Riviera Maya best beaches???

Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya best beaches???

My husband and I want to go to Riviera Maya for our 25th wedding anniversary. We've been told that the beaches aren't that great. Can anyone tell me where to go in Riviera Maya for the best, beautiful beach? And which resort is great?
Thanks everyone!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The beaches are beautiful in the Riviera Maya. What else are you looking for? Do you want an all inclusive, adults only, big resort, small hotel, condo, etc??????
You ask which resort is "great"....if it is an all inclusive you are looking for check into the Iberostar Paraiso Grand, Secrets Maroma, Royal Hideaway.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
KVR

The Riviera Maya has recently completed over the last year a beach update. We were just there in December and saw a remarkable difference over the past few years we've been there. Maroma Beach and Akumal have wonderful beaches. Yes, there are still some areas with there is rock and strong currents, so research hotels carefully.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

schmerl,we want an all inclusive resort/hotel, and we want to visit the mayan ruins.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM

The Riu Palace is one of favorites and close to Playa del Carmen, which is the cutest little town - Fifth Ave has cobblestone street (no cars can drive on it) and lined with restaurants and shops. Only a five dollar cab from Riu Palace, which is a great all-inclusive. We have stayed at Allegro also but highly recommend the Palace. The beaches had to be restored after they were destroyed by a hurricane about five years ago, believe me they are wonderful now compared. The government spent millions pumping offshore sand because there was no beach left. If you go further south in Riviera Maya, you will find beaches that did not get as damaged but they are all beautiful now. It is hard to explain until you see it though...
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM

The beaches around Tulum are among the most beautiful I've ever seen. Long wide stretches of sugar white sand with very few people around. Lots of eco lodging but all of them are quite small and low impact so even at high season and full occupancy, it still feels like you've got the place to yourselves. Heavenly!!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
KVR

For AI on a great beach, look at Secrets Maroma and the El Dorado Maroma. Also, check out the Iberostar Grande Parisio.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stick with my original suggestions then...Iberostar Paraiso Grand, Secrets Maroma and Royal Hideaway. Also the Royal Playa del Carmen. All are adults only all inclusive resorts with great food and service and big beaches. The Royal Playa del Carmen may have a busier beach than the others since it is right in the town of Playa.
All of them would be great places to celebrate a special anniversary.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

You guys are such an amazing help! You're all fantastic!!! Merci, merci, merci!!! OK, now at least, I have choices!!! The adults only sounds really good, specially The Royal Playa del Carmen!!! WOW!! shmerl, it would definitely be a great place to celebrate our anniversary, another honeymoon!!! And I'll also check Riu Palace, Iberostar, and Secrets... No rock on those beaches, right???
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM
KVR

We stayed at the Royal Playa del Carmen a few years ago. We've been to 14 AI resorts in Mexico and throughout the Caribbean and found the Royal to be the best. They have completed a renovation and added a new pool since we have been there. The food was great and they are located within a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. You can also eat in the resturants at their sister hotel, the Gran Porto Real, across the street. Maria, Maria was very good. We were just in that area in December and the beach there is great.

We have not stayed at Secrets Maroma, ElDorado Maroma or The Iberostar Grand Parasio, but we would. They are often highly recommended. We have been to Maroma beach several times as they run snorkeling and dinner cruises from there. The beach is one of the best in that area.

I would avoid the RIU's. The reservation system for their ala cart restuarants are a pain. You have to get up early and stand in line for a reservation. Otherwise, you eat in the buffet. They are a budget friendly AI hotel chain. The others mentioned are quite a step above.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM

I do agree, the reservations for the ala carte restaurants can be a pain, but you can make all reservations at once and we do like to eat dinner out a lot, so it was not a big deal to us. We like AI for the drinks mainly and not having to sign at bars and such. As far as Secrets and such you are talking about a MUCH different pricepoint considering all the rooms at the Palace are jetted tubs and have living areas. Good thing there are some many choices out there - for so many different "budgets". The Riu has many properties in Riviera maya, depending on your budget as well.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Whichever one you book, mention in the booking that it's your 25th anniversary. Some of these places have special deals and privileges for special events such as weddings and anniversaries.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Bookmarking.