Search

Quinta Maria Cortez - Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
EBZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quinta Maria Cortez - Puerto Vallarta

We are looking into staying here in February 2006 for our 10th Wedding anniversary and I would like some feedback. It is worth the extra money?

Are other less expensive suggestions?

We are to be centrally located.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It is one of the most unique properties in PV, I think. I have only visited friends who were staying there, and had a tour (not stayed there myself). It is located south of Playa Los Muertos, right on the beach but a bit of a hike from "centrally located" to my mind. It is an amazing place but I'm not sure as to "worth the extra money". The pool is teeny weeny.

There are loads of less expensive places but I'm guessing some I would normally suggest might be a bit too basic for a celebration trip.

Take a look at www.casa-andrea.com which offers 10 lovely "casita" style apartments rented by the week for a less expensive but still very nice and special property.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

Suze,

Thanks for the response. WHat do you think of Hotel Tropicana? Casa Andrea looks really nice but we really want to be on the beach?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I haven't stayed there but people seem to like it well enough. But it is definitely not in the same class as Quinta Maria, that's for sure!

I guess I would call Tropicana on the high-end of the budget hotels. Be sure to get an ocean front room, on the true beach side of the hotel, any of the other 3 sides and I think you'd be overlooking a street or at the hotels next door.

Molino de Agua is another you might want to consider. It's right on the beach and barely south of the river, a large walled property (old mango grove) with two large pools. Popular with Mexican and European families as well as US/Canadian tourists. Again there's only one row of rooms that is true ocean front (not peek-a-boo ocean view).

Casa Andrea's (if it matters) is just one block in from the beach right behind the pier on Los Muertos.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:59 PM

www.molinodeagua.com
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

We are now looking at Playa Los Arcos, Casa Isabel or Tropicana.

Any feedback on these would be great.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

Sorry what I meant to say is we are considering either Playa Los Arcos, Casa Andrea or Tropicana.

Any feedback on these hotels?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:19 PM

My first choice would be Casa Andrea if you can get a reservation because it is unique, a quiet oasis in the heart of the hub-bub. Kind of like staying in a relative's home, you get a key to the gate, there's no front desk per se. Also I enjoy having a kitchen and the pool area/courtyard is beautiful. It's a bit quirky about payment (no charge cards, deposit required).

Second, Tropicana because PV people I trust like it fine and recommend it often. Also better if you are more comfortable with a normal hotel instead of a B&B feel like Andrea's.

Playa Los Arcos is OK but the most "touristy" of the lot, noisy (from the pool, the beach, the bar area) and rooms are different one from the other (street side ones are known to be small and dark).

Not familiar with Casa Isabela.

Anyone else who's reading, please join in - i don't mean to monopolize the conversation!!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Casa Isabella looks really nice online...I've thought about it for my next trip, but would love to hear any fodorites opinions...and I don't really trust tripadvisor.com when it comes to b&bs...
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM

We stayed at Quinta Maria Cortez in October for our 2nd anniversary. It is a fantastic alternative to resort properties, very quiet yet convenient, well appointed with a lot of extras. Its extrememly quaint, with great rooms, and an opportunity to get to know your fellow guests. Breakfast is served every morning at the Palapa covered outdoor dining room. We thought it was a great time to meet other guests, have great food, and talk about good things to see and do. We got great recommendations from the other guests, many of whom were returning to Quinta Maria for the 4th or 5th time.

This really isnt the place to stay if you are looking for the typical hotel style vacation. Besides breakfast there are no other places to eat close by, so you will need to either walk along beaches and take a quick hike up a hill to get to town or take a cab. Its a beautiful walk and an inexpensive cab ride.

The rooms are big with many different ammenities that you dont get at other hotels: stocked refrigeratior with beer, sodas and bottled water. A blender, Margarita mix, salt etc.. The room we stayed in had a huge tub that fit two very comfortably!

Anyway, we loved it, and are planning our next trip back!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:02 AM

great report! thanks for posting.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I love the Tropicana, and hate Los Arcos, but for a 10th anniversary, I think I would go for something special like the Casa Andrea or the Maria Cortez. The Tropicana is well-located, on the beach, with a nice pool area, but it's just not particularly romantic. Los Arcos is, well, I can still remember the noise and the smell of mold.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM

topping for drof's honeymoon