Riu Palace or Iberostar Quetzal?

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riu Palace or Iberostar Quetzal?

Would like to try an AI this June (we usually stay at non-AI resorts) and have read many good reviews on both Riu Palace and Iberostar Quetzal. Would appreciate any feedback on either. Both seem to have good beaches, but was wondering if both have the "traditional" hard beds or if one had better bedding. Also would like to know how food is at both. Thanks for your help! We're 50, so more interested in diving and snorkeling than nightlife (been there, done that!).
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:48 PM

I've been to 2 rui resorts and seen them all in cancun/rivera maya. I haven't been in the other one. rui resorts are nice, the palace americas in cancun is beautiful, best time ever, beach are long and beautiful, service excellent, food alot. both rui palaces are worthy, so is the rui yucatan but alittle cheaper but not the other one. i love rui 5/6 star. pampered like you were rich and you feel like too. the americas is in the seven of cancun and across the street is the best philly steak subs ,all the meat and dairy are shipped in from us
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:50 PM

sry 2003 and 2004 and its a good buy also check out rui.com for prices too
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I can't comment on the Iberostar, but the RIU Palace PDC is awesome. The hotel grounds, staff, pool and beach are all wonderful. AI's aren't known for their great food, but I think this hotel has about the best you can expect. Drinks are great too (more imported liquor than a cheaper AI would offer).

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Just walking past, the Riu looked nicer to me...more upscale. They are just up the street from one another.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM

The Riu Palace in Playa del Carmen is just beautiful. The food is great,especially don julian buffet-we never tired of it. The specialty restuarants were very good too. The workers are gracious, the beach is wonderful and if you ask you get top shelf alcohol. The bed (we had a king) was 2 full size beds pushed together, but it was no problem and it was actually comfortable. We went to Cozumel for snorkeling the water was very choppy that day and the current was very strong. We are both in our fifties (yikes!!) as well. We loved the Palace and would go back there in a heart beat.