Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Which resorts are on nice beaches in Riviera Maya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi:

I've been looking diligently for a resort for a Mexican riviera honeymoon. I have zeroed in on Ceiba del Mar, however, I've noticed that the beach gets a thumbsdown on many boards.

This will be a honeymoon, therefore, we want luxury. Unfortunately though, we don't want to spend an arm and a leg (thus eliminating Maroma). I'd like to find something that costs no more than $3700 for two adults, factoring in airfare, hotel, food, etc..., for 7 nights out of New Orleans.

Royal Hideaway Playacar seems to have a nice beach. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, any other resorts in the area that would fit the attainable luxury and nice beach specifications?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM

Al Cielo in Xpu-Ha or Ana y Jose (a suite) in Tulum. Both are at the max. $200/nt. Both are on beautiful beaches.

I've heard (tripadvisor) - don't know if true - that beach in front of Royal Hideaway was washed away with Hurricane Ivan.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM

We're staying at the Riu Palace this summer, which is a few doors down from the Royal Hideaway. I've read that RH beach is definitely gone, but down around the Palace and south is ok. Have also read that although it is worse this year due to the hurricane, it tends to happen this time of year and should be better by summer. Beaches can come and go overnight. Another nice AI on the Riviera Maya is the Grand Palladium Colonial and Kantenah. Check www.locogringo for excellent info on the Mayan Riviera, Photos and forums.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:41 AM

Unfortunately it's not much more possible to predict what the beach will be like in any given place at any given time in the future than it is to try to predict, say, whether it will rain very much during your trip. Beaches change all the time, as part of various natural cycles. An excellent recent discussion on this can be found on PlayaInfo at

http://playadelcarmeninfo.com/playa-...ad.php?t=13079

Steve
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:29 AM

We just got back from Royal Hideaway, and absolutely loved it. We booked through travel-center.com, the price was good and we got just the room we wanted. The beach has definitely eroded (they've put in sandbags to stop further erosion), but you can still walk down the beach past other resorts, and there's plenty of sand to hang out for the RH guests. The message board on playadelcarmeninfo.com has a current thread with photos.

Pat