Notices

Strange question about Tabacon

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange question about Tabacon

I know the springs are natural hot springs. I also hear that they are frequented by loads of people. Are the springs treated with any sorts of chlorine or chemicals like a resort would treat a hot tub? Is the issue of sanitary a concern in hot springs like Tabacon? My mind goes to so many people of all ages, probably toddlers in diapers also using the springs. Is it a problem?
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Interesting question, Juldie.

We've been there twice, and I really never thought about that. Everyone is supposed to shower first, of course. . .!

With 102 temps, you really don't see young children and toddlers in the springs--perhaps in some of the cooler waters, but most are pretty warm. Probably the large (and also thermal) pool with the swim up bar is treated? Write Tabacon and ask them! And get back to us!
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:13 AM

I don't think they are treated. I've never gotten a whiff of chlorine, but they're so hot I imagine it would kill bacteria. There's usually a slight sulfury smell. Never seen a little kid in them -- they're too hot. The swimming pools do smell like chlorine.

Sandy
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

sandyc - the water then flows naturally from the volcano? It's not like an actual pool filled by someone with the water that comes from the volcano? If the springs are a natural phenomenon then the water must be constantly changing.

The way a lot of people refer to Tabacon as Disneylike and built up, I have been confused how natural and authentic all the springs really are. There are spa/resorts that build pools, fill them with water from springs and I just wanted to get a clear picture of how natural Tabacon is. This would impact my decision about spending time in them.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 06:30 AM

The temperatures needed to kill bacteria are 121 degrees Celsius (250 degrees Fahrenheit) which would also kill people. The water is most likely treated when it is cooled to the temperature that is pumped into the pool areas
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM

My understanding is that they are naturally fed springs. No chlorine, and didn't see any little ones in them. Some of the pools are hotter than others, some are lukewarm. The busiest of the pools is the one with the swim up bar. The actual pool at Tabacon is also spring fed, it was HOT and the hot tub was cooler than the pool! We had to sit in the hot tub to cool off from the pool. The setting at the hot springs is pretty, some being secluded from others. I wondered about the sanitary issues also, we only used the pools a couple of times and survived just fine. It's a good question for Tabacon, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say also.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:30 AM

My family and I are going in August to Tabacon hot springs. Do we need to make reservations in advance or can we just make them when we get there? We were planning on going in the evening to save money or is it worth the extra money to go there during the day?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that the water is flowing from a natural source and is not filled and drained. It does keep moving, and there are supposed to be healing minerals in the water, so chlorine would mess that up. The bottoms of the pools are volcanic rock, so I think the floor is natural -- very slippery and bumpy, so wear your Keens or water shoes of some kind. The sides of the pools seem shaped, so I think they created various pools for the water to "pool" into instead of flowing all over the place. The water is definitely not stagnant. I'm funny about germs and don't sit in hot tubs in gyms, but I was very comfortable at Tabacon.

Sandy
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:42 PM

melissa, I don't think you'll need reservations in August--should be a bit slower by then after the July busy-ness.

Juldie, there HAVE been a lot of comments about Tabacon, crowds, "Disney-ish", etc. Rest assured it is a gorgeous place. I wouldn't care for huge crowds either, but we have been lucky both times that it wasn't at all that way. That was 3 years ago, however, and business has picked up!

You'll have to check to see if this works still, but we were able to buy admission, go in the late morning, and return with the same bracelet at night. I'd hate to miss seeing it clearly in the daytime, but it was a lot of fun at night as well.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:23 AM

I agree, it wasn't disneylandish. It was busy for sure, but we were there over Easter. The other hot springs around la fortuna were very busy also. We enjoyed the pools. There are alot of pools to choose from, if one seems busy, just keep going and you'll find one that isn't.