Hotels with Best Beaches on Riviera Maya

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching honeymoons in the Caribbean and I'm now including the Riviera Maya in my consideration. I was doing some reading about Royal Hideaway and get the distinct impression there are hotels with much better beaches due to erosion problems that hotel has had. However, that got me wondering if the erosion has affected the entire Riviera Maya and if none of the hotels along that stretch would be in any better shape. I've been looking primarily in the stretch from South Cancun through Playa del Carmen, and would value any inputs about what (very nice) hotels have the best beaches, but also if "the best" isn't necessarily that great because of erosion or other factors. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:30 AM

Maroma is on this beach...

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/166a-t.html
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Is that good? I'm not sure that I've seen enough arial views of beaches to know if that looks great or is rough.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:08 PM

Click on the arrows to go up or down the beach and see for yourself.

You might also want to try Escencia on Xpu-ha beach.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM

Oops...Maroma is actually here...

http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/161a-t.html
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:20 PM

According to the travel channel, Maroma is on the best beach in the Carribbean. (I haven't seen it personally, but I'm sure it's great)!

JW Marriott and Ritz in Cancun are on incredible beaches too.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

okay, THAT looks beautiful.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM

And..if you are looking for Esencia (I spelled it wrong before)...

http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...nformation.htm
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM

Maroma must be a fantastic place if its good enough for Tom Cruise. He took his new love Katie Holmes and his children there according to the tabloids and lets face it don't celebrities go to the best places.Personally I stayed at the Royal Hideaway last fall. I loved it, it was great.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:50 PM

I know it's not in the region you were looking but as far as honey moon places go I would have to mention Azulik. A bit rustic but luxurious.
It was amazing and has a pretty quiet private beach.
There are 15 cottages. Ithink we were in #4 and i looked at them all--
amazing.
If you do honeymoon there consider a trip to Tulum.

Ask me questions about Azulik or tulum.
Wonderful food and so romantic.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:38 AM

We have visited several places in the Carribean and a few in Mexican Riveria. We were just in Cancun and Playa De Carmen last year. I can tell you erosion in Mexico was not a problem for us, PDC had an amazing beach, however, extremely busy (Aug)and not very romantic and secluded.

In Cancun we stayed at JW Marriott, nice place, but the beach was narrow and the sun was blocked by the hotel by early afternoon. So,we were disappointed with beach area there. PDC's beach much better, stayed at Rui Palace.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for, if it's seclusion, I would opt for something other than PDC and Cancun, these beaches are all very busy, we've been in summer and at Thanksgiving.

For an absolute amazing honeymoon atmosphere, you should check out the Cook Islands in the S. Pacific. It made the carribean look ordinary. My opinion of course, and I love the Carribean. The carribean is pretty expensive and we were able to go to the cooks for the same price as we would spend in Carribean. They use the New Zealand $ and at the time we went (2yrs ago) it was 2-1 and we went in our summer, their winter and got great deals, it was still warm, just chilly in the evening. It's a smaller, less know area, and considered a small version of Tahiti. So much less expensive and they are extremely friedly and speak English, not French.

Good luck! If you need specific info. on Carribean, let me know, I've been to Virgin Islands, Cayman, Jamaica, Cancun, PDC, Cozumel, can't remember the others!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:05 AM

Cookhound, when did you stay at JW Marriott? I was there last August, and beach wasn't narrow at all, and there was plenty of sun! I wonder if the hurricanes took some of the beach away after we left...
I was also at the beach by the Royal Hideaway last year, and thought the Cancun beach much much better...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM

We were at JW in Nov. for Thanksgiving. Maybe it was the time of year, but yeah, when the sun made it over the tower rooms, no sun to lay out, and the beach was pretty narrow compared to PDC and other places I've been, it was very disappointing.