Search

9 hour layover in Lima

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Jen

9 hour layover in Lima

We have a 9 hour layover between our Cuzco to Lima, Lima to Iquitos flights. Can anyone tell me if there is luggage storage at the Lima airport? We were thinking of leaving our luggage, then going into town to visit some of the museums and sites. Additionally, I was wondering how far the airport is from the city's center. Any estimates on cost of a cab or private transport round trip? Thanks for the help.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Jen

One more quick question, we're on sort of a tight schedule, so we've only allocated most of one day and the night in Cuzco to acclimate to the elevation change before heading up to Macchu Pichu. <BR><BR>I feel that this is enough time because we have been able to go from 0 elevation to 10,000 feet (San Francisco to Vail, Colorado) in a day with few physical problems. Are there other factors specific to the Andes that we are unaware of that may cause us problems due to the elevation change? Thanks.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 09:00 PM
davarian

Hi Jen,<BR><BR>You can securely leave your stuff at the JORGE CHAVEZ INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (Lima): <BR>The service is on the main concourse. You can leave luggage for days or hours at the following rates: US$ 3.00 per day per unit or US$ 1.00 per hour per unit.<BR><BR>For more info about the airport you can visit:<BR>http://www.lap.com.pe/<BR><BR>click on English: Enter.<BR>Then select SERVICES TO PASSENGERS / VISITORS GUIDE<BR><BR>For things to see in Lima grab up the lonely planet guide to Peru. The airport is about 40 minutes to 90 minutes away from different attractions in the city. Typical tourist rates for a taxi in the airport are in the 15-25$ range. If you are Spanish savvy you can get a cheaper rate. Or if you walk out of the airport and get a taxi from the main road it is significantly cheaper (don’t do this if you are a novice at travel, or a woman alone). Make sure the taxi is not saying per-person before you agree to a price!<BR><BR>Cusco is at 11,024 ft elevation. Sounds like you can pull everything off in one day and a night no problem. After arriving in cusco drink a lot of water (bottled) and have coca tea at the horel. Pace yourself for the afternoon but stay active (lots to see in cusco). <BR><BR>Machu Picchu is about 1200 feet lower. If you are taking the train to machu picchu is cool to stay overnight in aguas claientes so you can visit the ruins again in the early morning before all the tourists arrive.<BR><BR>There is a bunch of info about peru at peruperu.com<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>Let me know how everything goes,<BR>Dav<BR>[email protected]<BR>

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Karen

Jen,<BR>You can leave your luggage at the customer service desk at the Lima airport. Hop a taxi to the Plaza Mayor, should be around $15 - $25 US, and around 45 minutes or so, depending on the traffic. Lovely cathedral in the Plaza Mayor and several cafes for food, coffee or drinks. You could also hop a cab from the Plaza Mayor to the Gold Museum for less then $5 US. And then back to the airport.<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Jen

davarian and Karen,<BR><BR>Thanks SO much for your help! I love getting such great responses to my posts.