SANSA or Nature Air ?

Nov 16th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

SANSA or Nature Air ?

When flying from SJO to Quepos, which one should I chose?
Do both leave from SJO Int'l Airport?
I read about weight restrictions regarding luggage, 25 lbs. per person, and you can pay for extra weight. Does anybody know how much they charge?
Thanks!
Nov 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Sansa leaves from the international airport . Nature Air leaves from the airport in Pavas , not far away . You should be able to get the cost of extra weight from their websites .... I have flown both domestic airlines in the past , with no problems . We had our children with us the last trip so we used Nature Air which had a slightly better safety record . But we had no problems in the past with Sansa , and it is widely used by people here with positive results .
Nov 16th, 2005, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, faithie, I doubt that we have time to go to another airport after arrival at SJO. If our flight lands on time, we would have 2 h 45 min to get on the SANSA flight. Do you think that's enough going through immigration and customs?
Nov 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM

That should give you enough time . Normally it takes about 1 hour . There is always the " You never Know " factor !!! But technically you should be o.k.
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:52 AM

2 hours 45 mins should give you enough time. I would stick with Sansa, as Nature Air from Pavas is normally about a 45 min drive from SJO. Remember that you are required to be at Sansa 45 mins prior to flight.

I have no idea what the charge is, as we always stay under the 25 lbs. Keep in mind that if the flight is full and your luggage overweight, then your luggage may not fly on the same plane as you.

Naturally if you can fly with carry on only, then you will get through SJO much faster.

I have found that by avoiding traveling with a rolling bag, I can more easily keep the luggage weight down. It is amazing how heavy those rolling bags are! And don't overpack for CR, it really is a very casual destination.
Nov 16th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Ditto what dfarmer said! Those rolling bags can take up almost half your allowance, not to mention with the endless supply of hills, stairs, bumps in CR a duffle is so much easier to handle. And ditto on casual clothes too, t-shirts, shorts, cargo-like pants, sandals, tennis shoes, etc is what everyone else pretty much has on.

Also, keep in mind the 25 lb limit on Sansa isn't arbitrary, it's for your safety - these are not big planes! You can overpack but just keep in mind if it's a full flight they might put your bags on a later flight. I am a reformed overpacker and trust me, 25 lbs will cover plenty of clothes!
Nov 16th, 2005, 12:24 PM

And keep in mind that 'your luggage going on the next flight' may very well not be until the next day. Much easier to just stay under 25 pounds. Although Sansa somehow managed to lose our luggage on our flight between San Jose and Palmar Sur. We were wearing our heaviest clothes, it was darn hot in the Osa for 24 hours waiting for our luggage......
Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM

ttt
Nov 22nd, 2005, 03:39 PM

Did anyone mention that Sansa is not right in the same terminal as the Int'l airport? You have to go out and around the corner to get to the Sansa airport....easily within walking distance. You can pay for extra, but I don't know what you do if the flight is totally booked. I was shocked at how much luggage some people brought! The fee is not a big amount, but better to try to stay under 25#. You will be rinsing out your favorite things anyway, so only bring those.
Dec 6th, 2005, 11:17 AM

the fee for luggage over 25 pounds was only 55 cents per pound! but i agree--always better to travel as light as possible! we try to find one place to do laundry about 2/3 way through our trips.

Search this Thread