COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

ferry to punta islita

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

ferry to punta islita

Our HM is in less than two weeks. We are staying at Punta Islita for the last leg of our trip. Prior to PI we will be in MA. Has anyone taken the ferry from puntarenas to the Nicoya Penn., then on to Punta Islita. All suggestions welcome for the drive after the ferry arrives. Also does the ferry stop at only one port or are there many to choose from on the Nicoya side? Thanks for your help. We are trying to decide if the roads are safe enough to take a car or if we should pay 234.00 for our hour plus transfer. Seems a little pricey. Oh, also what is the cost difference to take a car on the ferry vs. just being a passenger?

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM

There is really no need to take the ferry. You can drive the whole way via the main hwy to Hwy 18, which will take you over the new Friendship bridge. This should be a shorter trip, as the ferry alone take about an hour and a half to cross the Penisula. (Yes, the ferry stops at only one place)
As for the roads, I'm not sure how they will be at that time of year, I would suggest contacting PI and asking. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Ally is correct in that you can get to PI without the ferry. If you DO elect to take it, it isn't expensive. One ticket for the car and driver, another per passenger. Total maybe $7, can't remember for sure! Also, to go to PI by ferry, you would want to take the Puntarenas-Naranjo ferry which moves toward the north slightly rather than the Puntarenas-Paquera ferry which heads southerly for those going to the southern tip of the peninsula.

As for a car, we love the freedom and flexibility of having one and find the roads to be no problem at all. Of course, we live in a rural area of the midwest and are used to less than perfect roads. The road to Punta Islita would be your most challenging, but that's just one small part of your trip, and certainly both driveable and do-able!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:37 PM

We took the ferry to Paquera about two weeks ago and then drove south to Montezuma. We also drove to Mal Pais / Santa Teresa. Those roads were bad, but in a fun sort of way. I can't imagine paying several hundred dollars for a transfer. You'll still be going over the same pot holes. I think the ferry was more like $12 for the car and extra passanger, but I can't remember for sure.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Hi LA!
I'm sure you are right about the ferry prices. I couldn't remember for sure. Have I read your report? Have you posted it? We've been in CA visiting one of our kids and I've lost track of what's been on Fodors! Hope you had a great time! If you've posted, let me know so I can read it! Or perhaps I have, and am having a "Mature Moment" right now! It happens! At any rate, welcome home!