Search

Puntarenas Ferry to Paquera

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puntarenas Ferry to Paquera

Any tips on taking this Ferry. Is it really 2 to 3 hours from San Jose? Is the area around Puntarenas safe? First trip to CR, 14 in our group heading to Montezuma. One of my concerns is not being able to make any of the ferrys. Can anyone please shed some light.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM

The drive from San Jose is about 2 hours (to Puntarenas). Perhaps a little less, with some kind of luck!

Puntarenas is not someplace I'd care to hang out, but for the purpose of catching the ferry, it's fine! You need to be there about 30 min-1 hour early, get your passenger tickets (they walk on), your vehicle/driver ticket (you drive it on), etc. Once you have the tickets, you'll get your car in line. As soon as the ferry comes in and unloads, passengers and vehicles can begin loading back on for the return crossing.

Ferry times are subject to change. You can check www.nicoyapeninsula.com for posted times, but it would be a good idea to have a hotel or someone who can make a phone call double check for you upon arrival. We've crossed a few times and have never had the problem of missing the ferry. We usually arrive about an hour early, get our tickets, and then spend the time looking around and getting a snack.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Puntarenas is 2 hours from SJ, maybe 3 on a heavy traffic weekend. The area around the ferry landing appeared safe enough during the day we were there, we didn't stay long after the trip from Puerto Naranjo. Show up early and be prepared to wait a bit. Obviously its going to be busy on the weekends. It was a great trip - the lounge has A/C and a snack bar. From the upper deck you will see sights of the bay and ocean you won't see otherwise. I recommend it, and it fits your itinerary. Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

dncee11 and shillmac, thank you for the info it is helpful. I like to get info from people who have experienced it rather than read it from a book. I think once I get on the Ferry I can relax. Can't wait to go. shillmac, your reply's have been excellent on all the CR threads. Glad you have given many people insight on CR!!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Thank you. Just living vicariously, for the time being!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM

is this ferry open year round? any black-out dates that you know of? also how much woul it cost for 4 adults and 1 vehicle?