Search

Driving in CR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in CR

Hi,

As you might know from my earlier posts we will be leaving for Costa Rica in December for the 4th time over the past 6 years.

Some of the recent comments have me concerned about driving in Costa Rica as this trip as my in-laws will be joining us for this trip. Our kids ages 12 and 10 will also go with us again

As there will be 6 of us this time we have rented a van as we will be driving from SJ to MA to Malpais on to Samara and finally off to Arenal.

My concern is over the recent posts about highway bandits as we have driven the last three trips with the only issue being with the Police on the last trip as we got caught in a speed trap where they wanted $20.00 to let us go.

We will not be driving at night nor will we be driving in SJ so I am hoping we will be o.k. but, none the less I am concerned, as if it was just the wife and I it wouldn't be much of an issue. Now, with the in-laws and kids being with us I want to take every precaution possible.

Any ideas on what else I can do to ensure our safety? Also, we have driven from Arenal to MA and from Arenal to Malpais but have not driven from MA to Malpais. Should we take the ferry and if so is there a website that has the departure times?

Thanks, as I can't wait to be in Costa Rica again and am hoping this trip goes as smooth as the last 3.

Jim
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Stay out of San Jose, do not leave any belongings in your car - ever, and do not stop for anyone, drive to a safe location, even on a flat. Have a safe wonderful trip & report back when you return.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Jim, yes, you'll need the ferry. For ferry times, check out:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Always double check them a day or two before you arrive at the ferry. Have your hotel call in case they don't post changes immediately on the website.

Have a great time! Sounds like a winning itinerary!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, we are looking forward to it as we always have such a good time and this time we are visiting Samara for the first time. We have taken the ferry before 4 years ago and it was good but last time we went the line was very long so we ended up driving to Malpais. Any idea on the wait for the ferry in December or which time is best as we will be driving from MA?

Thanks,
Jim
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Nope--wish I could be more help. Usually we've not had to wait long, but once the lines were so long we had to drive around the long way. It was awful, but at least we were air-conditioned. Arrived about the same time as we would have if we'd sat and waited for the next available ferry. We opted for moving and AC!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Regarding the ferry. I went last year in late Nov early Dec and we were about an hour - 1.5 hours early to the ferry from Puntarenas to....the other side, going to Mal Pais aka the southern port on Nicoya. (b/c there are two, and if you are going to Samara you want to go from Puntarenas to the norther port). Got on no problem. However the way back we were an hour early but still had to wait for the 2nd ferry b/c there were so many cars.

There are actually two sized ferries - a big one and a smaller one. So if you are not VERY early for the small one you may have to wait for the next one. Even on the larger ferry there were long lines and people who had to wait for the 3rd ferry to come.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I'm sorry to put this question here but I need help!!
With the "new look"on the fodors talk page I can't figure out how to post a new topic. I've looked everywhere and I even sent an e-mail to the help, but no reply... I'm leaving in 2 weeks for Costa rica and I still have a few questions.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Under the blue heading on the left that says "Latin America" there is a heading that says "post a new message" in small type. Click on the red box that has two arrows in it.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Under latin america it says Fodor's new look in blue. Than it goes right to the last post.