Recommendations on hotels with best beaches

May 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Recommendations on hotels with best beaches

Would like to stay at all inclusive hotel on either Playa del Carmen area and possibly Cozumel. A nice beach area is particularly important. Any recommodations would be appreciated.
May 14th, 2017, 05:43 AM

It would really help if we had a budget. There is are MANY resorts with nice beaches. Do you want adults only? Do you want a resort with lots of activities and nightlife or more laid back?
The Playacar area just outside of PLaya del Carmen has several resorts and the beach there is very nice.
If you want adults only and have $$$ to spend, look into Secrets Maroma. If you want more quiet but with a beautiful beach, look into Catalonia Royal Tulum which is also adults only.
May 14th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Question about these beaches in Yucatan: Can you pretty much depend on calm water all year round? I see photos where there are fairly big waves and lots of chop..... Would go myself if I knew when I could be assured of swimming in a flat , warm sea..
May 14th, 2017, 07:22 AM

There is no guarantee. It all depends on Mother Nature. Some areas are calmer than others but no way to assure a flat, warm sea.
May 14th, 2017, 12:06 PM

Nicest beaches IMO would be ABBWR (Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness) in Akumal where I was supposed to be May 1 (going in fall instead) or runner up would be CRT on Xpu-Ha beach.
For Non-AI I would stay at Hotel Akumal Caribe or a nice condo on Isla Mujeres, maybe Nautibeach, or Na Balam hotel on Playa Norte,, beautiful calm beach, shallow for a very long way out.
May 15th, 2017, 04:41 AM

Barcelo, hands down.
May 15th, 2017, 08:18 AM

As for calm water beaches- many are, some aren't. Beaches on a bay or protected by the reef are generally pretty calm. Calmer beaches would include Puerto Morelos, Playa Del Carmen, Akumal, Soloman Bay. Tulum's beaches are beautiful but can get pretty rough. Of course if it's a very breezy day, there can be waves anywhere.
May 15th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input regarding the beaches. Regarding the various all inclusive hotels is there a website or website that you utilize to rank the various hotels. Reading the reviews that all seem to be so very subjective based on the visitor's experience either positive or negative.
May 15th, 2017, 11:34 AM

Barcelo has a captive dolphin pool so I would eliminate that along with Bahia Principe and Grand Sirenis who also do.
May 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM

Is there not a season where there is a greater chance of calm waters?

Many thanks and so sorry for barging in to this thread with semi-unrelated question!!
May 16th, 2017, 10:50 PM

Barcelo is wonderful and built in a cove (two really withbthe whole complex) and has an amazing beach. We love it there and my little kids have never had issue so with large waves. Been in a couple different seasons and gray every time. If you have kids, it has one of the best kids clubs around. Highly recommend
May 17th, 2017, 12:48 PM

Yes, Barcelo has two somewhat protected coves and many natural reefs right off shore where you can just walk into the water and have great snorkeling. Not a fan of Dolphin pools but I don't let that determine where I go.
May 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM

"Regarding the various all inclusive hotels is there a website or website that you utilize to rank the various hotels. "

I did months and months of research, checking different web sites reading reviews, etc. Best thing is to make a list of the things most important to you and narrow it down. For instance one thing that I had to have was A/C in the restaurants. This one thing narrowed it down significantly.

Tripadvisor is invaluable for the sheer amount of pictures and reviews. Oyster.com is another one, and of course Fodors.
May 28th, 2017, 02:12 AM

I would probably recommend the Riviera Maya, Cancun isn't my first choice, but they do have very nice resorts with gorgeous beaches.

My first choice would be Cozumel. The beaches here are stunning, with so many shades of blue. But to be honest, the nicest beaches that I have ever seen are deserted beaches in Cozumel that are protected. You'll have to rent a jeep or take a private jeep tour, as caravan tours won't take you there. Its off the beaten path, and they say the beach is growing unlike most the beaches that are slowly being eaten away because of development. The beaches are located on the East Coast of Cozumel, where there is no development on the beaches, and barely any buildings at all, and mainly wooden huts that are small restaurants. Its like taking a step back in time.