Rio or Buenos Aires for my vacation?

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rio or Buenos Aires for my vacation?

I was going to visit Buenos Aires at the end of May for my semi-annual vacation. All my friends and business associates are telling me that Rio would be a better choice. I am looking for the exotic, atmosphere, and people watching. Which city should I choose? Thanks for your observations.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 09:57 PM

That's a tough one. I've been to Rio in the past and loved it. But I also hear that Buenos Aires is outstanding! Hard choice. I hear that Buenos Aires is a real bargain now. I have a friend that lives there and she can help you if you'd like(meaning tell you lots about BA). How long are you going for?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:14 AM

I have never been to BA but I have been to Rio over 40 times. I just got back 1 week ago and even though I have been there over 40 times I had the best vacation I have ever had in my life. It's cheap, the food is great, the scenery is the most beautifull in the world, it has beaches, great people watching and the partying is insane. Thats Rio for me, everybody sees it in a different way and does it in a different way, I can't wait to get back.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:58 AM

I think you might enjoy Rio. The Brazilians are very friendly. Your dollar would go a long way.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 08:31 AM

Dear Thingorjus
Both countries are a bargain & with all the publicity about how bad things are economically in Buenos Aires-things are cheap there I hear. Go-today.com is advertising with round trip airfare on United to Buenos Aires plus 6 nights in downtown hotel with city tour for $599
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have been to Rio, about 7 years ago. It was a business trip, so I didn't get to see to much. I liked going to Ipanema Beach and I took a helicopter tour over the city. However, since I have never been to BA, I have nothing to compare it to. I think BA would have more cultural offerings and I would love to see Recoleta Cemetary. It is a tough choice, especially when those around you are trying to influence that choice.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM

Hi Thingorjus ,

If you need more info on B Aires let me know.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:07 PM

I don't know how much time you are taking for vacation, but if you are staying a few weeks why not go to both... Last October, I did just that with a stop for a few days at Iguacu Falls (awesome, by the way). I think both Rio and BA are great places to visit. If you are looking for a more "exotic" atmosphere and people watching - definitely Rio (especially if you're single...). I think BA is a more of a cultural destination, Recoleta cemetary is a must see along with the Sunday market in San Telmo. With that said, I'm heading back to Brazil tomorrow for a couple weeks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Patty, I would LOVE info. on Buenos Aires. I am going to BA for one week. I love museums, art galleries, antiques, architecture, people watching. Thanks. I don't want to go to both BA and Rio. I have travelled all over the world and have learned to concentrate on just one place at a time. How long is the flight from Miami to BA????
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:00 AM

Hi Thingorjus (Love your nick, BTW)

I'm also looking into trips to BA, Rio or maybe both ;-) I have a good amount of play time, but haven't sketched out a itinerary. If you find out anything interesting, would you post it? I'll be flying in/out of Atlanta so will likely connect thru MIA

At any rate, I think the flight is about 9 hours or so....

Debbie

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:08 AM

If that's what you want, then GO to BA. Have a nice dinner in Las Lilas, great restaurant in a zone called La Costanera. Go on sunday to the antique's area San Telmo and see the tango dancers in the plaza, walk in Caminito. You can have a walk in Florida Street in the down town and buy really good cashemere sweaters, scarfs and skirts (always try to get cheaper prices, they will give it to you !!). Go to Palermo area, palermo soho and palermo hollywood: great restaurants, cafes, a lot of young people, don't miss the pizza baked in stone,mmmhhhh. Have a coffee around 5 or 6, and then wait for the dinner around 9, then go to dance!!! Don't do the shopping in the malls in the down town, it's more expensive than in the other malls. Also go to La Recoleta, they have all the time exhibitions of local and international artists. On sunday they also have a flea market around. And go to the Delta del Guarana, also great restaurants and excellent view !!! Hope you enjoy it.
PD: now there are certain degree of insecurity, but just grab your camera and purse...don't worry !!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone heard of the restaurant, Olsen?? It is supposed to be very trendy and expensive. I would love to have dinner there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:03 PM

my e-mail: [email protected]
Put latin america so I don't delete
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:28 PM

Hi there..... both have good restaurants,and people are nice,its a hard choice..brazilians have carnaval,and arg. have tango..if you want an european city..go to Buenos Aires..but if you want a place to have fun and beautiful landscapes...go to Rio

have fun
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I'm in the same boat. My wife and I have a week and WERE trying to decide which city to see.

Argentina has no visa requirements. Brizil charges $110 per person. $220 or a short trip is excessive. We'll be in BA at the end of May.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:36 AM

My wife and I have been to Argentina twice this year. Once in January and once in March. It is a spectacular country and we are planning several more trips to see this vast country.

We have used Mayra at Argentinago.com both times to arrange in-country flights, guided tours, tour to Colonia, Uraguay etc and she in FANTASTIC!! Her email is [email protected].

We found her because other Fodorites recommended here on these boards....Thanks!!