Reload this Page >

partial itinerary help: beach, gulet, troy/gallopoli

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some help needed for an upcoming trip to turkey in early-september:

1) beach + sites: trying to find a beach that also has other things to do besides sunbathing (no shopping please). so far, we're deciding between bodrum and fethiye. according to me research thus far, bodrum doesn't seem to have anything else except shopping and nightlife, as fethiye has the lycian tombs. but i can't seem to figure out if 1-day gulet are even available at fethiye. other beach locations that you would recommend?

2) we're going to ephesus and pergamum. okay to skip troy and gallopoli?

thank you for all your help!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:57 AM

While in Ephesus try to stay overnight in Sirince, you can as well day trip to Prienne Didyma, Miletus as great sites to visit.
Beachvise Fethiye is better but to crowded and a lot of beer lots around ! However you can still find some hidden places. Going further to Kalkan and Kas would be better if you are not looking for sandy beaches. These places are also on the hearth of Lycia and full of opportunites for day trips and hiring a day gulet is piece of cake.
Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:28 PM

hi, got back from turkey in early june. stayed in Sirince, as murat recommended on his post, and did a gulet trip out of Fethiye.

i was somewhat disappointed with Sirince. I thought it was going to be quaint and charming and untouched.

instead, when we arrived it was swarming with tourists and tour buses (probably a stop on the Ephesus tour). there are stall after stall of touristy tchotchkes--plus wine shops selling the sweet flavored wines from the area.

that said, i would stay there again because we had lovely accommodations--our own little house--just up the hill at Nisanyan Hotel.

also, it is possible to avoid the wall-to-wall tourist scene and enjoy yourself if you can to arrange your visit to the town before 11am or after 5pm. we had a really delicious dinner at a rooftop restaurant in town (something "Han?"). the only other people there were a large Turkish family who were also visiting, staying out late like us.

btw, you also mentioned Ephesus. We liked Aphrodisias a little better so you might think about that too. i've also heard great things about prienne, didyma, etc. (as murat mentions) as well. less touristy.

as for fethiye, i'd say get out of town ASAP. the tomb is cool, but you can do that in 20minutes. you can walk up the hill or hire a taxi and walk down the hill. Fethiye is also a good place for checking email, hitting the ATM, getting groceries, getting a good meal, mailing postcards, that sort of thing.

getting on a gulet is the best way to see the sights, i think. (you can drive around, but who wants to be stuck in a car!) i did a 3-day 3-night trip with Before Lunch and my friends did a 1-night 2-day trip with Compass. there were good things and bad things about each of these operations. (And, I can go into that more, if you want more specific info).

there are also many many many gulet companies who do day tours, but you should definitely make sure you know what you are getting into. a lot of the boats are booze cruises and, to my way of thinking, the boats didnt look half as nice as overnighter boats. i'm not even sure some of the day boats were gulets; they looked more like gulets to me.

(FYI: If you have a group, you might consider chartering a gulet for a day and setting your own itinerary.)

You should also know that gulets don't sail. the captains pretty much take you nice places, but as far as i can tell (mind you, based only on my experiences and the experiences of my friends), they don't see themselves as "tour guides." it's up to you to figure things out.

boats supply some snorkeling gear, but it isn't always in the best of shape and there isnt always enough to go around. if you really like snorkeling, bring your own (i did, and was much happier). also, there honestly wasnt much to see. the mediterranean is pretty grey, but the water is a nice way to cool off.

So some specifics...Based on what my friends told me, i think my trip on Before Lunch was better, i.e. more interesting in terms of what we saw and did. Their trip on Compass was the "12-islands." they didnt really get off the boat much, they mainly moored in various scenic coves.

my trip on Before Lunch included stops at Kayakoy (the Greek "ghost town"), Butterfly Valley/Waterfall, Gemiler Island several times, St. Nicholas ruins, and Ouldeniz (we moored in a cove there and swam, but did not go to the beach itself).

we did a lot of hiking. it's pretty much up to you as to how much you want to do. it's also up to you to find the trails and figure out the sights. you climb around at your own risk, of course, but it is a lot of fun.

i know the info above is kind of random. but, if you have any questions, dont hesitate to let me know.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM

oops....a correction...what i mean to say above:

"I'm not even sure some of the day boats were gulets; they looked more like FERRIES to me."
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:43 AM

Can you give me an idea of cost for a 1 night 2day trip? How did you select the company? Did you do it ahead from home? Would you do it again? I have sent a couple of e-mails to some charter boat companies and have gotten no reply. I am searching old threads now for information. Thank you.
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:55 AM

If you can not get the answers on goulette pls. let me know.
Best regards,
Murat
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM

Have you considered Antalya for your beach resort? It's within easy reach of a number of impressive archaeological sites (eg Perge, Aspendos, etc), and there's a very good archaeological museum in the town itself.

Yes, I'd skip Gallipoli inless you're specially interested in WW1, and Troy disappoints many people (I liked it myself, but it's certainly not as spectacular as the remains of many of the Hellenistic cities). I agree Aphrodisias is lovely - Ephesus is interesting, but gets horribly crowded especially when cruise ships are docked at Kusadasi.

The snag with sightseeing by gulet is, obviously, that you don't get to explore inland.