Honeymoon help!

Jan 5th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon help!

Hi, I've read so many great forum conversations that have really helped me. I'm hoping someone can help with a few specific questions?
I am planning my honeymoon for 10 days, June 1-10. Our first stop is San Jose where we will stay at the Xandari Plantation for 2 nights.
After that, I am trying to figure out the best places to go. I'm thinking:

Day 3&4 - Arenal Volcano
Day 5&6 - Manuel Antonio and/orMonteverde Cloud forest
Is that enough time to do both?? If I had to pick one, which would you suggest??
Day 7, 8 &9- Beach somewhere.I've heard Tamarindo is great? What beached would you suggest?

We will be driving a 4x4 everywhere.

I wouls love any reply's or suggestions anyone would have. It will be our first time to Costa Rica and we are so excited!!

Thank you
Jan 5th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

I've changed a couple things.

Day 1&2 - Xandari Plantation
Day 3 - Peace Lodge - La Paz Waterfalls
Day 4&5 - Arenal Lodge - Arenal Volcano

I am trying to figure out the rest of our honeymoon. I would love to make it to the carribean ocean, but that may be too far of a drive. Unless it is scenic, then it could be really fun.?.

Will I regret not seeing Manuel Antonio and Monteverde Cloud Forest?

Thanks
Jan 6th, 2004, 06:09 AM

I think the carribean side will be much more rainy in June than the northern or even cental Pacific Ocean so if it were me I'd save that for another trip in the dry season.
My first question is why two nights at the beginning of the trip at Xandari? Unless you are getting in very late on the first night, I would only stay one night there at the beginning. Maybe you could use that extra night to stay in Monteverde for a night? For your 'beach' vacation I'd be interested in what your looking for. Samara/Nosara area have beautiful beaches, but VERY laid back and not much to do at night and not a lot of 'tourist' things do do, while Tamarindo is much more visited, is a much bigger 'town' so a bit more to do. The area around Manuel Antonio is much prettier (Lush and Green) but that is because it gets more rain than the northern area. But, Manuel Antonio also has even more activities than Tamarindo.
Jan 6th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Ally,
Thanks for the response. I decided to stay at Xandari for 2 days because of the overwhelming positive reviews it recieved. I was thinking that for the beginning of a honeymoon, it sounded like a great place.
But, do you think Montverde and Manuel Antonio are a 'must see'.

Thank you for the info on the carribean being a little rainy. That would have been a disappointment. For a beach vacation, I think we are looking to relax, somewhere beautiful. Are these places too far to drive to from Manuel Antonio or Monteverde?

Thank you
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Personally, I think Manuel Antonio area is a must see. It's beautiful and there is so much to do in the area. But keep in mind that there are no hotels 'on' the beach there. They are all in the 'hills' overlooking the ocean and have beautiful views. There is a much better chance of seeing wildlife in the area of Manuel Antonio. Many of the hotels in the area have monkeys living nearby or on their properties, which you can't say for many hotels in Tamarindo. And of course, MA has the fantastic park for viewing lots of other critters. Also, MA is a shorter drive back to San Jose than Tamarindo.
But, if being in a hotel 'on' the beach is important to you, Tamarindo would be better, and it will probably be a little dryer. You would probably not get rain all day/everyday in MA, but could get more afternoon showers than Tamarindo.
As for Monteverde, well, it depends on what you like. It is not easy to get to, and to see most of the animals you'd need to take a guided tour in the early morning. Monteverde is really a bird watchers haven, but many just love it for the 'forest' itself, things like the huge ferns hanging from trees, etc. So that is a tough call for me to make!
Jan 6th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Ally,

It sounds like Manuel Antonio may be the better choice. Although, I was investigating Tamarindo and one thing I may consider, if we choose to go there, it is an inexpensive flight back to San Jose.
I would like to avoid rain though.
Thank you so much for your help.
Jan 6th, 2004, 11:50 AM

From what I've read on this board, it seems like rain in most of Costa Rica is unavoidable. But remember, rain helps keep everything green and beautiful. As long as it doesn't rain all day everday, its a good thing. Have fun on your honeymoon.
Jan 6th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I dont mind a little rain.
In your opnion, if I am going from Monteverde to a beach for a few days, which one would you choose? So far I am thinking Manuel Antonio sounds great. We would be staying at La Mansion Inn. Heard anything about this place?
Jan 8th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Spent honeymoon in CR last spring (last week of May) and only had sporatic rain (only once during the day). Our itenary was

Day 1: Finca Rosa Blanca Inn
Day 2-5: Hotel Punta Islita
Day 6: Tabacon Resort

None of places are cheap but were absolutely wonderful. The nothwest side (Punta Islita) recieved the least amount of rain (one day). Other than that it was great and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Jan 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I was thinking about Tabacon Resort, did you think it was worth the cost? I know one great thing is that you get free entry to the hot springs, which I am really looking forward to!

I've heard mixed reviews about it though.

Thanks