comment on Tambor or Samara. While I've been through both areas, I've not stayed there.
As for Tambor, I hope you know there is not really a decent size town! Have you considered going a little further to Mal Pais? There is a VERY nice place there. If interested let me know and I'll look it up for you.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Iza
Original Poster

Thanks all, especially Ally, for great suggestions.
I am not stuck on Tambor. The reason why I considered it is that I saw it on that terrible TV show (can't remember the name of it) and it really looked nice. I watched this show to see all the cool places in Costa Rica (they had one of the couples stay at Punta Islita, another at Tabacon etc.).
I would definitely consider other options on Nicoya that would generally be in keeping with our chosen route around the penninsula.
I just checked Casa Romantica and it looks very nice. Villa Ventana may be too small. Villa Taype also looks like a possibility.
I am curious about the place you mentioned in Mal Pais - would it be Flor Blanca? It looks fabulous on the web but is really expensive. I generally don't mind spending between $100-200 a night if it is a nice place but Flor Blanca charges something like $300 minimum per night!
And Ally, you guessed it right, we will be ending our trip in Tamarindo at Capitan Suizo at one of the bungalows!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Iza
Original Poster

One more question, does anyone know if there is any decent snorkeling at the beaches on Nicoya? We have done a lot of snorkeling in Hawaii last year and enjoyed it but are wondering if it's worth taking snorkeling equipment with us to Costa Rica.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Iza..how funny. I know what TV show you're talking about but can't remember the name of it either. I watched it for the scenery too!
The place I was talking about in Mal Pais is the Milarepa Bungalows, much more reasonable than Flor Blanca! But it's a pretty small place too.
We stayed at Tropical Latino. The rooms there were very large, with a king bed (how often do you see that in CR??) and a twin! I choose it because their pool is so near the beach I could swim in the pool and watch the surf at the same time!
As for snorkeling, yes there are some decent spots around Nicoya. Not GREAT, but okay. There is a little cove just north of Nosara that we enjoyed, but I can't remember the name of it, sorry. I'm sure someone at your chosen hotel can help with suggested areas. Personally, I aways take my mask and snorkle and dive boots, as that stuff does not take up TOO much room, but I leave the fins at home on most trips.
There is a beach town called Ostional about 20 minutes from Nosara where the sea turtles come for 3-4 days or so every month to lay their their eggs. I'm talking hundreds of turtles. I hope you're in the area when this happens. It's an amazing site to see!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Hi ladies, cna't help with accommodation but just to let you know that I think the show you were wondering about was Temptation Island. Awful indeed but the scenery (in CR) was wonderful. Also, as an aside, pricey Flor Blanca is run by Susan Money and her husband who originally ran Sueno del Mar in Tamarindo.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:53 PM

hi-we are headed for costa rica in august. We were planning to stay in tamarindo but I have been reading about Mal Pais and also Monteczuma. Can those of you who have been to this area give me an idea of how these towns differ? Do you recommend one over the others? thanks
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:38 AM

I've not been to Montezuma so I can't compare between there and Mal Pais. I can say that Mal Pais is much smaller than Tamarindo. The area is also a little 'greener' than Tamarindo. There are more options of things to do in Tamarindo as it's bigger and gets more tourist...which is what I generally stay away from!