Search

Resturant help in Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:03 PM
Craig

Resturant help in Cancun

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice (and or fun) resturant in Cancun? We are staying at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach and would like some suggestions. We like seafood, but we are not locked in to that for an option.<BR>Thanks for all the info!<BR>Craig/Dede

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:44 PM
Nancy

Definitely Maria Bonita for fun and very good food.<BR>El Pescador in downtown Cancun (take a taxi) for the best seafood in town. HUGE menu with also Mexican specialties. Very friendly owners also.<BR>La Habichuela is the most romantic and has great food. (Also in downtown Cancun.)<BR>In my opinion, the restaurants in town are better than those in the hotel zone.<BR>Also good is the grill at Camino Real - I think it's called La Brisas.<BR>If you want the best service to be found (food can be great or just so-so) the Ritz Carlton is a wonderful experience.<BR>Some of the places that advertise the most are the worst. Avoid chains and cutesy places where they make you wear a sombrero or the place has a silly name. Food is lame.<BR>The Rain Forest Cafe is a fun place with or without kids for lunch. We sat in the really cool bar swilling tequila and listened to jungle noises and watched the (animatronic) gorillas.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:42 PM
Craig

Nancy,<BR>Thanks for all the great suggestions and info! Any other tips or suggestions about Cancun? I tried to e-mail you directly but the message came back undeliverable(?).<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Craig/Dede

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:22 AM
Nancy

Hello again,<BR>How long are you going for?<BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:25 AM
Sant

El Pescador is good but you don't need to take a taxi. Just ride the bus to downtown Cancun and when it comes to the second stop on Ave. Tulum (Cancun's main street) get off and go to your left. Juat ask a local and they'll point oyu in the right direction.<BR><BR>While in Cancun you should try the local, authentic Yucatecan cuisine. The two places I recommend from this are 1) Labna, next to La Habicuela, or 2) Los Almendros, next to the bullring, both in downtown cancun.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:41 AM
Craig

We will not be there for long this trip. We will be there for 3 days and four nights.<BR><BR>Craig

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Nancy

Well, if you only have a few days, I would try to take a snorkeling trip out to a reef. (I recommend Fury.)<BR>Maybe a day trip over to Isla Mujeres or to Playa del Carmen.<BR>Or, you could just lie on the beautiful beach all day! <BR>When you go back and have more time, try a ferry trip from PDC over to Cozumel, a trip to Chichen Itza (I recommend flying in), and a trip down highway 307 stopping at Akumal, Tulum and Tankah. <BR>There is good shopping at the enclosed malls to beat the heat. <BR>Have fun!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Mike

I was in Cancun in 1998 and my wife and I still talk about the meal we had at Daddy Rock. We call it the seafood feeding frenzy. We may have travlled off peak because the deal they gave us was great. It was a lobster, crab, shrimp, whitefish, etc. for about $40 for two people. Plus, they had some deal that as long as you are eating there you drink for free. As soon as they dropped the plate down we ordered drinks and drinks and drinks and they didn't charge us. Don't know if they will give you that deal or not, since it was kinda slow when we went. Lastly, this place was way fun, very light hearted and the service was great. Can't recommend it enough...

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Dougout

Dear C&D - Nancy's advice is very good. LaHabichuela is absolutely a great dining experience. We also enjoy Pat O'Brien's for dinner when we don't want to get dressed. Not gourmet but a good time. Have fun.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:20 AM
W

I just got back from Cancun 2 days ago. I did notice the seafood deal that was previously mentioned at Dady Rock. I was surprised at how cheap it was, and free drinks! We ate at La Distileria (sp?) and it was great! I had the best margarita I have ever had in my life! And it was terribly expensive, about $75 for drinks and dinner for 2!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 11:22 AM
w

I meant to say "wasn't" terribly expensive!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Stacy

La Habichuela was our favorite by far. The food was amazing. A wonderful ceasar salad was prepared table side. My husband had this amazing lobster dish served in a coconut shell. The setting is outside in almost an alley, with lot's of trees. Romantic. We'll never forget that dinner.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Sandy

Hi - I agree with Le Habitchula. Just make sure to ask for the garden room. For a fun night we go to Pericos also downtown. There's shots, conga lines and lots of craziness.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:19 AM
loangalsal

Habichuela (SP?) gets another vote! Best dinner we had in Cancun both as far as food goes as well as atmosphere! Service was also good there. Highly recommended.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:33 PM
dougout

The seafood in a coconut shell is called Coco a LaHabichuela and is now about $ 27 US. It is fantastic as are the bananas flambe and the Irish coffe or cafe Irlandes. Both are prepared tableside. You must sit in the garden and Juan is an excellent and venerable server.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:44 AM
keith

Craig, We had a great time at la disterella(sp). Let the waiter pick your tequella. Be sure and have a slush for dessert. The food was great. I suggest you go there for a fun lunch.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Geri

My favorite Cancun restaurant is La Parilla in old Cancun. It's a bit past Perico's, which I found to be annoying and lacking in menu variety. Look for the huge al pastor (it looks like gyros, but it's pork basted with pineapple, among other things) on the spit outside. The Margaritas are the best in Cancun and the taco assortment is delicious. Ask for the grilled cebollitas-sp? (green onions) on the side. YUM!