Search

Side trips from Ixtapa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side trips from Ixtapa?

My husband and I will be going to Ixtapa for our first time on March 1st for a week and are wondering what, if any, recommendations you have for any side excursions. We are not renting a car while we are there, as we figured we could take taxis locally and have our concierge help us with transportation/tour outfits for anywhere else. Any thoughts or "must-dos"? Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Anyone...?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:05 AM

To the best of my knowledge there is very little in the way of side trips out of Ixtapa. Certainly nothing you need a car for. You can take a boat to the little beach across from Zihuatenejo town (can't remember the name, something to do with cats) or take a taxi into Z for shopping or dinner. But it's pretty much jungle all around.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Does this mean that places like Acapulco, Taxco or Cuernavaca are virtually out of reach, i.e. too far for a day trip? Has anyone ventured out to these places from Ixtapa for a day? Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:27 PM
eb

We've been to Ixtapa twice but it was several years ago so I would imagine it's a little more commercial than it was then. We loved walking from Ixtapa to Zihuatenejo (mostly along the beach.) Did this several times. Very friendly people, great (cheap) food, etc. It may have changed since then, but we enjoyed it. I do hope Ixtapa has "modernized" since then, which I'm sure it has. We stayed at what was then one of the nicer resorts, and it could have used a little refurbishing. I don't think it would be practical to try to go as far as Acapulco. Don't know about the other two places you named - heard of them, but haven't looked at a map.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:30 PM

margot55, I assume someone will correct me if I am wrong, but yes, Taxco, Cuernavaca, and Acapulco are all too far for a day trip. It may not look so far on the map, but Ixtapa is a somewhat isolated coastal town surrounded by jungle. The roads in and out are not freeways. <BR><BR>Acapulco is probably the most do-able of these destinations. I suppose it also depends on how many hours you are willing to drive on a &quot;day trip&quot;. Hey, it's only a week -- relax a little! If you are the sort of people who don't like to just hang out on a beach and read books, then Ixtapa is probably not the best destination for you.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Au contraire, Marilyn, we love the veg-out-on-a-beach thing, but we also like to explore, but if there's not much exploring to do outside Ixtapa, then so be it! Thanks for your replies, and I'm still &quot;listening&quot; if anyone else has any other thoughts or ideas!
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 10:05 AM

Hi Margot<BR>I was in Ixtapa last December (2001). The tourist strip (with all the hotels) are beautiful. The street is separated by a stretch of islands with palm trees. They have made this place very pretty. We went to this Island for a day. Small island - 90% are locals. There you just lay on the beach, there's a few restaurants - all on the beach. I'm sorry, I don't know what the island is called but I got it as a package from the hotel. What out for people selling time-share. They will first tell you about this fabulous hotel, they will take you there, use all the amenities, etc. and expect you to put money down for time share. I was fooled into it!<BR><BR>Zuatenajo(spelling?) is just a 10 minute ride, it's more where locals live. But you can spend a day at the beach there (It was on a front cover of Sports Illustrated swim suit issue), long stretch of beach with wonderful restaurants. <BR><BR>Ixtapa is very fun, very friendly (all of Mexico seems to be), and very safe around the tourist zone. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Emma! Sounds like we should plan on just hanging our hats in Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo and not look to venture anywhere else. We're not worried about time share salespeople - been there and done that. We own 3 weeks in Hawaii, and in fact, the reason we're going to Ixtapa is because we're using 1 week of time share exchange (staying at the Melia Azul). Anyhow, thanks for all of your thoughtful replies, and &quot;I'll keep leaving the light on&quot; for more!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 10:28 AM

Hi, I just wanted to correct some of the information you have been hearing. There are in fact many side trips you can take from Ixtapa and Aculplco is one of them. People at your hotel can usually arrange these for you. I believe the island they are talking about is Isla Ixtapa. You can also go to Petalan, Barro do Potosi and the list goes on. You may also be content staying right where you are. I just thought you should be informed correctly. Have a great trip
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Muchas gracias, erinjone, for your thoughtful reply! I was afraid my question had hit the wall, so to speak, so I appreciate your addendum to what had previously been posted. We will probably check with our concierge on what might be do-able and worth it as far as venturing outside of Ixtapa. By the way...has anyone stayed at the Melia Azul Ixtapa, and if so, what was your experience?