Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Eating Economically in Cancun - Need Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:30 AM
tene

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Cancun Nov. 16th. It's his first time and we are staying at Le Meridian. However, they didn't have an all -inclusive option so we will need to eat out each day. Can anyone recommend some nice, but not too pricey places for dinner & breakfast? I used to go to Captain's Cove each morning which had a great buffet for only about $7, but this was 6 years ago and I don't know how the restaurant scene is anymore. Help!!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:12 AM
Lacey

The restaurant scene can be quite expensive in Cancun. This is why I choose all inclusive. There are some local eating places in the heart of downtown Cancun that are reasonably priced for lunch and dinner. I'm not sure about breakfasts though.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:40 AM
Jean Valjean

100% Natural is a very reliable choice. They have great, fresh food and very reasonable prices (for Cancun or anywhere). There's one in Plaza Kukulcan, one in Plaza Myamar and another downtown. The Taco Inn chain is also good and inexpensive.<BR><BR>If not, there's always Burger King.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 04:48 PM
cindy

Try this website, www.entertainment-plus.net and let me know how it works out. We are going to buy one of these cards the next time we go to Mexico.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:53 PM
Dee

Captain's Cove is still there and continues to have breakfast specials in that price range. They have an even cheaper "continental" breakfast that is around $4.00. Highly recommended for dinner as well, beautiful sunsets on the lagoon.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:33 AM
tene

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been doing some research online and there are some very expensive restaurants. Cindy, I did got to that website for the entertainment card, but I'm not sure if I want to buy it yet. They don't cover many restaurants. Their tours seem very expensive as well.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:26 AM
Robert

I enjoy eating at the many restaurants "off the beaten track" in the central area. I know that many people will be afraid of that option but I have been going to Cancun since its start and never have a problem. Just use your own good judgement and you will be OK.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
hector

For dinner I like hoping on the bus to downtown and eating on that row of restaurants across from that big fountain. Good food, good prices.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 04:41 PM
michele

My husband and I bought the entertainment card last year on our trip and used it almost every night. At the nicer restaurants (such as the Blue Bayou), dinner for two with the card will still end up costing around $50 to $60.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Judi

Michele - we are going to Cancun this December with our 3 teens. We thought we might get two of the cards. I understand we can use them both at the same time. Do you think this would be a good idea for us? Did you get it through Brant Boston?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Fran

Purchase the 2x1 card it will pay for it self with your first meal.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:18 AM
michele

Yes to both questions. I think it would be a good idea to purchase 2 cards and I did buy it from Brandt.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Karen

I believe that Captain's Cove will be closed for about 6 weeks to enlarge the kitchen and perhaps replace the roof.