Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is there a new bridge to the Nicoya Peninsula?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are traveling April 22-May 1 and will be going to the Nicoya Peninsula towards the end of our trip. Is there a bridge from Puntarenas to the peninsula or do you have to go by ferry? thanks, for your help and if you have any advice, we would love to hear it. Steve
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:26 PM

The new bridge is the Taiwan Friendship Bridge which crosses the Rio Tempisque near Nicoya. You still have to go by ferry from Puntarenas, which is farther south.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I've actually heard some people suggest that taking the bridge and then driving south toward Tambor and Montezuma may be quicker than taking the ferry now. I've also heard that those roads are horrible. Has anyone tried this lately? I'm curious if it might be worth our while to take the bridge there and the ferry back for some variety or if we would totally regret not just taking the ferry both ways.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM

We debated about this when we were traveling from Mal Pais to Flamingo in March. Our choices were to take the ferry to Puntarenas, then drive up and take the new bridge back across to the peninsula, OR just bypass the ferry and head north from Paquera (where the ferry is located) driving all the way. We decided that the time would be comparable, and that the ferry would save us having to drive more. After we arrived, I told my husband that I thought we could've been there about an hour earlier had we just driven up the peninsula rather than take the ferry, but he was glad not to have to drive so much (we had driven that road before a couple of years ago). It has one stretch that isn't paved between Paquera and Naranjo. Other than that, it is a typical Costa Rican road. Not awful, just not so great! It really is about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other! If one is interested in seeing more country, the drive on the peninsula might be the way to go. I think the only time you lose by taking the ferry is probably the waiting time in Paquera to get on the ferry.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks Shillmac! About the ferry... does someone have to stay with the car in transit or can we both have a drink and enjoy the views? Also, how is the scenery on the drive south from the bridge, would it be worth doing for the scenery?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:57 PM

You line up for the ferry, they bring you a token, driver stays with the car, passenger goes in and buys a ticket for the car and the passenger (the driver doesn't need a passenger ticket). So I had a ticket and my husband had a ticket for himself and the car. I walked on with the other passengers, he drove the car on, parked it and joined me up above. There is a little snack bar inside, a television, inside seating, outside seating, and climb up to the very top of the ferry (no cover) seating. I don't think there are "drinks", but certainly coke, water, I'm not sure what else.

As for the scenery, it isn't anything different from what you will see in other parts of Guanacaste. Farmland, lots of green (in August when you are going), little towns. The new bridge hooks up to the peninsula just south of Nicoya. It's just a matter of preference. The ferry is definitely an interesting experience! But rather mundane, of course, for those who use it often!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks again for all your help! We may just do the ferry both ways then. I was afraid one of us (my husban) would get stuck "underneath" with the car while I sat upstairs watching the view. By the way, we are going in July now instead of August. I can't wait!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Ahh. . this part of the country is so beautiful in July--and on through the next few months until the rains stop. You are going to LOVE it! You'll probably be glad you took the ferry. . .gives you a chance to get out of the car, let someone else do the "moving" for you! Have fun!