Solo Travel by Car in Brazil...

Dec 26th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Solo Travel by Car in Brazil...

Hello and Merry Christmas. I am from Greece (34 yr. old ) and plan to travel by car from Sao Paolo all the way to Belem (hopefully). If anyone knows what kind of a deal i can find in a small VW van (used but in good condition) in Sao Paolo please reply, it would help me a lot.
Also, any other suggestions i would very much appreciate. If someone has a lot of experiance in Brazil travel and thinks this is extremely difficult to achieve (or even impossible) please say so and why.
Finally, my trip will start at the beginning of March until ?.. anyone who likes the idea give me a sign...
Thank you in advance.
Dec 26th, 2003, 03:56 AM

Hello Michael. I will be most pleased to assist you, provided you forward additional information. How long will you stay in Brasil ? Are you travelling alone ? What are your preferred tourist attractions: nature - history - architecture etc ? Do you speak a little portuguese ? Bye.
Dec 26th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dilermanto for the interest. Time of stay in Brazil is not certain, i guess i'll leave when reach my goal. My main interests are the people and the music (nature too of course) since i am an amature percussionist, so mostly i will be following the rythms.!. As far as Portuguese is concerned...unfortunately no, although i have started doing some reading on my own. Thanx again!
Dec 28th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Hello Michael. I have visited Greece two times, it's a country I'm fond of. Many years ago, I and my wife drove from São Paulo to Belém, then came back home driving along our coastal roads, it took 2 months, it still is the most extraordinary voyage we ever made. But you don't speak portuguese - and present conditions of main inland road to Belém (named Belém - Brasília) are, unfortunatelly, not very good. So I strongly advise you not to drive it. On the other hand, bus lines exist everywhere in Brasil, mostly very reliable and confortable, why don't you travel by bus ? On the way up to Belém, several places are major touristic attractions. First Brasília and it's unique architecture. Then not far from Brasília, there is Parque Nacional da Chapada dos Veadeiros and Goiás (a colonial town, well restored). Up the way, and far from Brasília, there is Jalapão and Rio Araguaia. You visit Chapada dos Veadeiros and Jalapão to discover nature at its best. Rio Araguaia is famous for it's fluvial beaches and, above all, abundant fishing. Belém sits on the mouth of the mighty Amazon river, it's a city where our indian heritage permeates everything, from food to culture. Then if you are in Belém, São Luís is not far away, you should visit it, along with Parque dos Lençóis Maranhenses. If you like music/percussion and folklore, in São Luís (every june) there is Bumba-Meu Boi, an extraordinary popular manifestation I'm sure will awe you. I must also remind you of Minas Gerais and it's marvelous colonial towns (ex. Tiradentes), which could easily be visited on the way from São Paulo to Brasília. Please surf the internet and discover a lot more about all the places and names I mentioned. Bye. Dilermando
Dec 30th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Hello Dilermando. Thank you very much for all the useful information, you have been very helpful. One thing i don't understand though is why bus roads are better. Buses use different roads? Or you advised me against driving because of the language only? Please clarify this part because it is very important.
I am glad you have visited Greece and that you liked it, maybe you come again this summer for the Olympics!!
Any idea finally for prices on used VW vans? Happy New Year to you and your family. Peace.
Jan 1st, 2004, 06:36 AM

Hello,

I have never myself travelled by car from Sao Paulo to Belem, but I know that my parents did the opposite, from Manaus to Belem and from there to Brasilia....
but since there has gone some 20 or more years!

What I think is that nowadays it seems to be a little bit difficult and dangerous to do that on your own, especially when you can't speak too much portuguese...
especially in therms of security it is a risk!
If you don't want to get into risks like that, I really guess it is better to get buses from one place to another...they are cheap, safer than if you would travel alone and you will definitely meet some nice people on this journeys!

If you prefer to look for a car in SP then you can have a lookat the "used car section" here to get an idea of prices:
http://carsale.uol.com.br/carsaledll...caClassificado

At the page you simply select under "Marca" the type of car, maybe the name under "Modelo"...
under "Estado" you select Sao Paulo..
and click on "pesquisar" to search for....

Hope this can help you in any way?
If you still has questions, please just let me know and I will try to answer you!

Greetings
carioquinha
Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:36 AM

Hello Michael. I suggested buses because brazilian buses are indeed very comfortable, reliable, and not expensive. Almost every place in Brazil can be joined by bus. Even if some road is far from perfect, bus drivers are professionals who know it by heart, so it's safer than driving your own car. Language barrier will add to your difficulties if eventually your car breaks down. It's also regretable that most brazilian cities and roads are not very well gifted in terms of direction signs, so finding your way to a given place may be a little cumbersome. Remember we are discussing travel by car over an specific region: the inland/northern route Brasília - Belém. Should you be interested in driving over more developped regions (south, southeast, the northeast coast), in general, I would say you could afford it - and really enjoy it. Have you already decided on the specific places you are willing to visit ? Happy new year !
Jan 8th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again Dilermando and Carioquinha for your help. I have to tell you that my plan is still very flexible and i have taken your advise under consideration. I plan however to spend the first month in Rio (SP idea has been aborted) so that i can pick up some of the language and feel safer. As far as driving is concerned i will do it if i find a car that i can trust and i the feeling i get is the right one. The idea is to drive along the coast line and visit every town in my way. I know i will be missing much from the inland but one can't have it all. After all i must leave out places for next time . Thank you again.