Presidente Cozumel Questions

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Presidente Cozumel Questions

We are going to Cozumel for part of our HM in November. Right now, we have an oceanview room booked.....to upgrade to beachfront will be another $800

Does this sound outrageous? Is it worth it? Has anyone seen both room? What are the chances of being upgraded when we arrive?

Thanks for your help!!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM

If your oceanview room is the one I'm thinking of, I wouldn't pay the extra. We stayed in the same 2 story building that had the beachfront rooms (on ground floor) last November but our room was on the second floor.
I don't remember for sure if they called our category of room oceanview...the most definitive way to be sure which one you have is to ask if your room is in the 2 story building or the high-rise.

We asked at check-in about the upgrade and were told an additional $750 for the week. We looked at both types of rooms...they were identical except the ground floor beachfront rooms had access from the room's patio directly onto the sand in front of the room. The 2nd floor rooms had a large balcony instead of a patio and you have to walk to the end of the building and go down 1 flight of stairs to get on the sand.

We decided that we could walk the one flight and save $750. I think you have better views from the second floor and to be honest, the patios, while large, weren't all that attractive. They had concrete walls. The hotel has a third wing with the really luxe rooms (I think they are called reef rooms or suites) which did look really nice but I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg.

By the way, if you haven't already, considering joining InterConti's freq guest program - the Ambassador Club. It's a bit pricey at $150 membership but you get a certificate for a free weekend night as long as you stay 2 nights which offsets the price of joining. Once you are a member, you get a free room upgrade plus other little goodies, like fruit baskets, and free coffee every morning delivered to your room. If you go on their website you can read all the details.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Presidente and the people in Cozumel are so genuine and pleasant...it was a pleasure visiting that island.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Hello, There are basically four areas in which you can get rooms at the Presidente.

The garden view rooms - in the bottom of the tower and in the back and sides of one of the two story wings, the oceanview rooms - which are in the five story tower, the oceanfront - which are upstairs in the two two-story wings, and the beachfront deluxe - which are downstairs in the two story wings. There are also (ten?) reef rooms along the front of one of the two story wings.

We have been going to the Presidente every year for ten years and have stayed in all of the rooms at least once - including the reef suites.

imho, you are in the rooms for so little time, I would never pay that much for an upgrade, but my favorite rooms in the hotel (besides the Reef rooms which we got on two occasions as a special perk for coming so often is the oceanfront.

ALL of the rooms (except for the suites) are very similar, and the only rooms I did not care for were the rooms in the tower.

The rooms on the ground floor have nice spacious terraces, and the rooms on the 2nd floor are a little quieter due to the tile floors and having no one above you.

If you go early in Nov., the cahnces of getting a free upgrade are decent, but not likely. (It's still low season, but the hotel doesn't usually give free upgrades as a rule.) BUT, if you mention it is your honeymoon, they might make an exception.

As the other poster said, another option is to join the Ambassador's Club. The cost has gone up but for much less than you would pay for an upgrade, you get a free upgrade of one category and a cert. for a free night. It's worth it in my opinion.

Congrats!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help! This has become very confusing!!

Diana, can you tell me what you did not like about the tower rooms? I have to call my travel agent tomorrow to see...all our itinerary says is 'oceanview', so is that automatically the tower?
I suppose we can always pay for the upgrade when we arrive if it is available.

One more question...if we join the Ambassadors club, from oceanview would we be upgraded to oceanfront???

Thanks again
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Hi again.

The tower rooms were noisy and darker than the other rooms. (I think the balcony railing being higher makes less light enter the room.)

There are so many of them (tower rooms) all grouped together, and the floors are tile and the halls concrete that you can hear people stomping around if there is anyone above you, and people - kids especially - as they walk to and from their rooms.

If you join the Ambassador's club you automatically go up one category, so you would go up from the tower to the oceanfront (2nd floor of the 2 story wing) rooms. If so, be sure to ask for the rooms in the left wing as you are facing the beach - much nicer and quieter also.

Be sure to ask for rooms at the end opposite the restaurant. A bit of a walk but much quieter also as the restaurant gets going EARLY!