Tabacon Resort or Other

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Dolores

Tabacon Resort or Other

If I could choose by website, Tabacon would certainly be a top choice. But, some people have not been too pleased with this place because of inferior food, rude guests, etc. How do you feel ? Only plan to stay 2 nights and those beautiful grounds are hard to turn down. Also, do you know if the short waterfalls there are too noisy for quiet times? Too close to the rooms of the hotel ? In March, would there be any water there ? Other problems ?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Tess

-
The hotel portion of Tabacon is separate from the hot springs resort area. It's a very short walk (downhill from the lodge to the resort); or you can use the free shuttle van to travel to/from. We found it easy enough to walk down there, but after a few hours relaxing in the hot waters I preferred to avoid the uphill trek and use the van to return to the room.

As I described in another thread asking about hotels in Arenal area, I liked my stay at Tabacon. I didn't have any problems with rudeness; to the contrary, everyone was quite pleasant. Do note that I was there a few weeks ago and it's less crowded and not as hectic at this time of year than when you're planning to visit in March. During the high season the resort gets very busy in the afternoons (after 2pm) as the "day-trippers" arrive by bus for an afternoon soak. I agree that dinner is so-so; breakfast on the other hand was good. For the price that they charge for dinner (2 options on where to eat) I think it's better/tastier/cheaper to go in town (La Fortuna) to eat. We had a car with us, so transportation wasn't a problem. I've read other comments & taxis are fairly easy and inexpensive to arrange.

I doubt you'll have to worry about water during the March; the waters come rushing down from the hillsides. Although the term "dry season" is used it's still a tropical climate. Yes, it is less rainy than in the "green season" however you really need not worry that the pools will dry up. I'd say the area of Guanacaste in NW portion of Costa Rica truly is the section that is "dry" during the high season.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:41 PM
grace

I didn't think the hotel was anything special and the hot springs area felt a bit like a theme park with the day visitors even though they are nice to sit in. The massages were nice and I can't remember if the food was any good. If you do spend time in the area, I recommend horseback riding to the falls. You horseback ride to the area, hike down to the falls, and jump in. It's really refreshing and lots of fun.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Kasia

I just returened from my Honeymoon in Costa Rica and we stayed at Tabacon for 3 nights.
The hotel was quite nice, I was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised.
Like another poster mentioned the Hot Springs and Hotel are seperate. We did not find the springs crowded but it was off-season. I can imagine this place getting really crowded in-season as people can come and pay for the day at the hot springs.
We did have some spa services which were REALLY wonderful.
The food was just average. Dinner was buffet style. We went into Town and ate at Las Brasitas one night and Lava Rocks another night.
We had a nice time and the people were all really helpful and warm!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:13 AM
dave

We stayed at Tabacon in August and really enjoyed it. Agree with the above postings, resort lovely, breakfast very good, skip dinner and go into town. One tip though, go to the hot springs first thing in the morning and you'll have it all to yourselves. Even in August, the Hot Springs were packed by mid-afternoon.