Tabacon Resort- What's the Real Scoop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,<BR><BR>After doing a search and reading all the posts about Tabacon, I am hoping to get more specific information about the resort.<BR><BR>Are the rooms nice? Would the springs be fun for a six year old? How hot are they? Are there good resteraunts in town? Would it be extremely busy on Christmas Eve and Day?<BR><BR>We are in the early planning stages of our trip to Costa Rica. I thought that the Tabacon would be a nice place to stay for a couple of night before heading over to Malpias for a week or so of surfing and body boarding. We might be there over Christmas; so that puts a bit more pressure on me to make sure it is just right. <BR><BR>Thank You,<BR>Gem
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 07:23 AM
Iza

Sorry, can't help you with the Tabacon Hotel (we stayed at Arenal Paraiso) but would like to comment on the Tabacon hot springs themselves. Our daughter was 7 when we visited the hot springs and she loved them. The water temperature varies from pool to pool and from spring to spring, some are quite hot but most are just pleasantly warm. There are plenty of natural springs and pools, and there are also man made pools. Our daughter loved the big pool with the water slide and the swim up bar. Water shoes or teva sandals are a must for the springs and pools that were left in their natural forms.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 09:31 AM

Rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. I'd compare them to a AAA 3 star. Our kids really liked the nice cable TV after nine days without. Included breakfast buffet is very good. Nice swimming pool with great view of the Volcano. Some rooms also have volcano views, but most at least partially blocked by those pesky trees. <BR><BR>The hot spings/pools vary in temperature from the low/mid nineties to around 105ºF. The swimming pool I would guess is around 95ºF. Our older son (13) loved the hot springs, our younger (10) thought them too hot, but loved the pool and slide Iza mentions.<BR><BR>There are two overpriced restaurants on site. Town is a fair distance away, there are other places to eat closer by though. Make sure you book early. We had trouble getting a room last August (low season) booking five months ahead. The springs were fairly crowded then. Lodge guests are allowed in early when it is quiet and peaceful.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM

I'm guessing that few others have been to the &quot;other&quot; more family-friendly area of Tabacon. When I was there in September, I happened to notice a busload of people disembarking just down the road from the main entrance of the Tabacon Spa. So I walked the short distance down there (maybe 500 feet or so and across the road). It appears to be an area of the hot springs that is more often used by the locals. After walking down a path, it has its' own entrance --- as a guest at the Tabacon Resort &amp; having my wrist band on, I walked on in. The pools are shallower, and water temps a bit cooler. This section does NOT have the restaurants like the main area; do have picnic tables. And it appeared many folks were bringing in their own stuff to have a fun afternoon.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:37 PM

Tabacon is a lovely place. If you stay there the entrance to the pools are included. If you stay elsewhere you could think about the less expensive springs across the street. No slide though. Make your reservations soon.<BR><BR>There is an excellent restaurant between Montana del Fuego and Arenal Paraiso called El Novillo (they are on the road between Tabacon and La Fortuna). It doesn't look like much and the tables and chairs are all outside but the food is excellent and in just the right spot at this time for watching the volcano at night.<BR><BR>For DaveS.....July and August are not really considered low season in a lot of places. Just didn't want you to expect lower prices during that time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:39 AM

What does everyone think...if money is not an object, what is the nicest, best place to stay around Tobacon? I need to make my reservation now for Sept. and I'm second guessing Tobacon Resort!