Alajeula (San Jose) Hotels

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Dolores

Alajeula (San Jose) Hotels

How would you rate Hotel Martino and Xandari hotels ? Anything in that area better ?

We would not have to go thru San Jose to return car to S.J. airport from Guanacaste?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Iza

I have not heard about Hotel Martino, but we stayed at Xandari for a couple of days in the summer of 2000 and loved it. The location, the grounds, the rooms were all great. I would highly recommend it.
We also liked Vista del Valle (stayed there in the summer of 2001) which is a bit further away from the airport (but convenient if you are driving from Guanacaste to SJ). We liked it almost as much as Xandari. Vista del Valle is a bit more cozy and homey than Xandari, Xandari has a real restaurant and better grounds and better views than Vista del Valle, IMO.

You do not have to go through SJ in order to return the car at SJ airport if you are driving from Guanacaste.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
wendy

Can't imagine anything better than Xandari; beautiful, romantic, friendly...stayed on honeymoon...loved the place!!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Janey

The airport is before San Jose from Guanacaste, so no problema!

These hotels are really upscale places. A nice little alternative is to stay at one of the bed and breakfasts at Alajuela. Some have airport pickup and really help make your stay pleasant: Cannon's Oasis, Charlie's Place, Los Volcanes, Mango Verde, Pension Alajuela. And you pay about 1/4-1/2 of what you pay at a hotel!

I've stayed at several of them and can especially recommend Cannon's Oasis and Los Volcanes.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Kasia

We stayed at Xandari at the tail end of our trip in a Prima Villa and it was wonderful! The grounds are GREAT and the pancakes and coffee were incredible!
It was a perfect ending to our Honeymoon!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Tess

I was in CR last month and stayed in the Martino for one night, my last night there before flying back home. Unfortunately, I've not stayed at either Xandari or Vista del Valle and so cannot compare it to those places. It was a lovely place. And especially since I paid the same price to stay there as I did for my 1 night at the Hampton Inn (ah, the advantages of traveling during low season). Since the Martino promotes itself as a 5-star place, I thought there were a couple things about my room that could be improved upon. The bathroom with toilet, bidet, shower was more on the cozier size, similar to ones that you see in 2 or 3 star European hotels. And I thought they carried the Italian bathroom style too closely with one of those "telephone" booth style showers. On the other hand, having a bidet was a nice touch. And the sink/vanity area outside the toilet was well appointed; good lighting & mirrors. Admittedly, I'm being extremely particular and these would only be issues had I paid the regular price during high season.

The grounds of the hotel are well maintained. However I do think the faux Italian statutes scattered around are a bit kitschy. I did meet the owner, a very pleasant Italian man from Naples, I believe.

There were only a handful of clients beside myself, so I can't say how their level of service stands up when it's busy.