Search

Honeymoon advice

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon advice

I am planning our honeymoon and have gotten as far as deciding to stay at the Cala Luna in Tamarindo for the first week. We are trying to figure out where to go for the second week. Have looked at the SunSet Reef Hotel, Nosara Beach Hotel, and the Tambor Trop. Resort. Will want to be surfing most days, but also want to do a canopy tour, fish for half a day, horseback riding, etc. Any recommendations on places best suited for this type of agenda would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:56 PM

For the types of activities you mention, I think Manuel Antonio area seems well suited. Fishing, canopy, horseback. South of there not too far is Dominical with good surfing, and I know there is a great horseback tour to some nearby falls. If you will research Dominical a bit, I think you will find this information. Sorry I don't have links for you.

Nosara would be a good surfing beach, of course, as well, but I think a bit limited in the other activities. Tambor is a lovely area, but a little hard to get to. No surfing there that I know of. Best surfing nearest to Tambor would be MalPais, about an hour away. Since you have an entire 2nd week at your disposal, you would certainly be able to enjoy the Manuel Antonio area and the more remote surfing area of Dominical as a plus.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:02 PM

Check out this Dominical site for horseback/waterfall info.

www.bellavista.com
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Check out this Dominical site for horseback/waterfall info.

www.bellavistalodge.com
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Ohmigosh. . .what a mess. It's

www.bellavistalodge.com

SORRY!
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Okay, here is what I know about the hotels you mention for your second week. The Sunset Reef in Mal Pais- My husband and I looked at a couple rooms here about three or 4 years ago because at that time, it was the only place that had a/c. We didn't think the rooms were worth the price. The rooms facing the ocean were pretty small and just looked a bit run down. The rooms on the other side, facing the pool were also small, (as was the pool) but also very dark. What turned us off the most was the location. This hotel is at the very end of the road on a point, not convenient to anything. The beach right in front is VERY rocky, no swimming. The little cove next to it was small, and not very nice because that is where a lot of small fishing boats are tied up. Mal-Pais is a beautiful area with great surfing, a National park nearby, fishing and horseback riding, but I don't think this is a good hotel for a honeymoon. For a little more money, Vista De Olas is better. Or, for less money, the new Oceanfront room at Tropico Latino would be much better and more convenient to other restaurants/stores in the area.
Nosara Beach Hotel.....we stayed there on our first trip to Nosara many years ago, and it was great! But we walked through the property only three weeks ago and it has gone way downhill. Whereas the landscaping used to be beautiful, it's not anymore. Besides one large area of grass that is green and lush, the rest of the plants, what little there is, is brown, dried up and not attactive at all. There is constant constuction going one and there is no services for any drinks or food. You can do much better for a hotel, but they won't have the views that Nosara Hotel has. If you can make due with hotels that don't have the view but would be nicer, check out Casa Romantica, Villa Taype (The suites, not the regular rooms, or Harbor Reef hotel. All three are very convenient to getting onto the beach. Nosara is great for surfing, fishing in nearby Garza, and there are kayak tours on the Nosara River and horseback riding on the beach, but no canopy tours.
Tambor Tropical, while I've never stayed there I heard it's nice, but the beach is not very pretty and there is no surf there. Shillmac's suggestion of Manuel Antonio is a good one, but the surf is not good there. Not that I've not seen some surfing there, but it's small to non existant, better for boogie boarding than surfing, and while the surf in Dominical is excellent (NOT for beginners) it's about at least an hour, probably closer to an hour and a half from Manuel Antonio. So if it's great surf you want, you'd be better off staying in Dominical (again, only if your an experienced surfer) or at other hotels in Mal Pais/Santa Teresa or Nosara. For your canopy tour, there is one out of Tamarindo, so you could do that while at Cala Luna.
I'm sorry about the bad reviews of the hotels, but I'm just tyring to help!
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

many thanks to both of you for the tips...other sources have indicated Malpais would be a great option....Ally, the hotel reviews are greatly appreciated...would rather know now than find out when its too late.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:03 PM

wddrson,
A big thumbs up for Tropico Latino. We stayed in that beachfront bungalow (there's only one) and thought it was just great. Beautiful view of the beach. There's not much action here (very laid back), but this is the hotel, as Ally said, that is closest to the little strip of town. There are some high end resorts about 5 minutes north up the dirt road. Flor Blanca and Milarepa. In the $150-$250 per night range. We very seldom choose to spend that much, but we walked around Flor Blanca, and it was truly beautiful. Iza, who posts on this board frequently really raves about it. Both are nice places if you want to spend more for luxury. We paid $90 per night for Trop Lat in March. I think their August rates are around $75. Be sure and request the beachfront if you decide to stay here. There is another bungalow right behind it (identical), but lacking the view. The others are in the garden area. Montezuma is a great spot to go when you feel the need for a more lively atmosphere. Kind of a funky little town and popular with the younger set! 45 minute drive from MalPais (roads are paved only part of the way). The hike to the falls is a fun thing to do as well as Cabo Blanco Reserve (closed on Tuesday). We spent a week here in March, and although it is a little difficult to get to, we are glad we went.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

shillmac, just happened to read your post to another honeymooner's re: driving...having further refined the itinerary, am curious about driving from SJ to Tamarindo then on down to Malpais...incidentally we were both quite enamored of the FlorBlanca and will def. stay there for a few nights...appreciate the heads up on Montezuma...a night, maybe 2 in a funky little town sounds good
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:12 AM

wddrson,
I'm not sure what you need to know. These are both long drives, but interesting.

San Jose to Tamarindo, about 5 hours.
You drive to Puntarenas on the Interamerican highway (#1), then north toward Liberia (same highway). About half way to Liberia, you will come to highway 18 where you make a left to travel across the new Friendship Bridge across the Rio Tempisque. There is a large gasolinera on the left and a good restaurant and soda on the right. Makes a nice rest stop. Highway 18 is a very nice new highway. On the other side, you will turn north (highway 21) and drive past Nicoya and Santa Cruz up to Belen where it will direct you toward the coast and Playa Tamarindo. Be sure and go on up to Belen. Ignore signs directing you to Tamarindo from Santa Cruz--this short cut is not paved.

Get yourself a good map (I recommend the Berndston & Berndston laminated map--order online or purchase at a Barnes & Noble).

From Tamarindo to MalPais, there are 2 options. The coastal route is not an option during the rainy season as it is impassable due to rivers that would have to be forded. You can retrace back to the Friendship Bridge, go down to Puntarenas, and take the ferry across the Gulf of Nicoya to Paquera, then drive about 1.5 hr. to MalPais. One of the other posters thought this route was ridiculous, but actually it provides you with some decent roads and the ferry ride during which you can relax and not have to be driving. About 6 hours.

OR you can skip the Friendship Bridge/Puntarenas/ferry route and just continue south from Nicoya on Highway 21 down to Paquera on land, then on to MalPais. Disadvantage: the roads deteriorate badly about 30km north of Paquera. You MIGHT save 30 minutes going this way. We've done both. The ferry ride is rather enjoyable--something different in your adventure.

If you choose to take the ferry, you will want to check on the schedule. It changes often, it seems. It leaves about 4 times a day. In March, there was a 10:30 a.m. departure. You will want to be there to purchase your tickets and get in line about 30 minutes ahead of departure time. You can check the schedule at www.nicoyapeninsula.com You will buy a ticket for your vehicle (which includes driver) and another ticket for each passenger (passengers walk on). Driver parks car below, then joins passengers above deck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

very helpful shillmac(wanted some affirmation that we were not nuts for considering driving)...is the drive from SJ to Tamarindo worth it? or should we fly? ...we are adventurous...we'll be there the last week of Nov./1st week of Dec....so wasn't sure what to expect in terms of road conditions once we moved slightly off the beaten path (if indeed we need to)
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM

The drive over the mountains from San Jose to Tamarindo is quite beautiful. You may think you are traveling off the beaten path, but really you won't be too much. You will have plenty of time, and for that reason, I would really recommend driving. Especially given your spirit of adventure!

Even from Tamarindo to MalPais, it isn't a big deal--and if you choose to take the ferry from Puntarenas, you definitely won't be off the beaten path too much. If you decide to drive south from Nicoya down the east side of the peninsula, you'll be a little more off the beaten path, but it certainly won't be a problem for you. The ferry ride does give you a nice break from a long drive, however. I'd recommend this method without hesitation.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:16 PM

By the way, as to road conditions: The Interamerican highway is decent. It winds quite a bit as it traverses the mountains, there are a few potholes, but the roads in general are no worse than some of the country (paved) roads in rural parts of the U.S.

The main thing you will notice is that there aren't any shoulders, so you encounter at times people, livestock, and bicycles at the edges of the road. This is the reason it is not advisable to drive at night. You will be able to drive from 60-90km per hour on this highway (that's about 40-55 miles per hour).

Most of the roads in the Nicoya Peninsula are decent as well. All are paved with the exception of some of the roads leading to a few of the more remote coastal areas and occasional stretches down toward and on the southern end of the peninsula.

It's all a matter of perspective. If you live in an area where your only travel is on superhighways and freeways, these roads may come as a bit of a shock. But if you are from the midwest and some of the more rural areas of America, it won't seem quite so challenging!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM

wddrson - if you are still looking for a few nights at another location, you may want to consider Peace Lodge by La Paz waterfalls. I will be staying there one night on June 30th & only found out about it through this message board - didn't see it listed anywhere in any review guides. It looks absolutely amazing - especially for a honeymoon. And, based on its location, it would be a great stop for your 1st or last two nights in CR. Here is a link to the site:
http://www.waterfallgardens.com/lapaz-peacelodge.htm
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all of the info, suggestions and tips...looks like we are pretty well set with the 1st half of the honeymoon in Tamarindo at Sueno-del Mar and Cala Luna, then heading down to Malpais/Santa Teresa to Flor Blanca and Milarepa..last thing I would love to know is the best place to rent a 4x4 in SJ...preferrably something substantial like a 4Runner....though I am not sure what is available...any thoughts?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM

We have had great luck with Dollar near the airport. Very reliable. First time we used them, we got a Forerunner and it was perfect. You'll need something like this for easier traveling to MalPais.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:36 AM

What time does your flight arrive....I'm just wondering if you are going to have to stay near San Jose on your first night. If so, I suggest you have the rental car delivered to your hotel. It will save you some money as there is an additional tax to pick up a car at the airport. I think Dollar will deliver to hotels, and I know Adobe does, as I've used them several times with no problems.