Is it possible to get a decent hotel for Feb 13??

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to get a decent hotel for Feb 13??

Do to some lousy luck, I need to book for check-in (Quepos/MA area) for Feb 13 for 6 nites. The rest of the 18 days of our trip are booked (thank God)

Here's my question. I emailed 5 or 6 places last night checking for availability. Most of the requests were places mentioned here. I realize that many (if not most) will be booked. I also know sometimes CR email takes a day or maybe 2 before I usually get a response (my experience anyway)

I received ONE reply this morning for 1 villa that is left. 2 floor, kitchenette, ac, 10 minutes from the beach, jungle type setting $95.
So here's the question. How many availabilites do you think would be possible with this short notice. Would you wait a day or 2 for some more responses, or would you book the one villa that has replied?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:51 AM

Paula,
What is the name of the villa complex? If it were Villas Nicolas, for example, I would say grab it. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait until Monday to see if you get any other responses.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TA,
No it wasn't villa nicolas. I have sent 2 emails to them, and I sure wish I would have taken the availabiity when they emailed me in Nov. It would be my first choice. I hestitate to mention the name in case I lose it too. Put it this way I have only seen it mentioned here once, and that was a drive by viewing.

The other places I emailed were Costa Verde, verde del Mar, casitas Eclipse, hotel california, villas el parque.

anyone have any recommendations? I haven't emailed , Momos, La Colina, Hotel espadilla, villa bosque, or vela bar yet.

I don't want to be too anxious but I don't want to be stupid either.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:18 AM

Dear Paula,
I just made some calls for you, to several hotels in MA - and I found only one that has a room for these dates. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about the hotel, but since you don't have a lot of options, I would probably go for it... The hotel is called la colina (www.lacolina.com) and I talked to Dan. He couldn't save a room for me for you, but I did tell him that you will call him (at 777-0231) and talk to him directly. The place gets recommendations in Lonely Planet. If you mention my name, Neta from Hotel La Finca Que Ama, he should give you a discount. Please contact him soon, as I don't believe he will have the room for long.
I hope it helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, and make sure to let me know if everything went well with Dan (if you can't call, please let me know as well). eel free to write directly to my email.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM

You might want to check the price of phone calls from your area to Costa Rica. If a call is only a dollar or two, I'd make some calls, rather than wait for emails. (Some phone cards offer cheap calls to CR.) The first hotel you call may be booked up but may know of others that aren't.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone

Neta a super thanks to you! I was able to talk to Dan and get the first 2 nites in an ocean view suite, the other 4 in a reg room. I am so impressed that you made such an effort to call hotels for me. You are a real sweetheart.

I saw your website for your beautiful Hotel La Finca Que Ama and someday we will have to visit. It looks beautiful!

Thanks again.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:06 AM

I faced the same situation for New Year's this year. I called just about every hotel in the area, including ones that were way out of my price range. Finally, I started calling/e-mailing random hotels that I found on the internet.

We finally got a response from Hotel El Mango Moon in Manuel Antonio (www.mangomoon.net, tel: 506.777.5323). The place is a new small B&B run by a really nice American family. The hotel is near Hotel Mariposa (good location) and has a small private beach, although the walk is a bit treacherous. The only negative is that there isn't a pool, but its a relatively easy walk or drive to the main beach, which is where we spent our time anyway. The hotel is fantastic, the view is great, the food is great....I could go on. The only reason you don't hear about it yet is that the place is just a few months old. And for that reason, they might have an opening.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:07 AM

Dear Paula,
It was nice talking to you too...
I am glad things worked out with La Colina and Dan (did you get the discount?).
Please write a trip report when you are back.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi Neta,
No, he said the discount wasn't possible in high season, but that's ok I was happy to get the reservation. = )
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:08 AM

Katie,
Thanks for the lead on Mango Moon - it looks wonderful! Definitely on my list for future trips.
Terri
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM

paula, we are booked at la colina for 4 nights in march. they have been very courteous and timely in their communications with us. i chose them on the basis of guidebook recommendations and this site as well as other sites. they appealed with view rooms, ac, pool and more intimate that si como no. not to mention very good price for the 3 of us. please post a trip report when you get back or e mail me and let me know how your trip to MA went. would really appreciate any suggestions. we are not leaving until the march 10. thanks and have fun!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

The villa we did not take was Hotel Mirador del Pacifico. We did end up taking Hotel Colina, thanks to Neta (La Finca Que Ama, www.costaricafinca.com)

Dan was extremely nice at La Colina. I will definately post a trip report when we get back. If anyone needs it, the Mirador has one villa (one of 3) open for Feb 13 to Feb 19. It looked really nice, but La Colina was on my list, so I was happy to get it. I cannot believe Neta went out of her way to call around and check for hotels for me, a stranger, without even asking. Such a nice person.

Susie2,if you get this I hope you are busy hiding the notes at the Peace Lodge, and thanks again for everyone's help.