Villa de la Selva - Manuel Antonio

Jan 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Villa de la Selva - Manuel Antonio

Has anyone ever stayed here? If so, how was it? It was in Fodor's guidebook, but I have not seen any reviews. I have 2 kids (ages 6 & 8) and cannot decide if Si Como No is worth the money. So, I'm trying to come up with other options. Thanks!
Jan 27th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Villas de la Selva is opposite Hotel Costa Verde. It has nice views, a cute pool, and the rooms are good for the price you pay. Kind of a "mom and pop" place, clean, but not fancy.

It's not in the same category as Si Como No at all. We visited rooms and grounds of Si Como No a couple of times and for us it was definately NOT worth all those extra dollars.

We stay at Hotel Costa Verde in an efficiency unit which is perfect. We also have 2 children ages 9 & 11.
Jan 27th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Just to be clear, Si Como No is more upscale than Villas de la Selva, with more amenities.

Still not worth the extra cost to us.
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Bellaboo, there is availability at Costa Verde for an efficiency in building A. This is going to be about the same rate as Villa de la Selva. Would you recommend Costa Verde above Villa de la Selva? Are the views about the same? I'm probably over analyzing this! I really appreciate your help!
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Definately Hotel Costa Verde over Villas de la Selva.

The A area of Costa Verde is nice, you "might" not have a view but it's close to the sweetest of the 3 pools.

The efficiencys are the simplest of the room types, but you never spend a lot of time "in" the rooms anyway. Views can be had as you eat breakfast at Anaconda, amazing!
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM

I have quite a few pics of Hotel Costa Verde on "Webshots". User name is faithie for the search...

I don't remember how to post the link here.
Jan 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I have never been to that website. Do I click on travel and search for faithie?

Also, have you ever heard of Villa Mymosa? I just got an email back from them, and that looks promising too. However, I will probably go with Costa Verde. I had seen some negative comments about them on tripadvisor, but I guess all hotels will have some bad comments. Thanks!
Jan 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Yes, I've read the negative reviews....mostly about the frondesk staff who can be a little "cool". We had a few who were like that, but no big deal to us. We still find it the most convenient. You'll have to decide.

We found groundskeepers, housekeeping, and the restaurant staff great. Villas Mymosa looks sweet, never stayed there though. It's closer to Quepos than MA, while CV is closer to MA.
Jan 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Here is an easier way for my pics.

Type "faithie" into the above search box, my old moniker before new computer.

Then scroll down to #7 of my posts....should be " A cockroach, a gecko etc.....

my link to pics is there, hubby helped that time, lol!!!
Jan 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Sorry, once onto my webshots page just look for my Costa Rica album.
Jan 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

The pictures were great. I can't wait to go. How many times have you been, Faithie? It seems like you have so much information about CR. I'm probably going to have some more questions if you don't mind.
Jan 28th, 2008, 03:19 AM

I've been to Costa Rica 4 x, but there are others here who are much more knowledgable than I, lol!!!(Shillmac, Tully).

I help when I can!

So be sure to ask away, you'll recieve lots of helpful information.
Jan 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Costa Verde is awesome, you'll have a great stay there, both of the restaurants there are very good too. Have fun!
Jan 29th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

One more question, and I will give it a rest - I promise! Why do you recommend Costa Verde over villa de la Selva? Is it b/c there are 3 pools? Villa's website says there is beach access via a path, so that sounds good to me. Also, the website says the room comes w/ great ocean views. Did you say they are beside each other?
Jan 29th, 2008, 06:01 AM

No, nothing to do at all with the 3 pools.

And as far as the path is concerned, it's still a good hike on it to get to the beach.....u could use this same path from Costa Verde which is "right there".

Both sit fairly high on the hill above the beach, the best way to get down to the beach is to hop on the bus which passes every 15 minutes and costs .25 cents pp.

We've walked a few times from Costa Verde, but bus or cab is best.

Villas de la Selva is more "basic" than CV. CV is a bit more "polished".
Both are fine choices, if it's a $$ question and your room at Selva is a lot less, go for it and just eat at CV etc.
Jan 29th, 2008, 06:04 AM

CV is a very spread out property, with different villas and units spead about....Villas de la Selva is actually across the road from the main CV area although the "D-Unit" of CV is DIRECTLY next to Selva.
Jan 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It helps!