Jaco - dangerous?

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaco - dangerous?

I've seen a few posts about Jaco being dangerous. Is it the waves that are dangerous, or is it dangerous just to be there? Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Lot of crime, probably more than most other tourist destinations in Costa Rica. Plus the town is a bit of a hole. Not that people don't go there and have a good time and a hassle-free vacation, but with all the other nicer places to see in Costa Rica, I'd never recommend Jaco.

There are nice beaches along that part of the Pacific coast, but I wouldn't spend much time in Jaco itself.

The waves along that sector of the coast are great for surfing, but they are nothing to tangle with if you're not a very strong swimmer.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM

I was in Jaco a couple of years ago for a few days and if what you are looking for is a party town this is the place.

As far as being dangerous It didn't feel like it to me although you do see allot of shady characters and working girls so look out for pickpockets, etc.

Myself, I don't like the Jaco area and if you are looking for surf go to the Malpais area as it is laid back.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

I am not looking to surf, I only chose jaco because we need somewhere close to San Jose. (We only have one day/night for the beach) Do you have suggestions of better places, that are not farther from San Jose? Thanks!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Manuel Antonio is a better choice than Jaco and just a bit further.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Jaco has the reputation for having problems with drugs, theft, and prostitution. I'd go Manuel Antonio, but I think you'd need to increase your time frame.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

We only have 1 day and night, and unfortnately cannot increase that. (wish I could!) Manuel Antonio is just too far - it's an extra hour and a half each way, and we have to make our flight the next day. Is there nowhere else along the coast closer to San Jose that's safe? Playa Hermosa? Any of the other playas around Jaco-ish area?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM

You could fly to Quepos/MA - I think the flight from SJO is only about 30 minutes, and roundtrip is about 100 bucks. Check out Sansa and NatureAir.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
surfersmom

Or if that is as far as you can go, then just go 5 miles further south and stay at Hermosa. Beautiful black sand, close to Jaco for meals etc, but much quieter and safer. Lots of surfers out front. Pick a hotel with a pool. We have stayed at Terrazas del Pacifico and liked it. There are some reports that staff are stealing there, but we didn't find that and just keep your stuff safe, which is good advice anywhere in CR. Enjoy, you will want to come back

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

I already want to go back, and I haven't even been there yet

There's so much we want to see that we can't fit in.