oxygenated hotel rooms in Cusco?

May 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

oxygenated hotel rooms in Cusco?

Are there hotels other than the Monasterio that offer rooms with oxygen? We want to sleep well and avoid altitude sickness as much as possible, but of course that hotel is quite pricey. Also, what is the quickest/best way to get from the Cusco airport if we want to go right to Ollantaytampo?
May 11th, 2010, 11:29 PM

I don't know about hotels with oxygenated rooms but plenty will have access to pure oxygen cylinders. We stayed at http://www.torredorada.com.pe/ which did have these and they made the world of difference. I was affected quite badly with severe headaches etc. and found that 30 mins or so with a mask really helped. If it wears off you can always have another shot. I am not sure that sleeping in an oxygenated room is the best idea as you do need to get acclimatised at some point and I would imagine that this would delay acclimatisation rather than accelerate it.

The best way to smooth the transition to altitude isundoubtedly, as you are considering, to go straight to Olly which is at a lower altitude for a night or two. The best and quickest way of getting there from the airport is by taxi either pre-arranged with your hostal/hotel (expensive but less hassle) or by picking up a taxi at the airport (cheaper but potentially more hassle). Either way, keep your wits about you on arrival as there are loads of taxi scams going on at the airport (false name cards, drivers calling your name etc..)
May 14th, 2010, 04:06 AM

Oxygen rooms are scams actually PREVENT you from adjusting

Take Diamox go low first to www.casa-andina.com Sacred Valley

for a couple of days to adjust then back up to Cusco

Altitude sickness may develop in travelers who ascend rapidly to altitudes greater than 2500 m, including those in previously excellent health. Being physically fit in no way lessens the risk of altitude sickness. Those who have developed altitude sickness in the past are prone to future episodes. The risk increases with faster ascents and higher altitudes. Symptoms of acute mountain sickness, the most common form of the disorder, may include headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, malaise, insomnia, and loss of appetite. Severe cases may be complicated by breathlessness and chest tightness, which are signs of pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), or by confusion, lethargy, and unsteady gait, which indicate cerebral edema (brain swelling).

Altitude sickness may be prevented by taking acetazolamide 125 or 250 mg twice daily starting 24 hours before ascent and continuing for 48 hours after arrival at altitude.

www.mdtravelhealth.com Peru
May 14th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Just hop in a LABELED cab from CUZ to www.ollantaytambo.org

from $20 or so
May 18th, 2010, 07:41 AM

I just drank plenty of water and moved slowly for the first day or two. My co-travellers took the pills and they got sick regardless. Most of the hotels have an oxygen tank in the lobby you can use (no charge). I worried for days before my trip and it was senseless. Relax, breath deeply and enjoy wonderful awesome Peru
May 18th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks, all. I feel better already!
May 20th, 2010, 06:53 AM

We stayed at Plaza De Armas hotel in Cuzco. Several people had problems with the altitude. They just went to the lobby and the staff would bring you over an oxygen clinder with mask until you felt better. Never a charge, no matter how often you needed it.